Classe CA-100 Amplifiers

4.37/5 (27 Reviews) MSRP : $1495.00

100 Watts Per Channel

Submitted by Yongki Go a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2016

Bottom Line:
This amplifier is a classic Classe product. The sound through this amplifier has nice details without being bright. In fact, it is slightly warm on high frequency. Even though I recently sold my CA-100, I have had the pleasure of enjoying this very-musical amplifier for more than 12 years. So, I wrote this as a homage to this wonderful product.

Submitted by sporty a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2015

Bottom Line:
Moi, j'ai été déçu avec le Classé ca100. Il s'est avéré très instable et pas musical ,surtout a bas volume. Je l'ai remplacé par 2 anciens Altec Lansing 1594B . Les speakers utilisés a l'époque étaient des Eminent Technology Lft8.

Submitted by jim1961 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2007

Bottom Line:
The CA-100 is 100w/ch power amplifier rated into 8 ohms, 200w/ch in 4 ohms. It replaced a Krell KSA-200. The easy comparison is to compare the two since one replaced the other. My first observation was a warmer tone in the mid bass and lower mid range for the Classe. I noticed the sound stage shrink very slightly. Surprisingly, I did'nt notice any drop off in dynamics, although it certainly didnt have the full power punch of the Krell. I did develop a problem with the unit after about four years of ownership. One of the channels starting cutting out. It did this unpredictably, and it took a week for it to do this at the audio store I was instructed by Classe to take it to. To Classe's credit, they replaced the entire input board after not being able to trace the problem, and returned it to me without charge. I was one of the lucky ones that got the lifetime warranty to the original owner.

Purchased At:   Audio Dealer

Submitted by PARTS a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2007

Bottom Line:
I myself have been using the Classe CA-100 power amp for a number of years in various set ups, it is currently in use in my bedroom system.

First I have to agree with some of the view's regarding noise, it is not the quietest amp around, I have had noise problems with sensitive speakers such as Kef and with noise issues with its RCA inputs, balanced reduces the problem but does not eliminate it, of course it is less noticeable with speakers such as the Linn Kan or Rogers Studio.(though it does not get on with one of my dacs and gives quite noticeable hum when the dac is in circuit)

Noise issues though, I feel are system dependent, in particular regard with speaker sensitivity, My Kef have always been quite adept at highlighting any amplifier noise with the likes of Audio Research and the MF Nu-vista 300, and even though I cannot fault the absolute silence I get from my Krell power, I even find the Krell KRC 3 produces too much hiss for my liking.

Of course the noise issue may just be a case of equipment needing a service, but here in the UK, at not that far off £400 for a full going over by B&W, service seems a little pricey for now, particularly when it looks like I may be obtaining a second CA-100 for £400 from eBay today. (so I may experiment with bi-amping and bridging)

Regarding bass, I feel its performance is pretty dry here, and it does not dig quite as deep as some, I use Kef R107 which go down to 18hz and this amp has failed to produce the lower octaves and switched off when too much was asked of it, yet it still sounds wonderful at social levels of output with good punch and slam.
I feel works wonders with speakers such as the Rogers Studio 1 or Spendor BC1and some of the IMF and TDL transmission line models, these can be a little overblown slightly slow sounding in the bass and clearly benefit from the control and dry bass the CA-100 offers.

Overall I agree with most of the comment made in the Stereophile review of this amp, it is quite a bargain at its retail price and a superb second hand purchase, build quality is solid and superb apart from the RCA inputs which can seem a little loose fitting with certain RCA cables and the speaker terminals if using banana plugs, it really is quite capable with a variety of systems and speakers (if not over 90db and 4ohm)

Submitted by audiom3 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I'm using this amplifier to bi-amp the subwoofer section of my main speakers. But, when I first received it, I wanted to hear how it sounded, running full range. I was very surprised at how powerful it sounded, being rated at only 200w/channel into 4ohms! The ambience this amp added to my room, is amazing. Midrange is a little warmer, and the bass is really where this amp blew me away. It added so much more deep bass! It was almost like I upgraded my drivers from 10" to 12". Kick drums really thump now. Build quality is top notch! I took the cover off to have a look, and everything is neatly laid out, and it looks like very high quality parts were used. For the price, this amp cannot be beat.

Purchased At:   Private Seller