Carver Audio AV-505 Amplifiers

4.9/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

400 watts - 5 Channels

Submitted by witchdoctor a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2016

Bottom Line:
I have been a fan of Sunfire gear for many years using the Sunfire TG 3 as my processor and a Sunfire TSEQ 10 subwoofer. I really like the SQ of the Sunfire products ans decided to try biamping my wide channels (or side axis channels as they are called in my Sunfire manual). I didn't want to drop more them $500 for a used Sunfire 5 channel amplifier and my saw a Carver AV 505 5 channel amp rated at 80 watts a channel all channels driven or 125 watts a channel in stereo on Craigslist.
I scored the amp for $130 (less than the cost of one of the power cables in my main rig) and set my expectations accordingly.
First I was surprised by the size of this thing, about 50 pounds and the size of a carry on bag with wheels you take on a plane.
I wanted to evaluate the SQ before dropping it into my main rig so I propped it up on a couple of chairs and connected it to my desktop system driving a pair of JBL 230 speakers. I was expecting the power of a sledge hammer and instead this amp was as delicate as a flower, almost tube like. Music just floated effortlessly from my speakers and when things became more dynamic no strain, no collapse just effortless rendering of the signal. These amps use something called "power steering" so it can direct power to whatever channels need it at the time instead of all channels constantly being driven at the same power. All i can say is that I think that is why this amp presents music so effortlessly, it has a giant reserve to tap whenever it needs it.
I am going to move this amp into my HT rig and now I feel I need to get a Carver 2 channel amp for my desktop (I have been spoiled).
Another nice thing about getting this amp is it has Made in USA stamped on it so no skimping on manufacturing costs.
I highy recommend this amp. If you are adding more speakers for immersive audio height channels and need more amplification check your local Crigslist or E Bay for a used carver amp and use the left over $$$ to buy some other new toys.

Submitted by bash a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2007

Bottom Line:
WOW what a tank built heavy and solid. Yhis is a very very good piece of equiptment. High end sound at a BARGAIN price. 5 seperate amplifier in one chassis. I am currently using the Marantz SR7000 soon to be sold on ebay. I am waiting on delivery of a parsound avc-2500. Klipsch really like power if you got it makes the Forte II sound large and deep.This amp really has musical detail forward presentation for music and movies. A little word of advice buy on before they are all gone this is a great starter amp for seperates.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by javier robinson bours a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
av-505 carver amp 13amp

Submitted by Ron a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
Matched to a Marantz 9000 A/V PreAmp it does a wonderful job on timbre as well as reserve HP. When I kick up a DVD of Fleetwood Mac's Dance, I tax this amp. to extreme, no harsh sound at all and it feels very musical. As a HT amp I would prefer others for cosmetics and such, but bottom line is bang for the buck.

Purchased At:   Ubid

Submitted by Cody B a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a good amp I paid just under $300 on ebay for it and after shipping on this monster I get if for $325 I am not kidding about the weight of this thing it is hard to pickup and I am a big man… The AV-505 uses large heat sinks in place of a fan, which might make noise or go bad. I currently am only using this amp in 2-channel mode but it really makes my little Bose 301 III speakers sound good even if they are crap speakers..

Purchased At:   Ebay