Cambridge Audio P500 Amplifiers

4.79/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $350.00

65W x 2 into 8 ohms

Submitted by MercuryS a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2009

Bottom Line:
Great! For me it was a first step upgrade for my Sony 6x100w surround receiver. I had the problem with my Sony that it lost its breath when it was pushed hard in action scenes. I then added the P500 for the front speakers and it gave my home cinema system a great lift in quality. the sound is now not so harsh and thin as it used to be and now I don't experience the sudden loss of power.

Submitted by Håkon H.T. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2007

Bottom Line:
This amplifier really surprised me! I payd 1700 NOK for it at hifiklubben.no, which is a bargain for this amplifier. It is a really good amplifier. It is strong, doesn't color the sound and is extremely user-friendly. It even supports bi-amping, not bad for an amplifier at that price! I use it with my Cerwin Vega VE-8 speakers, and it really brings them to life! Good and tight bass, and clean, crispy treble.

I recommend this amplifier for those who want a good amplifier at a cheap price.

Purchased At:   Oktober 2006

Submitted by Marcel Severein a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2005

Bottom Line:
Ok. Here I am again. The set is worked in and I have bought another P500. Now I'm BI-Amping the whole setup. I can tell you this: This is awesome. I have Tannoy's DC 2000 from 13 years of age, but the sound is so crispy and clear, that I won't leave my house any more. Bi-amping of this setup is what it's ment to be. The bass and high are totaly seperated and you can hear this. I was happy with one amp but you can feel the power even at low listning level. I live in a flat, and I can't turn it full open. The concreet is shaking. But what I love the most is the honest sound that it's producing. My neighbour has tannoy's P30 with a Technics Sa-AX7 amp, sound nice but the bass comes in to late. I don't know if it's the amp or speakers. Maybe testing it one day with the Cambridge setup.

Purchased At:   Vogelaar Audio Harli

Submitted by Marcel Severein a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have a Cambridge C500 preamplifier, that I have hooked up on a Alesis RA500 Power amp. I was happy with the sound. The RA500 gave me nice powerfull sound with my Lovely tannoy DC2000. But I wanted to know what sounds better. A amp with 2x175 watts or a amp that's made voor de C500. With only 55watt RMS. This is what I can tell you. Don't look at the watts, I knew this but I never thought that this little amp does it better in my living room than the Alesis amp. What a awesome sound, nice crispy clear details. Strong and tight response and the stereo image is getting better all the time. I have to get it worked in, but the sound is much better. I think I keep it...

I used the Alesis before, because I'm expanding my set up. This is a amp for hard and loud rooms. I'm a DJ and I make a difference in working sound an listening sound. I now have seperated these to facts. If you're searching for a nice quality/price product. This is the one. I never thought that this little amp could push my tannoy's.

Purchased At:   Vogelaar Audio Harli

Submitted by Christian Schroff a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a cheap power amp, because I wanted three of them for my active Linn Kaber speakers.

My dealer has very expensive pieces in his store, but he was likely to sell me a good solution. So he showed me the P500. I heard it first with the C500 (control amp, suiting to the P500). To show me the quality of the P500, he changed the control amp and the CD-player with the very expensive ones (Audio Refinement Pre 5, Rega 2000 etc.), but also with cheaper ones (i.e. NAD). The P500 revealed all the differences: With better electronic, the soundstage became perfect, the tonality was as fine as if there were tube amplifiers. The P500 was always an excellent sparing partner to every electronic, otherwise - I think - I wouldn't have realized, how extreme the differences between the good and cheap pre amps were.

My dealer said, he sells the P500 also with "big" speakers like KEF Maidstone. The custumers are pleased with that solution (i.e. Tri-Amping).

I bought three P500 with the C500, then I changed the C500 with Linn Wakonda. But as the Wakonda (with slimline power supply) soundet like C500, I changed to Linn Kairn (with slimline power supply). Now I am really happy, very happy, no let's say, I am maniac for that smooth sound and that soundstage.

My Linn Kabers play the music as if they were a wall full of spekers. The musicians seem to play in the room, but behind the speakers (where there is no room anymore ;-)). Everything sounds neutral. There is no harshness at all, nothing that I miss.

But what I have to say: I can hear a slight humming, when everybody in the house is sleeping (except me). The humming comes, when the pre amp (or the activ crossover) is pluged and my ears are near the speaker. My dealer didn't realize the hummung before I came with that problem. It doesn't really bother me.

Purchased At:   H+Mmusic Meyer Switz

Please help me troubleshoot hum in Cam. Aud P500

Got a "new used" Cambridge Audio P500 Power amp and it is exhibiting marked hum. Sounds like a quieter version of the hum a PA system gives off. Volume has no effect on it. The device is pretty simple: Left Right Input Output and speaker terminals. I think I ruled out screwing up the Input / ... Read More »

Sennheiser: