Carver Audio A-705x Amplifiers

4.91/5 (44 Reviews) MSRP : $1200.00

125 watts - 5 Channel THX

Submitted by Don a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2012

Bottom Line:
Bought this amp from Ebay for $450 had one channel out when I got it in 2003. the seller agreed to pay for repair in 3 weeks I had the amp back. Since then It has performed flawlessly, it is now 2012 and I am still enjoying it. using a Rotel RTC965 pre-processor, Infinity Interlude IL50 (main) IL10 (rear) and IL 25C (center). whether playing Music or movies the power, clarity and presence of this amp is amazing. I would still recomend this amp for anyone looking to step up their HT. paired with a used Pre-Processor for under $1000 get the performance of a $3000 reciever. Can't beat a dedicated amp for truly amazing sound and Carver still offers the best Bang for the buck out there. the AV 505( 80w per channel) will still destroy any 80w AV reciever out there.

Submitted by djxtasy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
Let me start by saying that I am so lucky to have this amp in my possession. I bought this amp in ebay in MINT condition, with all original accessories. I've been hearing all the raving reviews about this amp from this site and others, and believe you me THEY ARE ALL TRUE! I have already passed the "break in" period for this amp, and the sound is truly AMAZING!!! What's most impressive is that the unit runs cool (even at extended hours). This is due to the deep heat sinks. Rated at a conservative 125 watts per channel x 5, and 200 watts per channel x 2, this is a powerful unit. Get one if you can, that's all I have to say.

Submitted by Mark Anderson a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
I used this amp for my rear (Infinity RS-3b), Side (Infinity RS-1a) and Center (Infinity-Delta Center) speakers. It was a real workhorse and I had no complaints .........precise highs, good fill mids and good bass. I recently upgraded to the Parasound HCA-2205a and have noticed a marked improvement. Remember all these Infinity speakers ask for quite a load at 4 ohms and drop below 2 on ocasion. My highs are now poignant without being sharp (the Carver in retrospect was a bit tinny) and the bass response is way better. Beter extension and overall girth. The upgrade was well worth it but for the money paid I do not believe you can do better than the Carver for home theatre setup.

System for reference
(2) Threshold S-550e Amps
Parasound HCA 2205a
Bryston 10B Crossover
Threshold T-2 PreAmp (for Analog)
Lexicon DC-2 (for Digital)
Wadia 830 CD
Pioneer 47a DVD
Tanberg 3001a FM Tuner
Infinity RS-1b Towers, RS-3b Towers, RS-1a, Delta Center Speakers

Purchased At:   EBay

Submitted by Derek a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this used off of ebay in near mint condition and believe I got a steal. Into 4 ohms, it puts out 200x5 with THX certification. What else could you want? I'm currently only using 3 of the 5 channels. I'm pushing a pair of Klipsch RF-3's and a 16-46cs SVS passive subwoofer. The addition of the amp brought improved, cleaner bass all around. The extra power also helped speed up the break in period for the speakers. Monster cable interlink 100's connect all speakers to my reciever and work wonderfully. This unit is very sleek with clean lines. It doesn't beg for attention. One of the biggest pluses w/this unit is that it runs very, very cool thanks to wonderful ventilation. Rarely does it warm up. My onkyo reciever heats up alot more than this. If you can find one, grab it. I would buy carver again even though it would be used.

Submitted by Jim Salter a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
It's a typical Carver amp, only with 5 channels instead of 2!

The very fast attack rate on the output stage produces an intricate, sexy detailed sound on instruments with complex waveforms. The heavy-duty power supply and monstrous power capacitors drive the heaviest bass you can throw at it. The amp is neither overly bright nor muddy - like my TFM-45, it's COMPLETELY neutral - it neither adds nor takes away, it merely amplifies.

With the gain adjusters turned all the way up (the setting required by the THX standard), and a noise floor (muted preamp output) signal input, this amp produces absolutely no hum. As for hiss, you - quite literally - have to press your ear against the speaker grille directly over the tweeter to hear a very, very faint hiss.

Finally, for those of you used to the mid-fi world, don't let the "125w/channel" power rating confuse you - mid-fi receivers claiming "125w/channel" tend to be wimpy and anemic, but an audiophile amp like this one that's rated at 125w/channel will make your ears bleed. This is what I expected from my experience with the Carver TFM-45 - the TFM-45 had power meters, and I discovered that even when the cannon in the 1812 overture sounded off loud enough to make the CD player skip, I was still peaking at WELL under 50 watts per channel. The AV-705 is clearly made of the same stuff - optesting with everything from classical to reggae has made it very clear that even in a large living room (mine is 600 square feet), your ears are going to beg for mercy LONG before the amp does.

If you're in the market for a 5-channel amp, BUY. THIS. AMP. You won't regret it.

Purchased At:   E-bay