Citation 7.1 Amplifiers

4.92/5 (26 Reviews) MSRP : $2800.00

High current, multichannel audio power amplifier, configurable for four, three or two-channel output. THX Certified.

Power Output:
4 x 150 watts @ 8 Ohms
4 x 240 watts @ 4 Ohms
2 x 150 watts + 1 x 450 watts @ 8 Ohms
2 x 450 watts @ 8 Ohms bridged

Submitted by Doug a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2016

Bottom Line:
I have used this amp a couple of times in my system over the past 20 years and it never ceases to amaze me. First let me say if you have issues with bass, it's not this amp. I use Platinum Audio Solos that have 4" aluminum bass drivers and the bass is deep, tight, fast and well controlled with the amp in bridge mode. (450 wpc) . In any system, if your front end is mid fi, then your end sound will be mid fi or worse. Even with the advances in technology, I've yet to hear an all in one box CD player under 5k that will sound better than a 2k outboard dac and mediocre CD player combo. Cheap cabling also results in less than stellar sound.
I find this amp paired with a PS Audio DirectStream Dac, Classe CP 60 pre and a Bel Canto CD 2 with Transparent music link cables to sound outstanding and on par with the Levinson 300 series amps. This amp is above average in 4 channel, but when switched to bridge mode, it's sonic charrsteristics really begin to bloom. It has some of the sweetest midrange and top end of heard in any SS amp regardless of price. Reminds me a lot of the Proceed Amp 2 which is a phenomenal amp for the money as well. At 600.00 - 800.00 on the used market, you'll be hard pressed to find anything under 4K new that will touch it, providing you are using good front end equipment and cabling. In my system, out of all the amps I have owned, ive only heard 2 amps that bettered this citation in terms of resolution and overall transparency and those 2 are the Krell KSA 80 and the ARC 200.2. My only complaints are: (1) this amp weighs over 85lbs and is not easy to move because of no handles and (2) no balanced XLR inputs.
In summary, there is nothing on the used market under 2k that will produce the sonic signature this Citation does. One of my top 3 all time favorite amps.

Submitted by pjonall a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2010

Bottom Line:
Very clear and extended frequency response, vocals sound very lifelike, and the upper end is very smooth and sweet, splashy in a good way and very accurate. No glare or listening fatigue whatsoever. Makes those CDs I have that always sounded "hard" very enjoyable to listen to now. Always thought it might have been a speaker issue or maybe cables, but the glare was from the Rotel 1080 I was using. Very nice soundstage. Basically I feel the Citation 7.1 does everything right from about 1kH and up. The bass is deep and powerful, but nowhere near as tight and evenly controlled as the bass response of the Rotel RB-1080 I intended to replace. Plus, it seems like the bass is kind of emphasized around the 100Hz mark, and the lower midrange @300-800Hz seems a little scooped, losing some of the grunt and body of electric guitars. Almost makes rock music sound thin and "polite" when combined with the very smooth upper end. I am running Paradigm Ref 100's (v2) and everything including the powercord was the same between the two comparisons. I have loved the Rotel 1080 since day one, but it has always been a little edgy and fatiguing for me particularly at very high volumes on less then perfectly recorded/mastered material. The 7.1 definitely took care of the glare problem and showed me what the paradigms were truly capable of from the upper midrange to the very top of their frequency response, and ended my idea of needing a speaker upgrade. Now I need to find an amp that combines the 1kH and below of the Rotel 1080 (which is perfectly balanced, tight, gutsy, and authoritative in that region) with the 1kh and above of the 7.1 which is very smooth and detailed. Sure I could biamp with both and might just play around with it, but would much rather have a one-box solution that can do it all.

Long story short, if you have very capable full range floor standing speakers, you may be missing out on their true bass potential by using the 7.1. (By the way, I am using the CItation in UNBRIDGED mode).
I never thought I could be the guy who could "hear" differences in amplifiers, but I think this is more a testament to the neutrality of the paradigms which will pretty much give right to you what they are given. I owned a Citation 7.0 processor for many years and was enamored with it, and always wondered about the 7.1 amplifier, and only just recently thought about doing the speaker/amp upgrade thing to see if I can get better sound. Now I am on a mission to get the best of both the 7.1 and 1080's worlds in the same amp. (I currently use a Cary Cinema 11 for a Pre/Pro).

Submitted by tk_stack_money a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
I now own two Citation 7.1 amps. I was able to pick up another one used recently for around $750. They are hard to come by on the used market and for very good reason, they sound excellent, dynamic, detailed and smooth. The bass control is outstanding. I used one of each amp now as monoblocks and the gains in my system compared to using only 1 are well worth it. I have owned many high end amps from YBA, Pass Labs, Classe, B&K, etc. and while I may have sold those, I have never been willing to part with my Citation's. As is well known, they were part of Madrigal Labs which also has the Mark Levinson and Proceed brands. They are an outstanding value of high end amps and you would be hard pressed to find anything better on the used market or new. Furthermore, with their huge heat sinks they run cool and thus are built to last as heat is probably the biggest enemy of longevity.

Submitted by Joe Snuffy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2009

Bottom Line:
This is still a GREAT amp.I did some research after the initial purchase of a Parasound 855a, which was a little dissapointing.Not a baaad amplifier, just not as good as the reciever it was meant to compliment (a Harman Kardon AVR 240 which is now pretty well obsolete). While it was a little cleaner than the reciever, I felt I lost sound stage and dynamics.I am still using the 240 as a pre/pro.I finally settled on a used 7.1 from an Audiogon listing, in good condition.I powered the front 3 speakers with the Citation, back 2 with Parsound.Lived with this set up for 6 months,bought another one off Ebay.My amps averaged out to $880.00 apiece, and for that I definitely don't feel cheated.I recently acquired a Parasound HCA 2200 MkII.A good, powerful amplifier.I still prefer the sound quality of the Citation.I did an A/B and while the Citation was running I actually forgot I was running in 2 channel.This didn't happen with the 2200.I LIKE the 2200....just not as much as the Citation,fatter bass, less resolution, flatter sound stage. Still worlds apart from 855a. I did not do any bridging or bi-amping.That is pretty much all I've had for real comparison other than walking through noisy big box stores.....and a couple of strange forays into a local Magnolia before the economic downturn closed it.Take my review.......all of them for that matter with a bag of salt.I will say that these amplifiers have presented me with the biggest sonic leap forward in my system since I bought my speakers (Ascend Acoustics CMT340se/CBM 170se's).By the standards of many on this forum, my stuff is pretty modest.These amps have performed admirably in less than ideal conditions with less than 'audiophile' equipment.If you you are reading this, you may be considering buying or bidding on one, I haven't been disappointed, and my degree of satisfaction with these things is as high as it ever gets for something I've bought.BTW I've seen this things billed as 'Madrigals' ,' Baby Levinsons' and the like.I've read that these amplifiers were designed by Stephen Mantz when HK absorbed Fosgate Audionics and renamed them Citation.Evidently they are descendants of of the FA 4125.Point is, in spite of all the creative marketing, this thing can stand on it's own 4 feet.Performance was equally as good in 2 channel, as in multi.Smooth, neutral, detailed.Excellent amp.

Submitted by ajrace a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
Wow, what can I say that hasnt already been said?? I have been using a carver m-500 for my mains which the carver is rated @250 ch. but man when I got the citation and bridged into 2 channels @ 450 my jaw dropped when mated to my B&W's. The bass tightened up quite a bit and the mids were liquid smooth, this amp is dead quite and the sound it produces doesnt seem colored whatsoever. I have friends who have krell and sunfire and I wouldnt trade them especially at the price I got this one at, now if I can just get 1 more for my rears/center and I will be complete. This amp gotten in excellent condition for under $1k is maybe the best bargain in hi-fi today. Where else can you get Levinson sound/quality for low end $$$$$?
This truly is the ferrari that you dreamed of having for the cost of a mustang.....if you can find one get it and dont even hesitate because you havent heard it, you wont be sorry, you will just be grinning from ear to ear.