Classe CA-100 Amplifiers

4.4/5 (25 Reviews) MSRP : $1495.00

100 Watts Per Channel

Submitted by jim1961 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2007

Bottom Line:
The CA-100 is 100w/ch power amplifier rated into 8 ohms, 200w/ch in 4 ohms. It replaced a Krell KSA-200. The easy comparison is to compare the two since one replaced the other. My first observation was a warmer tone in the mid bass and lower mid range for the Classe. I noticed the sound stage shrink very slightly. Surprisingly, I did'nt notice any drop off in dynamics, although it certainly didnt have the full power punch of the Krell. I did develop a problem with the unit after about four years of ownership. One of the channels starting cutting out. It did this unpredictably, and it took a week for it to do this at the audio store I was instructed by Classe to take it to. To Classe's credit, they replaced the entire input board after not being able to trace the problem, and returned it to me without charge. I was one of the lucky ones that got the lifetime warranty to the original owner.

Purchased At:   Audio Dealer

Submitted by PARTS a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2007

Bottom Line:
I myself have been using the Classe CA-100 power amp for a number of years in various set ups, it is currently in use in my bedroom system.

First I have to agree with some of the view's regarding noise, it is not the quietest amp around, I have had noise problems with sensitive speakers such as Kef and with noise issues with its RCA inputs, balanced reduces the problem but does not eliminate it, of course it is less noticeable with speakers such as the Linn Kan or Rogers Studio.(though it does not get on with one of my dacs and gives quite noticeable hum when the dac is in circuit)

Noise issues though, I feel are system dependent, in particular regard with speaker sensitivity, My Kef have always been quite adept at highlighting any amplifier noise with the likes of Audio Research and the MF Nu-vista 300, and even though I cannot fault the absolute silence I get from my Krell power, I even find the Krell KRC 3 produces too much hiss for my liking.

Of course the noise issue may just be a case of equipment needing a service, but here in the UK, at not that far off £400 for a full going over by B&W, service seems a little pricey for now, particularly when it looks like I may be obtaining a second CA-100 for £400 from eBay today. (so I may experiment with bi-amping and bridging)

Regarding bass, I feel its performance is pretty dry here, and it does not dig quite as deep as some, I use Kef R107 which go down to 18hz and this amp has failed to produce the lower octaves and switched off when too much was asked of it, yet it still sounds wonderful at social levels of output with good punch and slam.
I feel works wonders with speakers such as the Rogers Studio 1 or Spendor BC1and some of the IMF and TDL transmission line models, these can be a little overblown slightly slow sounding in the bass and clearly benefit from the control and dry bass the CA-100 offers.

Overall I agree with most of the comment made in the Stereophile review of this amp, it is quite a bargain at its retail price and a superb second hand purchase, build quality is solid and superb apart from the RCA inputs which can seem a little loose fitting with certain RCA cables and the speaker terminals if using banana plugs, it really is quite capable with a variety of systems and speakers (if not over 90db and 4ohm)

Submitted by audiom3 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I'm using this amplifier to bi-amp the subwoofer section of my main speakers. But, when I first received it, I wanted to hear how it sounded, running full range. I was very surprised at how powerful it sounded, being rated at only 200w/channel into 4ohms! The ambience this amp added to my room, is amazing. Midrange is a little warmer, and the bass is really where this amp blew me away. It added so much more deep bass! It was almost like I upgraded my drivers from 10" to 12". Kick drums really thump now. Build quality is top notch! I took the cover off to have a look, and everything is neatly laid out, and it looks like very high quality parts were used. For the price, this amp cannot be beat.

Purchased At:   Private Seller

Submitted by proto a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
After substantial amount of auditioning at my dealer, I decided to replace my 23 year-old tweaked Nikko Alpha III MOS-FET dual mono power-amps I was warned by the dealer that it needed perhaps up to 100 hrs of break-in. I ffound this to be true. It was so-so at first and simply got better and better as time went on. I leave it on all the time. I used AQ balancced Pyton interconnects to connected to my CP35 pre-amplifier that got to match it (an excellent match) After a year of continuous operation, it is one musical amp by any standards. Excellent treble to bass balance, very transparent, and highly musical. Can't say much about the very bottom end as I am using it with the Paradigm Studio 20 v2 (bi-wired using AQ Granite) in combination with a 12" M&K 1B powered subwoofer cabinet with a replaced power amp and woofer driver. The CA-101 is highly recommended. Works well with the CP-35.

Purchased At:   Audio Visions, West

Submitted by Dave de Villiers a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
An audio system is just that - an audio "system"!
As a result, it is virtually impossible to review a single component in isolation - it is one element in a total system that includes not only the electronics, but also the listening room.

To put this review into context and perspective, the rest of the system comprises:

a. Listening Room: 27ft (L) x 26ft (W) x 11ft (H)
b. Pre-Amplifier: Classe' CP-50 with Classe' phono stage
c. Digital Source: Theta Data Basic 2 & DSPro Prime IIa
d. Vinyl Source: Linn LP12/Valhalla/Ittok/Cirkus/AT-OC5
e. Speakers: Tannoy Definition Series Model D700

The Tannoy D700's have a combination of high sensitivity (93dB/w) and low impedance (avg: 6 ohms, min: 3 ohms) - and, as a result, present a tricky load to the power amplifier. The CA-100 has never even sneezed in handling these speakers - even at very high SPL's. The Audiolab pair used to regularly activate their protection circuitry!

My musical tastes are broad and the overall combination handles all categories very well.

While I am sure that there are better power amplifiers on the market - few, if any, offer the value for money of the Classe' CA-100.

I've never regretted the purchase in what is now 5 years of very happy usage.

Purchased At:   Audio Counsel