Carver Audio A-753X Amplifiers

4.83/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $1495.00

250w x 3 Channels

Submitted by Bruce Lamb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
I like this amplifier a lot. It has great reserves of power and can be subtle and delicate. However this international model (240-220v/50-60hz) buzzes like a nest of angry bees from its transformer! I like it so much that I will get a local transformer built to drop the voltage from 240v+ to at least 220v.However I need the ampre rating of the factory transformer to do this.CAN ANYONE HELP! This is one of the problems of a company that can create a great sounding product,well made but let-down by poor export quality control.In the light of this problem, I give it five stars for sound quaility,five stars for value and minus two for letting Bob Carver go. Please e-mail me if can help. I`m still using the 753 (under a blanket,ha ha)and enjoing its use in home-theater and two-channel with Martin-Logan Monolith III.

Submitted by bill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
i bought the rotel rb993 from a local retailer. great sounding amp, but the rave reviews and unbeatable used price of $699 for the carver haunted me until i bought the darn thing. with over $3000 retail dollars of thx amp in my living room, i came to an immediate decision- the rotel sounds good, but the carver is pure home theater magic. it's 50 watts per channel more, but that can't possibly explain the noticeable boost in imaging, s/n ratio, and effortless listening pleasure. music, dialogue, and violence sound considerably more live and open. the rotel is touted as being "warmer",and i can only say the soundstage is deeper; but there's absolutely no harshness with the carver (at least in my setup). i did try hooking both with a music fidelity x-pre in 2 channel music-only arrangement. i will give the nod to the rotel here because of soundstage, but not by much.

i've read alot of reviews about alot of home theater amps. adding the carver to my yamaha 795 (receiver power to the surrounds) with paradigm reference speakers, and sony dvps7700 dvd player- i hope you can find one too!

Submitted by Chad Boomershine a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2000

Bottom Line:
If you can find this amp anywhere, buy it. I was powering Magnepan SMGc's with the Acurus A80 and was happy but during films I could tell the amp was running out of steam (noticeable distortion). I demo'd the Acurus A200 but found it to be extremely grainy. I got a deal through www.onecall.com and decided to give the amp a try. This has got to be the best gamble I've ever taken! This amp has enormous reserves and runs dead quiet. It is also gorgeous with the glowing dials on the front and the rack handles. Using this amp with my maggies gave me at least another half-octave on the bottom and the amp controls the panels with an iron fist. Everything is extremely detailed without being excessively bright. Running the amp in a two-channel configuration gives even more power than it's rating, so I figure I've probably got about 500W/channel at 4ohms. I couldn't be happier with the amp. While I normally get a new system every two years and sell my old stuff to friends, I plan on keeping this amp forever (knock on wood). With the volume pots on the inputs, you can even run it without a preamp which is phenomenal. I am running it using DH labs speaker cable and interconnects with a Technics SHAC500D processor.

Submitted by Gary a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
I am using the 753X to drive a pair of Martin Logan SL3s. I splurged not long ago and upgraded my interconnects to high end Audioquest and oh boy what a sweet sound!

Sound better than most higher priced mono blocks I've heard my speakers demo'd on.

My only beef is that the RCA 24K jack cover came off once with a AQ Ruby cable that was too tight (which I've since upgraded to Opal).

Submitted by RJM a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 1999

Bottom Line:
This amp was exactly what I needed to complete my home theater. I have a Yamaha RX-V995, Paradigm Monitor 7's left and right, and the cc-350 center. The Yamaha did not have the power needed at 85w per channel to power my speakers. I added this 3 channel amp for the front 3 speakers and what a difference. Now it sounds more like a movie theater then someones family room!! I don't play it any louder but the clarity and channel separation is so much better. The slightest sound is present in any movie. Because there is no added amplifier noise this amp produces a very natural sound. Even my THX VCR movies almost sound as good as my DVD player now. My yamaha now only powers the 2 rears. I had to jack them up from +1 to +8 to make up for the difference. It balances out nice. If you can find one get it!!I got it delivered brand new for $740
I'm gonna give it 5 speakers