Belles 150A Amplifiers

4.73/5 (22 Reviews)

(See reviews)

Submitted by Audiofan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have read that Belles amps this one being a 150A Hot Rod mates well with Audible Illusions preamps. Well....it does! It's a very musical combination. This amp likes a tube preamp and with the Audible Illusions it's wonderfull. I have several tube amps and wanted to hear a solid state amp in my system. I didn't want to spend a small fortune and found this one used in perfect condition it's a later 150A Hot Rod cira 2007. Speakers are Vandersteens the new Model 2's. I still pefer the tube amp sound. But for the price I paid for this Hot Rod it was hard to say no. I listen to this amp and could easily be happy with it with in my current system. But, it does make me wonder how the 150A Reference would sound?
Vandersteen 2ce Sig2's
Audible Illusions 2B
Sota Shapphire Table
Denon 1650AR cd player

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by xfactor72 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the Model 150A reference. this unit was recently awarded a Double Reviwer's Choice by Soundstage.com..

This amp was recommended to me for use with my Merlin VSM-MX speakers... I then looked up the Soundstage review. Now, let me state that I don't usually believe reviews... and when I do use them, it is just for reference to get a list of amps to consider.

The reviewer was so enthusiastic that I ordered the amp unheard ( after speaking with a few owners and the designer).

I am someone who has owned insanely expensive audio gear and at one point felt I owned the finest system I had ever heard/the finest system in the world. Of course that is most likely UNTRUE, but I am just stating this is how I felt.

After downsizing, I realized I was spoiled and could not live with a middle of the road system. So, I bought/sold/bought/sold until I could find something that would give me the sound I was used to, but at a much smaller dollar figure.

I can soundly say I am extremely pleased/shocked at the level of performance of the 150A Refernce... and all of this for less than $3K.

Transparency is important to me... I also can't live with thin sounding gear that makes instruments sound nasal.... texture is another 'must have'... I don't want to make this too boring, so I won't go too much further. describing the amp. If you need to read a professional review... go to Soundstage,com and look it up.

If you are considering a new amp.... and looking anywhere near 10K or less... save your money... buy this amp!

If you are looking in the $20K region buy 2 and use them as monoblocks... and keep the change... or use it to buy a nice preamp - with xlr output ( you need this to use the 150A ref as monoblocks) and a top notch cd player.

Another nicety is this amp is only 40 pounds... so, you won't break your back moving it around.

The build quality is good enough... looks/feels solid... the sound quality is off the charts...

Purchased At:   Authorized Dealer

Submitted by drb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased the 150A Hot Rod based on Reviews and was very happy with the unit. Quiet with a great sound stage. Easily drove my 8ohm speakers. But after listening to a friend's Threshold T200 I heard what my speakers were really capable of on the bottom end. So I upgraded to the Belles 350A and not regretting it one bit.

Purchased At:   AudioWaves

Submitted by Jim Trezza a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
I was looking for clean transparent power for my Alon MkIIs. I have a Musical Designs SP-1 tube preamp, and a friend suggested I audition the Belles 150A. I bought it, an have not been disapointed. It is clean, transparent, quiet, with a fantastic soundstage. With Alcarian Black Ophus bi-wires, and the SP-1, I now have a great sounding system for under $7K that always gets a gasp out of my non-audiophile friends when they first hear it. I prefer acoustic jazz, but this setup sounds great with everything from Chesky's Ultimate Demo to Reel Big Fish.

In addition, I have some vintage Fulton FMI-80s, and wired those into the system, and compared the Belles 150A to my Adcom 5300, and my NEC 2600. No comparison - with the Belles, I haven't heard the Fultons sound so good since I first heard them in college run by Audio Research equipment. In my opinion, the Belles 150A is an outstanding piece of equipment, and at the price, it is THE power amp bargain of the decade.

Purchased At:   private party

Submitted by Frank a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the Belles 150A hot rod and the saga of my quest for high end sound. It all started two years ago when I bought some Triangle Cellius speakers. I hooked them to my dennon 3802 and after break-in I began to see what they could do but I also noticed some problems specifically hard bitting treble. I began to upgrade first, I got some Musical fidelity M250 mono blocks. no help. I decided to build a seperate two channel system.I added a AH Njoe Tjoeb 4000 with upsampling. When I ran the three together it was worse,no bass, harsh bitting treble and hard to control the volume with the CD player. I then added a sunfire classic tube pre {great}This helped, better bass and big sound stage less harshness. I then decide to replace the monos with a Belles 150A. Major inprovment. This amp is smooth,it has a huge soundstage, and rock solid center image. The Belles has half the power but on direct comparsion is the better amp. the M250 was loose, flabby, and harsh.The M250 is well built and powerful but a bad match with bright speakers. Lucky for me Alan at Audiowaves gave me a fair trade in for the M250. this great system was further inproved by adding AH ls noise killers to the tweeter terminals. the best 50$I spent. The harshness is gone.finalaly I spent 11$ on some eggshell mattress foam placed behind and beside the speakers. This makes a big diferance with the soundstage. I am now happy but enough about me.The Belles 150A is a great amp! Powerful, precise instrument placement, and huge soundstage.Yes it takes foever to break-in,but it is worth it.This amp is an overachiever. So smooth.I highly recomend it.

Purchased At:   Audiowaves