Bel Canto Design EOne S300 Amplifiers

• 300 watts
  • ICEPower analog switching amplifier technology
  • Wide dynamic range
  • 50-60Hz line-related residual

Submitted by tdavism3 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have used many different amps ranging from Mark Levinson's 432 to Rotel's 1077. While I will not say that this amp beats them all, it certainly is competitive with amps costing much more. This amp is very neutral and incredibly detailed. Also, it is a great match for b&w speakers (which lean towards the bright side of the equation). The 150 watts/channel seems very conservative. Factor in the cool form factor and this is a great little package at any price. The fact that it is priced at less than $1,500 only adds to the giddiness.

Submitted by mlsstl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2006

Bottom Line:
I've been using the S300 for about six months and consider it an outstanding buy. I'd been a devoted tube fan for many years, never having heard a solid state amp in a price range I could afford that I liked better. However, the glowing reviews of the digital amps caught my eye and I had to try one for myself. The Bel Canto S300 was in my price range so I gave it a spin.

The long and short of it is this is an outstanding buy and it didn't take me long to become a convert and sell my tube amp (CJ MV60).

The best word to describe the overall sound is "liquid." Very smooth, with a beautiful midrange, extended, well controlled bass and smooth, airy highs with no trace of brittleness. The power and dynamic range are extremely impressive.

However, the one item that "sealed the deal" for me was the resolution during quiet passages and lower volume settings. This lifted a veil and revealed inner details in many pieces that I didn't know were even there.

In short, highly recommended to anyone looking for a powerful, musical amp in this price range.

Purchased At:   Bel Canto