Chiro C-200 Amplifiers

4.18/5 (11 Reviews)

140 wpc power amp

Submitted by alex a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2015

Bottom Line:
This amp absolutely sounds amazing! I am so impressed with this amp. We bought it on ebay for 200.00 we also bought the 5ch amp for 250.00. We bought these on a whim and they were definitely worth it! I have sherbourn amps and these amps were able to sound just as good if not slightly better with clearer highs and just overall a sweet tone. I could not stop listening. I sampled these for a buddy of mine just to make sure that what we bought worked! Here is the setup,
Yamaha RXA 2040 Receiver
Chiroc C-200 2 ch
Chiroc C-500 5 ch
Polk Audio RtiA9s (For front towers)
Polk Audio RtiA3s (For Surround)
Polk Audio CsiA6 (For Center)
Polk Audio RtiA3s (For Rear)

This simple setup sounds so amazing. Had I known about this company sooner I honestly would of not bought the more expensive sherbourn. I am super happy that my buddy is getting a nice setup on a budget that sounds as good as super expensive amps! The amp did not hum, overheat, actually runs very cool, and just flat out is a fantastic amp.

I sampled several kinds of genres and watched lots of movies thru this setup and it was just awesome.

Submitted by dcjazzman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
this is an update. my amp's outputs were completely burned out according to the repair shop i took it to a few months ago. it had sat for several months previously, me thinking maybe it would come back to life (lol). why would i think that? because a few weeks after i bought it brand new, the left channel got "lazy" coming on: it often took 20 restarts to get it to play music. it also blew at least 5 or 6 fuses: at first, i thought it was my carelessness, but not now. i've since heard that chiro/kinergetics had "reliability issues" with the amp. i LOVED its sound, but it's dead now, and i'm out the cash. so i am not a happy camper. no recourse from the builder, because they are out of business.

Purchased At:   dealer

Submitted by dave cole a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have to give the Chiro 5 by 5 based on power, dynamics, stage depth & width, detail and sweetness. Mine replaced a Carver M 1.0t and made my Vandersteen 2ce's sing. They had always sounded good, but didn't have the bass or stage depth I wanted. The Chiro made their excellent soundstage better. But it was when I brought home Von Schweikert Silver VR4s that I really found out what it could do. I tried the Carver, and found the same minuses: excellent width, soft bass, little or no depth and very little detail. The Chiro simply ate it up. It also eats up my B&K reference 2220. I would certainly buy this amp again, and recommend it to anyone looking for an exellent piece of equipment for under $1,000.

Purchased At:   dealer

Submitted by Ken a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is an affordable, gusty amplifier for demanding audiophile consumers on a budget. Power combined with delicacy is a proper adjective for this amplifier. I have been living with this Kinergetics sibling amplifier for over two years and I really am satisfied with the sound. It has good depth and a wide soundstage for the price. While its bass is not the most extended that I have heard, it certainly is rhythmic, tight and detailed. It's top-end is airy and not fatiguing on neutral speakers. The midrange is a little forward, but that can be cured with proper speaker placement and room tuning.

I originally paired this amplifier to energy speakers but now I have it paired with Definitive Technology speakers and it can really liven up a room. It's dynamic power is quite impressive and brings the best out of my speakers. This amplifier provides a musically satisfying experience. Well done, Kinergetics.

Submitted by Biff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 1999

Bottom Line:
The Chiro is an excellent amp. I was using an Acurus A200 until some **@@%## thug broke in and stole it. I loved the sound of my A200. It was a tad harsh, but only very slightly so. I never thought there could be a better sounding amp for under $1000. I auditioned Adcom, Parasound, and Rotel before buying the A200, so I knew what's available.
When I was shopping for my replacement amp, a friend of mine recommended the Chiro amp. He emailed me an old review in Stereophile Guide to Home Theater(Spring 96). There were three amps reviewed in that issue- Acurus A200x3, Rotel 985 and the Chiro C200. The reviewer picked the Chiro as the clear winner - power combined with delicacy. After reading the review, I felt a little insulted because I refused to accept the possibility of the Chiro(an unknown name) sounding better than my A200.
However, after auditioning the Chiro, I agreed with the reviewer completely. It is better sounding and more musical with no harshness. I bought the Chiro to replace my A200 and have been very happy with it since.

CSB 1206 BLK: