Beard P-100-S Amplifiers

100 watts

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2013

Bottom Line:
I use this poweramp since 2004. After replacing some condensors in the powersupply and signal path, rewiring it with high quality solid-core wire it became the best KT88 push-pull amp I ever had in my system. And I had many, McIntosh, Conrad Johnson, Audio-Research, Luxmann and BAL. Unmodified the P100 sounds lush, warm, euphonic and powerfull and has amazing imaging, but details seem to be not so subtle. After the mods the amp turned out to be spectacular. Non of the forementioned qualities got lost, but the added fine detail presentation was just breathtaking. Suddenly there was air between the instruments. As far as I know the output transformers were made by Partridge, UK. It seems to could be the secret of this amp. This amp can drive very hard loads and most difficult speakers. But I also had it connected to sensitive speakers which normally run best with single ended tubeamps, but this Beard was an exception, allthough just running in the milliwatt range, it soundes just fantastic on Vitavox hornspeakers as well as Westrex.

Submitted by ronenash a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have this amplifier since the mid 90's. I have had many different amplifiers along the years amongst them some the best amplifiers out there from Conrad Johnson, Bel Canto, Lyngdorf and Sonic Frontiers to name a few. Somehow I am always happy returning to the Beard P100. I have used the Beard regularly as my main amplifier until 2006 replacing tube every 3 years or so. The beard may not be the most detailed amplifier out there but presents music in a very lush and seductive way. The soundstage is very wide and deep and this amplifier can drive most speakers. I have used it with Martin Logan’s, and Sonus Faber Amati’s without a problem in my medium sized room.
Two year ago I decided to re-build the Beard and replace some of the aged components inside. I replace the power supply caps and all the coupling caps. I also replaced some of the resistors that were out of spec. After this the Beard became a new animal, matching the best gear I had at hand. It is a great amplifier if you can find one and a heaven for DIY enthusiasts.
Highly recommended!

Submitted by david anijar a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
very good amp, as asecond hand it is a winner.
beautiful mid & highs.
only for tube amps lovers.

Purchased At:   second hand