Bryston 6B SST Amplifiers

• Membrane Power Switch
  • Soft start circuit on power up
  • Multiple filter capacitance per channel
  • Selectable inputs for balanced
  • Selectable gain settings
  • Optional 17" Faceplate

Submitted by MarkS a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2007

Bottom Line:
Please note this a review of the 6B ST, not the SST. The units are essentially identical except for a slight difference in their poer supplies. Also the 6B ST is (conservatively) rated at 250w X 3 channels versus the 6B SST which specs out at 300w X 3. The test sheet on my 6B ST shows the units pushing slightly over 300 watts in each channel, at least 20% more than it's published specs, standard for Bryston products.
I purchased this beast (85 lbs) to replace my 18 year old 4B and 3B (the 3B was bridged for my center channel) after I purchsed a pair of 7B SST's which literally blew my mind in their sonic performance and power.
Although I can go on and on about how far Bryston has come in 18 years with their producs, I didn't have any complaints about my older Brystons, I was just in the mood to upgrade after getting the 7's.
Well, the differences are astounding. I thought I had great performance with my older amps, but the 6B ST simply takes everything to a new level...bass performance is tighter and more controlled but still strong, mids incl. vocals are present and not "in your face" like the older amps and the highs are silky smooth.
I have played this amp through half a dozen speakers, old and new (JBL L series, ESS AMT, Infinity, B&W, Celestion) and they all sound better/smoother than they ever did before, no question.

Purchased At:   Canuck Audio Mart ($