Behringer EP2500 Amplifiers

• Selectable low-frequency filters
  • Designed to complement EuroLive speakers

Submitted by paulspencer a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have used this amp for around 6 years in my home audio system. I purchased it to drive a pair of subwoofers. Before buying this amp I tried a few other pro amps which cost about the same second hand. They had less power (450w into 4 ohms) and I was able to get them to clip at the levels I listen to in a short listening session. By contrast I have only seen this amp clip twice ever. The extra power is noticeable.

I have since upgraded my subs and now use this amp to drive my mains. Don't let people put you off with comments like "it's a low fi or mid fi amp at best." I have found this amp to be very musical and have not noticed any ill effects. It is good enough that it will not let you down. If you don't like the sound of your system, it will not be due to this amp. The fault will be with your speakers.

It does have two undesirable traits.

Firstly, the fan is quite loud - probably louder than your PC. You can swap it with a quieter fan (google it and you will find instructions).

Secondly, it lacks relays. Hifi amps normally have a relay to keep any turn on/off thumps. If you have anything upstream that causes thumps, you may have problems. It's not a problem when powering up, but if you turn it off, then turn it back on within about 1 minute, you will know about it! Some pro amps have relays but you need to spend quite a bit more ie double the price.

Submitted by mjbuoni a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2009

Bottom Line:
I originally purchased a pair of these amps to use for a DIY subwoofer project. That project never happened. But I used one of these amps to power a pair of Elemental Designs subs in a custom built enclosure for HT. I was previously using a Carver TFM-35. The sound tightened up considerably with the Behringer amp. The amp was very dynamic and never ran more than slightly warm during the most demanding movie scenes. So, for subs I would say this amp is exceptional. Next, I used the pair of amps bridged mono to power AV123 LS6 speakers. The amp performed better than I expected. For a pro solid state amp, it has a surprisingly pleasing tonal balance. The bass was tight and authoritative, mids were full and even slightly warm, highs were smooth, but not as detailed as most "audiophile" amps. I later upgraded to an Odyssey Stratos Extreme and the difference was quite noticeable - the highs were more detailed, and overall a more refined sound. But for the non-audiophile that is mostly into HT, I doubt there's a better amp for the price.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Matt a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2009

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by superdude a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2007

Bottom Line:
I purchased this power amp for my cousin. He is an aspiring DJ. I also supplied him was a pair of 12in. DJ speakers. Initially we were using an old cerwin vega amp to power the speakers. The amp was very old and beat up, I had purchased it at Buster's which is a pon shop. Our initial setup was pretty good the system played fairly loud but even to the untrained ear you could tell there was a lot of distortion going on. The music also came across as very fatiguing. when we hooked up the new amp the first thing I noticed was the texture of everything that was played. It was like eating a piece of cake. You could comprehend the texture of the music as something in your mouth. The singing and Voices sounded much more consistent and compelling. We played the amp for three to four hours straight in attempt to break it in. We were running it in a volume level that made casual conversation impossible and during this time the temperature of the exit air from the front grills never became even slightly warm. The amp has yet to blow me away with sonic excellence. Throughout the whole time I never really felt like dancing, or crying, or being moved etc.

Purchased At:   busters

Diary of a Madman: Just ordered two more Behringer EP2500 Amps

That was then: The heart of my setup is my Pioneer VSX-1016TXV receiver. It offers 7.1 channel surround via 7.1 inputs and 7.1 pre-outs. I don't use any of the internal amps. I applied some entry level DJ amps to provide the power. Mains:4 Sony SSMB-350H bookshelf speakers driven by a single G ... Read More »

Atlantic Technology: