Balanced Audio Technology VK-200 Amplifiers

4.91/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $3495.00

100 watts

Submitted by llego_van_van a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have always like BAT products especially the highly acclaimed VK-6200 5 channels which I also own.
I must say that this amplifier is one of the best value amp that Mr. Victor Khomenko has design. If you are looking for 2 channel amp that sings like the breeze look no further because you have found it. I see them for sale once in a while on Ebay and Audiogon for very good prices. I highly recommend this beautiful piece of art.

Submitted by Abe Collins a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
What can I say that hasn't already been said about this remarkable solid-state amplifier from BAT? Like my recently purchased BAT VK30se preamp, the construction quality of the VK-200 is truly outstanding. It's built like a battle ship but with lots of care and attention to detail. For a modest 100w/ch amp, at nearly 60 pounds it's fairly heavy. Prior to ever auditioning equipment from BAT, my initial impression was that BAT equipment was rather expensive. I once owned a quality 200w/ch amp that cost somewhat less than the modest 100w/ch BAT VK-200. I figured the 200w/ch amp at less money than the 100w/ch BAT had to be the better buy.

WRONG! Very very wrong!! Even at half the power rating of the larger amp, the BAT VK-200 is the better buy.

In fact, this modest 100w/ch VK-200 is more detailed, transparent, and robust than the 200w/ch or larger 300w/ch amps I've owned in the past. This amp never runs out of juice. I play it loud and it maintains it's composure effortlessly extracting detail and subtlties from very complex music without congestion. It's a very clean and clear sounding amp. The bass is deep, tight, and detailed, never muddy and never lacking punch. The midrange is smooth and articulate while the treble is extended but clean and never bright. The soundstage width and depth are very good, 3-dimensional almost like my tube gear with good focus. This is by far the best solid-state amp I have ever owned. I have also tried various tube amps and still have one. The BAT VK-200 is the only solid-state amp that I think I'll keep for a very long time. I sold the others long ago as I was never completely satisfied with their peformance.

System:
BAT VK30se tube preamp
BAT VK-200 solid-state amp
Cary 306/200 CD player
Tannoy D500 speakers (6-Ohm nom. ~91dB sens.)

Purchased At:   SLIGHTLY USED

Submitted by Owen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
I am trying to put a review in for each piece of equipment I own but I do have other pressing matters and it takes time. I really don't know where to start with this because I feel that this is bar none the best amp (Engineering, build and sound quality) I have ever owned and we can go back a long way on the ones I have owned. In the late '70's I ownned Pioneer 707 Class A, H&K Citation series and MAC. In the '80's I had Rotel and NAD. All were good for the money especially the NAD. Nothing to this day can equal my VK200. One reviewer did mention the importance of having the right equipment and that would include cabling for me to associat with your VK200. I like minimalist Pre's so I bought the VK3i because I'm not into bell's and whistle's. I also think that Victor is ahead of his time in his engineering philosophy and design of fully balanced equipment. I could go on and on about this bad boy but all I can say is that if you are in the market for a good amp go to a dealer that sells BAT and give this baby a listen and I'm sure you will agree with the majority of the reviewers. In order to keep from duplicating my associated equipment please see my entry under CD players, Rotel RCD 991 for this info. IRIE! Jamming.

Purchased At:   MaxAudio

Submitted by Greg a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
Here's a cut to the chase. Run, don't walk, to buy this amp, and be glad you did. It's as good as anything else available under $2k and better than most. And to tell you the truth, you could spend more than twice that amount, yet not better the perfomance had from the VK200. I've sampled everything I cared to sample over a 5 year period. I've owned several VK200's over that period, and the VK200 is the amp I've come back to every time. I've now moved on from the audio habit. I refer to it as such, because buying, sampling, repeated gear can become a form of addiction. But I had fun, have no regrets, and even made a little money in the process. I've settled on the VK200 as the amp to drive my final system. Mated to any BAT preamp (I've owned most of them), I've found it really is as good as it gets. The VK200 drives a pair of Martin Logan CLS IIz's very adequately, and elequently. It's simply, good enough. Enjoy all!

System:

VPI 16.5

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Marc a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
I had heard some great things about BAT equipment. Well, now I know what all the raves are about! At $3500 list (I paid $1900 for a demo) while not cheap, stands up to anything built on the planet today! I almost bought the latest Plinius at twice the price. The Plinius is wonderful, but I couldn't justify the additional $$$. The bass is tight, deep and authoritative. The midrange is sweet with no grain or hardness. The highs are extended and detailed but not fatiguing! It almost sounds like "tube-like" in some regards. I got rid of a Krell amp to get this baby. The Krell, while quite substantial in its own right, was just too detailed - to the point of fatigue! If you have the opportunity to listen to one of these "gentle giants", do so at your own risk. You won't want to keep what you have. What did someone say....."Once you go BAT, you never go back"! Believe it!

Price Paid:    $1900.00