Carver Audio AV-806X
Description: 133w x6 or 360w x3 - THX

Submitted by Eddie Stocks a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2015

Bottom Line:
I purchased this amp from a gentlemen who said he received it as barter in the form of partial pay while employed with Carver audio while these were in production, said he was an electrical engineer of sorts and I have no reason to nose down the details after meeting him at his home out on Lk Washington for a brief audition. The unit was mint and he explained lack of need for a 6 channel amp and said it was hardly used and leaning toward never. My interest was in a 6 channel amp to do a tri-amp configuration with [ active crossover] and some efficient drivers. I'll say this amp is leaning on vintage for the year so consider age in the get around with regard to minor servicing and such.. This is absolutely no-nonsense robust on the inside. I like active metering even if it's real basic - and this giant stealthy black box could use some.. but there are many power combinations and so understandable that it is without. I have about 50 hours of mild/ moderate level music play on it now and ..It is a seriously [flawless?] lovely sounding amp. I would say It leaves the evidence of a big solid state machine but I expected that with the Pioneer C-90 preamp mated to it. It acts very non- fatiguing with every music pass having it's own color and signature. Power-wise it seems to have a mind of it's own..Don't know what Bob sprinkled on the individual channel circuitry but there are girls on the street corner gossiping about Marantz.. Look around on your own, very good stuff. So I treat my gear good - none the less this amp plays as loud as it wants to. This is a THX rated product and acts very much the part. I noticed crazy good black background on every type of music. This is a fast amp .. after some personal time I can't refer to what this older machine could not accomplish for a dialed in audio system. this bad boy is also fully bridgable to create some very high power options. One of Carver's monoliths
Maverick D2
B&C
Carver 806

Submitted by eric schrott a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is the best amp i have ever heard! It has more than enough power to drive my 6 cerwin vega 15" 3-ways with ease. I have yet to hear the amp clip even slightly at incredibly high volumes. The sound quality is truly amazing. The highs are warm and clear and the bass is well defined and not at all distorted.

Submitted by Buddy Thompson a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have owned this amp for almost a year now and I still can't get over what a beautiful sound this amp puts out. If you like a warm, lush sound then this amp is for you. If you like bright sounding amps....look elsewhere.

Specs:

THX certified
6 channels @ 135 watts each into 8 ohms
Uses "power steering" technology
2 channels are bridged creates 365 watts per channel into 8 ohms
can be used as a 3,4,5 or 6 channel amp

I simply can't say enough about how nice this amp is. They are rather hard to find so if you can find a used one for around $1200 or less......I'd jump all over it!! It is worth every penny. Especially now with the multi channel outputs....6 channels can come in VERY handy.

I have no reservation about giving this product 5 starts for both value and overall performance.

Purchased At:   High End Electronics Store (B&M)

Submitted by Mark a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
Here's a review on this amp: www.sonic.net/soundscape/cv29_806.html
Bought mine for $660 refurbished and it works great.
This and 5 NHT SuperOnes and you got a great system.
Check out www.onecall.com for good prices, refer me!

Submitted by Michael Franzese a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
Carver AV-806x amp is absolutely spectacular. It sounds smooth and not harsh like other amps that I audition. If you can still find one new or use, I recommend you buy it. I feel I was lucky enough to find this one brand new and at a great price.