Audion SilverNight 300B Amplifiers

• Consumption: 152 Watts
  • Tubes: 2 x 300B, 2 x 6H1N-EB/E88CC

Submitted by CX Siagian a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
My review is for the 300B push-pull monoblock Silver Night.

For a 25 watt-er, these amps can really 'sang'. Listening to music become a very intimate experience. Of course there is no such thing as a low-fat-bass, still the mid and the treble are very refined. Crispy and delicate.

Listening to a small combo jazz or to an acoustic blues music through these amps really took me to a very high level of musical nirvana.

Purchased At:   used - friend

Submitted by carl11529 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a review for 24W 300B push-pull Silver Night, not for single-ended version.

I bought a demo pair of Silver Night about three years ago, putting in my wife's office, driving a pair of Ensemble Animata. My wife is very satiusified with the sound and the looks.

Recently I got a trade-in Rogers LS3/5a when selling the system in my office (Chinese OEM tube gears driving a pair of Thiel CS2). I bought a Unison Simply 4 for amplification. However, as my office is “over-damped” (there are thousands of books around), the sound is somewhat closed-in and not energetic enough. I though the problem should lie in the amplifier. I brought LS3/5a back home, tried them on my bedroom setting. It consists in a pair of RCA vintage theater amps (150W, 4* 6550 per side) driving a pair of the imposing Sonus Faber Extrema. Although the “tiny” 3/5a does not have the bass impact of Extrema, it does present almost the same elegant sound beginning from mid, with a very good soundstage.

After some consideration, I relocate Simply 4 to my wife's office. Simply 4 and Ensemble are better match as Animata are more efficient than LS3/5a and have more extended treble. I then took my wife's Audion Silver Night's to my office and matching them with LS3/5a. These two are much better match, although many people say that EL34 based tube gear match LS3/5a very well. For me, 300B improves the somewhat closed-in treble of LS3/5a, and has better control over the speaker, though the rated power of Simply 4 and Silver Night are about the same (24W). With this re-arrangement, I am satisfied and can enjoy the music for a long time, though sometimes I would image how the sound would improve if I can get a quad of original Western Electric 300B's and NOS 6922 & 5687 tubes. But the sky-high price of WE 300B always wakes me up from the dream...

Submitted by Chin Koh Leong a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 10, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have used them for over 2 yrs. All the tubes are still in good condition. I have noted that changing the 300B to Sovtek 300B yield more bass. The mullard ECC88 replace the 6922 tube will gives a sweeter and smoother mid-range.

Using it directly and hook up to the Marantz CD-10. The music was smooth and easy listening. Goes well with Jazz and new age music.

Amp is always hot.

I use B&W CDM1 of 88 dB sensitivy. The music is crispy clear and detail.

I would recommend horn speaker to go with it

Submitted by Paul Kim a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
Heard this amp alongside the Cary CAD300SEI and it blew the Cary out of the water.Cheaper, fuller sound; full 300B triode wonders flows from it.

Full potential realised only when used with good 300B tubes like those from Westrex, JJ Electronics.

I'm currently using one with the Westrex 300Bs and change the cheapo Alps volume pot to a Noble. The result: more transparent and greater dynamics.

A must hear - steal for the price !!!

High End: