Cambridge Audio P500 Amplifiers

4.67/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $350.00

65W x 2 into 8 ohms

Submitted by Alan Nonymous a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2015

Bottom Line:
This review is for the matching C500 and P500 pre-power combo.
I feel compelled to write this review as a word of caution for those considering this combo. I bought these before Xmas for £105 delivered from a popular auction site after reading many positive comments on various sites including this one.

Hooked upto my Tannoy MX2's using a modded Marantz CD75 as source the treble was sweet not at all fatiguing imaging soundstage and instrumental separation were all more than satisfactory at this price point.

BUT - the P500 just doesn't do bass (and believe me the Tannoys are not normally shy here) turned up to almost 11 on the dial I'd sometimes have to check the woofers by touching them to see if they're still working ! I tried all sorts of positioning to "fix" this problem including putting them in the alcoves in the corner of my room - HUGE bass - swamped everything else.

But hey, it ain't "All about da bass", it's also about energy, drive, rhythm and impact, all areas in which the P500 seems to have taken a large dose of valium and settled into its pipe and slippers of an evening I'm afraid.

I'm probably doing this set up and myself an injustice as any prospective buyers for my set (when I invariably sell it on) may indeed read this and be off put by it. So in the interests of fairness and my wallet I will say it's a well made amp built to its price point and is a very relaxing listen for those who favour the acoustic, jazz, light classical and easy listening genres. For anyone under a pensionable age who prefers music produced after the last war however I would suggest you look elsewhere.

Submitted by MercuryS a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2009

Bottom Line:
Great! For me it was a first step upgrade for my Sony 6x100w surround receiver. I had the problem with my Sony that it lost its breath when it was pushed hard in action scenes. I then added the P500 for the front speakers and it gave my home cinema system a great lift in quality. the sound is now not so harsh and thin as it used to be and now I don't experience the sudden loss of power.

Submitted by Håkon H.T. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2007

Bottom Line:
This amplifier really surprised me! I payd 1700 NOK for it at hifiklubben.no, which is a bargain for this amplifier. It is a really good amplifier. It is strong, doesn't color the sound and is extremely user-friendly. It even supports bi-amping, not bad for an amplifier at that price! I use it with my Cerwin Vega VE-8 speakers, and it really brings them to life! Good and tight bass, and clean, crispy treble.

I recommend this amplifier for those who want a good amplifier at a cheap price.

Purchased At:   Oktober 2006

Submitted by Marcel Severein a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2005

Bottom Line:
Ok. Here I am again. The set is worked in and I have bought another P500. Now I'm BI-Amping the whole setup. I can tell you this: This is awesome. I have Tannoy's DC 2000 from 13 years of age, but the sound is so crispy and clear, that I won't leave my house any more. Bi-amping of this setup is what it's ment to be. The bass and high are totaly seperated and you can hear this. I was happy with one amp but you can feel the power even at low listning level. I live in a flat, and I can't turn it full open. The concreet is shaking. But what I love the most is the honest sound that it's producing. My neighbour has tannoy's P30 with a Technics Sa-AX7 amp, sound nice but the bass comes in to late. I don't know if it's the amp or speakers. Maybe testing it one day with the Cambridge setup.

Purchased At:   Vogelaar Audio Harli

Submitted by Marcel Severein a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have a Cambridge C500 preamplifier, that I have hooked up on a Alesis RA500 Power amp. I was happy with the sound. The RA500 gave me nice powerfull sound with my Lovely tannoy DC2000. But I wanted to know what sounds better. A amp with 2x175 watts or a amp that's made voor de C500. With only 55watt RMS. This is what I can tell you. Don't look at the watts, I knew this but I never thought that this little amp does it better in my living room than the Alesis amp. What a awesome sound, nice crispy clear details. Strong and tight response and the stereo image is getting better all the time. I have to get it worked in, but the sound is much better. I think I keep it...

I used the Alesis before, because I'm expanding my set up. This is a amp for hard and loud rooms. I'm a DJ and I make a difference in working sound an listening sound. I now have seperated these to facts. If you're searching for a nice quality/price product. This is the one. I never thought that this little amp could push my tannoy's.

Purchased At:   Vogelaar Audio Harli

Please help me troubleshoot hum in Cam. Aud P500

Got a "new used" Cambridge Audio P500 Power amp and it is exhibiting marked hum. Sounds like a quieter version of the hum a PA system gives off. Volume has no effect on it. The device is pretty simple: Left Right Input Output and speaker terminals. I think I ruled out screwing up the Input / ... Read More »

CSB 1206 BLK: