Cary Audio Design Cinema 5 Amplifiers

• 33,000uF 80V filter capacitors
  • Remote power on/off switch

Submitted by Jon Lusk a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have been into audio for close to 30yrs now. I have owned lots of great stuff. Adcom, Sherwood Newcastle, Acurus, Audio Research ,Counterpoint ,Carver, Sim Audio and Emotiva and I can honestly say I have been happier with this amp than any other that I have owned! Top to bottom the sound stage is detailed and alive with this amp. One thing I would recommend is don't get cheap on a power cord because it will totally make all the difference in this amp.. Love it!

Submitted by PlatinumSV a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2011

Bottom Line:
I just need to say that I had owned this amp when it was first released and needed to sell it due to some hardships. I purchased another last month and could not be happier. I've owned them all. Krell TAS, Theta Dreadnaught ll (225x5), Classe CA-5200, Lexicon LX-7 etc, and I honestly believe this amp hands down bests them all in every which way. Granted the Krell was a bit more dynamic, but the cary is a much better sounding amp. I'm in the HT business which is the reason for me having tried all these amps to begin with, but the Cary is a keeper. Great match with the Cinema 11a...

Submitted by rsmcphee a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2007

Bottom Line:
This amplifiers is one heck of an amp. I have owned Simaudio Titan, NADS, Rotels, Conrad Johnson, Krell, and Pass Labs so far this unit is in the league of Simaudio, Pass Labs, and Krell. The Cinema 5 images well with music and movies. The dialogue is clear and crisp and when it comes to loud soundtracks for movies and explosions the amp never seem to run out of power. I am using Martin Logans and also uses Acoustic Zen Adagios and so far with either speakers I get good results.

Now for music. This amp has good midrange, bass and overall balance. I have been using it for stereo and from time to time PRO-Logic Music and I like what I hear. The bass has body. The midranges is a sweet and the highs are non fatiguing. I paired this unit with Arcam AVP surround processor and so far so good. I do use an sub from time to time to augment the bass for movies but for music I find it sufficient.

The only complaints that I have are the binding post. The binding post seem to have a difficulties holding a heavier speaker gauge wire like say Acoustic Zen Hologram. I was able to tighten them enough but I never had the pbs with the Simaudio Titan before......but this is a very light criticism

Overall a good value even at full asking price and very well built.

Purchased At:   BRETT INTERIORS

Submitted by sherpa a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2006

Bottom Line:
The amp is great for music and movies but overall performance is limited by its dynamic capabilities and base response. If you use this in an HT set up you will need a subwoofer. Used for two channel listening ( I use my pre amps analog pass through), the amp is good. Inner detail is good but imaging could be better. The amp has tube like qualities such a great midrange but lacks bottom end authority. If used in a medium to small HT room it will be a good fit. Used in larger setups, it may be strained. Overall this is a good amp if used with the proper equipment and supported with sub.

Purchased At:   Upscale Audio

Submitted by audiocrazy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
I guess I will go first. Purchased the Cinema 5 from Carlos at Audio Connection in Verona NJ. If you want no pressure no problems this is the place to go to for
High-end Audio. They spend alot of time
with you auditioning components without any pressure to buy period. I put a $100
deposit down on the Cinema 5 and the next thing I know I received a phone call from the principal of CaryAudio Dennis Had telling me about the amp and thanking me for the purchase. I would like to see any other manufacturer do that. Yeah Right!!!! Well I had the Amp for 1 day so far and all I can tell you is that the Cary Cinema 5 is friggin awesome and has
now allowed me to listen to Music and not
sit their and clinicaly critque my system. The dimensionality, the dynamics
the tonal balance is bar none and this thing has not even been broken in past 1 day yet. I can't wait to see how the Cinema 5's presentation develops as more break-in time evolves. Do yourself a favor if you are auditioning Ultimate high-end Amps put this one on the top of your list. Better yet only put this Amp on your list and you will not regret. In a recent review the Cinema 5 was compared to the Bat VK6200 and was found to be a
little less degree but the same style. You know what, just buy 2 Cary Cinema 5's
for 8K and pocket the other 2K you would have needed to purchase the big bad VK6200. Bi-Amp the Speakers with the 2 and watch your hair stand on end with 400 watts at 8ohms and 700 at 4ohms.

Purchased At:   Audioconnection