Behringer A500 Amplifiers

• 2 x 230 Watts into 4 Ohms
  • High-current toroidal transformer

Submitted by Cheeky a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2016

Bottom Line:
I think everybody needs to take a look at this blind AB test where the A500 was compared against a 12000$ audiophile system:

Submitted by TVC line preamps a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2014

Bottom Line:
Well, let me firstly say that it's a shame that a supposedly German-design brand (Chinese-made, from Germany, just like the great sounding in this case hifi manufacturer "winning" solid state power amps but real honest ) makes a scum like this. This power amp "professional studio" produces a lot of noise EVEN NEW just buyed. It is the most harsh sounding amp you ever will hear. Mine was refunded by a famous pro audio german online store only used ONE HOUR: it was insupportable. I really this is is not true is a class AB amp. There is 2 options. Could be a really harsh and cheap class D switching ampifier or even worse: a "pure class B amp" with a toroidal transformer.
Save your money for a "winner" sounding solid state hifi power amp that really makes a true class AB warm sound.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by jaco_benhur a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2013

Bottom Line:
I bought two of these after the dissapointing results(lack of bass, flimsy power button) I obtained with my Alesis RA500 I did not expected much but after connecting and let the system cooked for a while the results were as described in the Audiocritic review this little amp is pretty good and delivers a beautiful crystal clean sound there is a buzz in the rca connections but swapping to balance using a rca-trs connector the amp is noiseless.

Submitted by bikdav a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought my Behringer A500 used at a local music store. My existing home subwoofer amp was acting up, so I needed something quick. Since the receiver handles the basic crossover functions, this amp is very simple to set up and use. I don't have to "work around" a complicated subwoofer amp crossover. This amplifier is doing what i need it to do and it sounds fine performing subwoofer duty. What more can I ask for?

Submitted by Meow Tomcat a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2010

Bottom Line:
I had the Behringer A-500 on loan to try out on my 2 channel stereo system. I've been an enthusiast for over 30 years and have listened to everything from the Dynaco tube equipment to current Linn and Bryston equipment. I'm not an audiophile because I don't change equipment every year. What I have is an antique Quad 306 power amplifier and matching Quad 44 preamp (unmodified with Quad cd card). I almost started to believe the Audio Critic rave review of the Behringer A-500 until I substituted it in my system. I listen mainly to classical music and it was immediately apparent that the Behringer does not have a grip on the music. The drama, excitement and refinement of a top notch orchestra is lost. The bass is generous but ill-defined. The violins are diffuse.

My antique Rotel RX402 receiver (jaw dropping performance for a 1970's receiver) putting out 24 watts/channel is a David slaying Goliath (Behringer).

If it's too good to be true, it probably is. The Behringer A-500 measures like a heavyweight at a ridiculously low price. If you are serious about music rather than equipment and technology, stay away from the Behringer.