Chiro C-200 Amplifiers

4.1/5 (10 Reviews)

140 wpc power amp

Submitted by dcjazzman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
this is an update. my amp's outputs were completely burned out according to the repair shop i took it to a few months ago. it had sat for several months previously, me thinking maybe it would come back to life (lol). why would i think that? because a few weeks after i bought it brand new, the left channel got "lazy" coming on: it often took 20 restarts to get it to play music. it also blew at least 5 or 6 fuses: at first, i thought it was my carelessness, but not now. i've since heard that chiro/kinergetics had "reliability issues" with the amp. i LOVED its sound, but it's dead now, and i'm out the cash. so i am not a happy camper. no recourse from the builder, because they are out of business.

Purchased At:   dealer

Submitted by dave cole a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have to give the Chiro 5 by 5 based on power, dynamics, stage depth & width, detail and sweetness. Mine replaced a Carver M 1.0t and made my Vandersteen 2ce's sing. They had always sounded good, but didn't have the bass or stage depth I wanted. The Chiro made their excellent soundstage better. But it was when I brought home Von Schweikert Silver VR4s that I really found out what it could do. I tried the Carver, and found the same minuses: excellent width, soft bass, little or no depth and very little detail. The Chiro simply ate it up. It also eats up my B&K reference 2220. I would certainly buy this amp again, and recommend it to anyone looking for an exellent piece of equipment for under $1,000.

Purchased At:   dealer

Submitted by Ken a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is an affordable, gusty amplifier for demanding audiophile consumers on a budget. Power combined with delicacy is a proper adjective for this amplifier. I have been living with this Kinergetics sibling amplifier for over two years and I really am satisfied with the sound. It has good depth and a wide soundstage for the price. While its bass is not the most extended that I have heard, it certainly is rhythmic, tight and detailed. It's top-end is airy and not fatiguing on neutral speakers. The midrange is a little forward, but that can be cured with proper speaker placement and room tuning.

I originally paired this amplifier to energy speakers but now I have it paired with Definitive Technology speakers and it can really liven up a room. It's dynamic power is quite impressive and brings the best out of my speakers. This amplifier provides a musically satisfying experience. Well done, Kinergetics.

Submitted by Biff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 1999

Bottom Line:
The Chiro is an excellent amp. I was using an Acurus A200 until some **@@%## thug broke in and stole it. I loved the sound of my A200. It was a tad harsh, but only very slightly so. I never thought there could be a better sounding amp for under $1000. I auditioned Adcom, Parasound, and Rotel before buying the A200, so I knew what's available.
When I was shopping for my replacement amp, a friend of mine recommended the Chiro amp. He emailed me an old review in Stereophile Guide to Home Theater(Spring 96). There were three amps reviewed in that issue- Acurus A200x3, Rotel 985 and the Chiro C200. The reviewer picked the Chiro as the clear winner - power combined with delicacy. After reading the review, I felt a little insulted because I refused to accept the possibility of the Chiro(an unknown name) sounding better than my A200.
However, after auditioning the Chiro, I agreed with the reviewer completely. It is better sounding and more musical with no harshness. I bought the Chiro to replace my A200 and have been very happy with it since.

Submitted by Johnny a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp for my inlaws, who were looking for a sub $1000 amp. The C200 lists for $999. I auditioned all the amps I can find at local dealers in that price range from Adcom, Acurus, Rotel, Parasound, Carver, NAD. The Chiro is what I settled for at the end of a four month search. It does not out perform all the other amps in every category, but the overall balance and musicality is better than any of the amps auditioned. For example, the Acurus(A200) is more dynamic, the Rotel(991) is more revealing, etc...
The C200 is a good to excellent performer in all of the following areas: dynamics, revealing, good low level resolution, transparency, timbral accuracy, freedom from harsh, smooth and grain free.
I personnally owned the Threshold T200 which I trully loved but costs considerably more. It is not fair to compare the Chiro to my Threshold(which I did anyway) but the difference in performance is not very big. The C200, while not in the same class as the T200, is not too far behind. I would subjectively say the C200 has 75% of the enjoyment I get from listening to my Threshold. If I have a restricted budget under $1000, I could live for a long time with the C200 before upgrading.
This is an excellent amp for the price, actually an excellent amp period.

High End: