Bryston 2B-LP Amplifiers

4.82/5 (22 Reviews) MSRP : $850.00

50 watts per channel

Submitted by ren9328 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2009

Bottom Line:
I had to post a new review on my latest acquisition, a Bryston 2B. This is an original model, really "old school", and built very well. This model looks identical inside to the 2B-LP except for the lack of toroidal transformers, this one uses laminated power transformers (same 725VA rating). This unit also has some history, it has a Radio Canada CBC tag riveted to the front faceplate. I picked this up on e-bay for $200.00 and would have to say it is one of the best buys that I have ever made.

I have owned many of the mid-fi level products by Carver, Parasound and NAD. My previous favorite was a Carver TFM-75 with a Carver C-11 preamp. Not anymore. This little amplifier is absolutely fantastic. When you read other reviews that say that this amp sounds expensive-believe it! My current configuration is an NAD 1000 preamp, an NAD cd-player, Audioquest cables and Dynaudio Contour 1.3 monitors.

The Dynaudio Contour 1.3 speakers are not the easiest load to drive but the 2B does more than an admirable job, the midrange, and treble are smooth and extremely well defined. The bass which is a strong point of the Contour 1.3 is no less than phenomenal. The soundstage width and depth is nearly unbelivable.

The only way to get more out of my Dynaudios would be to spend a very substantial amount above $2000.00 on another amplifier and I am not sure that it would increase my enjoyment of the music. As it is I smile every time I turn this system on and really hear the music.

If you are on the fence about buying any model of the Bryston 2B you need not worry it acclaims itself very well with what was arguably one of the best $2000.00 monitors available and it will fit into any decent system and probably improve it substantially in the process.

Submitted by dowotyalike a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2006

Bottom Line:
The 2B LP is an incredibly lucid and clear amplifier. The Bryston amp is diminutive in size, and sounds LARGE. The unit I have is older than the graduating class of 2007, and in the 30 years of this hobby, it has no equal. Bryston still manufactures a pro version of this amp today and its design has remained unchanged, if it isn’t broke - don't fix it. The amp is very good at simply reproducing a musical signal and adds nothing. No colorization, no warmth, just the music as it was recorded, and it gets outta the way of the music and simply recreates perfectly.

The 2B LP is the perfect home theatre amplifier when using a sub and crossover, at 60 watts per channel in stereo, you can do-up your Home Theatre with these little giant killers and a 20 year warranty that is unmatched.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Bonger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2006

Bottom Line:
Bought this off Ebay to power the front channels of my HT Receiver for audiophile quality sound.

Surprisingly my new Marantz HT receiver stereo quality was 85-90% of the Bryston so I sold it back on Ebay a few months later for $100 more than I bought it for.

I have to say I expected more from the sound of this amplifier especially after the glowing reviews and being so impressed hearing this bi-amp at my buddies place with the same speakers that I have.

If you upgraded from your low/mid-fi amp/receiver to the Bryston, you will think the 2b is a revelation. There is excellent control & balance of frequencies across entire audio spectrum. What I mean is some tube based systems tend to have weaker bass and some brute force solid state amps lack the refined highs and mids. The Bryston is competent in all areas. Amp is transparent, accurate, rhythmic, neutral sounding with very good sound staging and imaging. Power is really conservatively rated and will drive the typical bookshelf & smaller tower speakers without breaking a sweat. Sounds just as good with rock as with classical music, competent for both hifi and HT use. Very flexible with its applications and configurations.

Now here’s the “but” part. The Bryston sound is top rated in the solid state amp world, however, it was still not as enjoyable as my similarly priced entry-level tube integrated. Without getting into the solid state vs. tube debate, hands down my tube amp was sweeter, more fluid sounded and tonally richer. Perhaps and most possibly the 2b would have sounded better with a better preamp but most likely still not match character of a good tube based system. The Bryston won my mind, but tubes stole my heart and I’m following my heart.

In summary, the middle-aged Bryston is still a very good amp after all these years, but the competitors are slowly catching up. I guess that’s why there is the Bryston 2b sst now.

Bang for your buck, it’s not cheap, for a 15 year old unit, I bought it for almost the same price as my HT receiver, but it really holds it value well and considering I sold it for more than I paid for it, I grudgingly give it a 5 stars for value.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Belgarchi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought it for a low price because it was in a bad shape and old (1990), but Bryston repaired it free of charge !
It is well built: modular, dual mono with 2 toroidal transformers, but a power supply of only 18,800 microFarads.
Subjectively more powewrful than other 60W, though.
As for the sound, I am amazed. Excellent soundstage (wide, stable, even my wife could hear the difference with a Creek A52SE !), tight bass, very clear sound.
It is slightly inferior to the 2x120 W Conrad-Johnson SA250, but this is expected.
Very small, it can be a plus if you lack space. But it runs hot.

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Submitted by drlazybones a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
I finished soldering my RCA to XLR interconnects last night, and finally hooked up the Bryston, using my Denon 3803 as a preamp. I was immediately impressed with the incredible bass and midbass control this amp exhibits. It makes my speakers sing like they really never have before. Another noticable improvment over the 3803 is the stereo imaging, creating a sense of presence beyond what I've experienced before. I'm most impressed by the fact that, at "just" 50 watts per channel, this 20 year old amplifier produces just a few decibels less sound than the Denon 3803, which is rated at 110 watts per channel! It seems to me that the massive power reserves available to the Bryston give it control and poise well beyond its rated power. I've also noticed that the transient sounds sparkle and sustain in a very captivating way, with long and deep decay followed by sudden and impressive attacks of bass. A very impressive combintion. I must comment that, using the analog connection from my Denon, the high frequencies sound somewhat rolled-off when compared to the previous configuration (using the Denon directly as a power amplifier and preamp). I suspect that, with an improved preamp, or with better (non home-brewed) analog interconnects, this problem will be addressed. I won't be upgrading this amp soon, though I might add another just like it to bi-amp my speakers...

Purchased At:   Audiogon