Balanced Audio Technology VK-6200 Amplifiers

200W x 6 into 8 ohms

Submitted by llego_van_van a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought this baby brand new in 2002, and is been the best all around amplifier in my system ever since. I have owned the following and sold them all.
Theta Dreadnaught II, Pass Labs X5, Cary Cinema 5, Krell Showcase 7, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 5x400, Classé CAV 180 and I must say that the VK-6200 is going to stay in my system for a very long time. If you can get one RUN don't walk because you may miss out on the very best home theater amplifier money can buy. If you are a two channel guy like me is just as good. I use a Marantz DV9600 modified by Underwood HIFI and I love the combo. Think of 5 individually wrapped mono blocks all in one because that is exactly what is is. The only fault I find is that it weights about 180 lbs. Other than that is a stellar example of audio nirvana.

Submitted by tdavism3 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2005

Bottom Line:
Simply put, this is a tremendous amplifier for both 2 channel and HT applications. I would stack this amp up against many two channels amplifiers. The 6200 can handle the power and weight of action adventure movies while at the same time providing the delicacy necessary on instrumental and vocal tracks.

Purchased At:   Local Dealer

Submitted by Robert Woolley a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2004

Bottom Line:
I'm sure you have all read the numerous and glowing reviews of this flagship amp from BAT. Let me begin by saying that I had a problem when the unit was delivered. I called BAT and they had one of their techs drive a new amp from Delaware to my home in Queens, NY. Unbeatable service!!!
A great sounding SS amp. Period!!

Purchased At:   Sound by Singer

Submitted by Tyke a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
My Sunlight Cinema Grand was struggling to give me the control over the ProAc Response 2.5's that I had bought. I auditioned several high-end amps: Chord (too clinical, but great control of the lower frequencies), Classe (sweet sound, but not enough control of the bottom end), TAG (as bad as I remember Audiolab being!), and Meridian. Just as I was about to give up and keep my Sunfire, I came across the BAT. Very expensive (most US stuff is in the UK), massively heavy, but beautifully built. Oh, but that sound! It combined everything that I had liked about the Classe and Chord amps, but took it all to a new level. Unbelievably detailed sound, that somehow makes the music come alive..you can actually sense the emotion in well recorded CDs. Soundstaging that almost makes stereo tracks sound like surround sound. Until I heard this amp (and I have also owned Krell and Boulder amps in the past)I did not believe that such an involving experience listening to a CD was possible, but the BAT reveals things in music I have not heard before. Equally on DVD: the Eagles DTS version of Hell Freezes Over is one that I have played to death over the years, and yet playing it through the BAT was a completely different experience, huge soundstage, and incredible detail, but also a quality to Henley's vocals that I had not picked up before - an amazing experience. I am using a Meridian 598, with a Lexicon MC8 PreAmp, Chord Cables throughout (Signature interconnects and Odyssey speakers). I urge anyone in the market for a stereo or multi-channel amp to give this baby a listen..it is truly an awesome piece of kit.

Purchased At:   UK

Submitted by Marvin Chang a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
I didn't own it, but I heard this amp at the dealer. It is great sounding. The dealer compare the tube 75SE and the 6200, it is very diffecult to tell the difference. Yes, the deler also use the 50SE pre amp.
6200 does not have the SS sound, it has the high power to control diffecult speakers. It sound better than Krell FPB200, Mark Levinson 332, It is the giant killer for all those high end SS amp on the market now! If yu don't like SS sound and the trouble of tubes, this is it! I am thinking of buying the 50se and 6200!

Premier Mounts: