Audiolab 8000A Amplifiers

4.44/5 (34 Reviews)

(See reviews)

Submitted by Colin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2007

Bottom Line:
I know she is old but what an amazing amp for the price I paid on ebay.. £85 ! I previously had a NAD C350 but have been revisting my old CD's with much glee :) I've partnered it with other cheap old faithfull's off ebay, Tannoy Revolution R2's £80 and a Marantz CD6000 OSE LE though I also use a Philips CD-850 MK11 which seems better for certain cd's I guess the Cd6000 combined with the 8000A is a bit bright sounding with some tracks and the laid back CD-850 chills things out a bit !

Submitted by Jacob Majba a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2007

Bottom Line:
What a stunning amplifier, seriously.
My Father had owned an 8000A MK1 for 15 years and my family had never stopped praising it until finally I got my hands on one of the later 60wpc versions through ebay. A great day had come at last!
Have no qualms - this is one of the most enjoyable amplifiers that you just may have the privilege of listening to.

Purchased At:   ebay seller

Submitted by SS Wong a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2005

Bottom Line:
I had bought the 2nd hand Audiolab 8000A at RM 1200 (~USD 340) in Malaysia about 2 months ago. The version I bought is without the video input connector (s/n 891042, sould be product ~1995?) (there is a newer version with video input, s/n have a “b” in the middle).

I do agree with most reviews saying that it is detail, analytical, neutral, dynamic, good sound stage and space, sound quality very depend on the sound and the system matching including the cables & interconnect. The bass is tight but slightly lack of the quantity and the punch is not deep enough (it may not fulfill the needs of the bass lover). It is more reveal while volume > 9 o’ clock.

Besides, I found it is quite sensitive to the power supply, a good power cord can give obvious improvement on its sound qualilty, the uses of the CD mat also will improve/stand out the sound stage and give more clean and dynamic sound quality.

8000A can be very musical depending on the matching of the system including cables and so on. Currently, i’m quite satisfy with its performance on the song/music I listen to (instrument, new age, classical, drums & vocal). Will give 4.75 star for overall rating if there is. As a 2nd hand amp, it is really worthful.

My current system is:
Pioneer DVD player (going to upgrade)
Audiolab 8000A
AE AEGIS 1 speaker
QED QUNEX2 interconnect & QED QUDOS/ORIGINAL speaker cable

? Previousely is using Monster XP speaker cable n a germany made interconnect – where the system is too bright and lack of bass (improved after using QED)

System had been tested on the 8000A:

A)
NAD C521BEE CD player
Monitor Audio Bronze 3 speaker
Chord cobra 2 interconect & Transparent 14.4hp speaker cable (bi-wire)

B)
Shanling T-80 (tube) CD player
AE 1 speaker
Audio quest interconnec

(The Shanling CD player is a nice piece, good detail and solid build up, excellent connectorfor interconnect)

By the way, is there anybody can share with me the performance on this 8000A with a power amp, if any of you had use the power amp other than 8000P? e.g: Exposure 2010, Quad 606 or 909 and etc.
My email is : sswong@healthtronics.com.my

Purchased At:   Petaling Jaya, Malay

Submitted by b318isp a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
Having owned the Audiolab 8000A series III for a number of years I can give, I hope, a reasonably accurate account of it. I bought it at the time for its accuracy - being partnered with a mildly warm Philips CD850 and mildly forward Tannoy 613's.

In reality, it is mildly coloured. Mid range is slightly forward and hi treble is rolled back. The latter can be adjusted with tone controls. The extra mid range presence gives great atmosphere on good recordings but a metallic harshness on poor.

This is more to do with the accuracy of the amp but I do think it is sensitive to the quality of the source.

One issue I have is that the frequency response is very flat once the volume knob is >8 o'clock - but below this the treble rolls off considerably (up to 7dB). My speakers are 6Ohm nominally so are an easy load for the amp. Unfortunately, most of my listening is done at night and the volume usually is kept between 7 and 8 o'clock.

Adding a bit of treble restores things but if you don't get it right then recording can seem either flat or bright. Furthermore, with different recordings, the volume may need to be adjusted slightly - meaning the treble needs adjusting too. There is no remote for volume or treble!

The tone controls are excellent though - just shaping the frequency curves at 20Hz and 20kHz. The pypass works too - unfortunately often I can't use it :(.

I can't criticise the bass though. It is certainly got all the tightness and oomph I need - and the room and speakers become more contributory in this matter anyway.

The only fault I have had is when one of the gold contacts came off the CD input socket due to the removal of a very tight interconnect. The ground side is not very well attached to the PCB socket inside and is fragile too.

Overall, the Audiolab is a fine amp. Parter it carefully, preferably with 8Ohm speakers and enjoy a very accurate (to the point of being a weakness!), solid, versatile amplifier for years to come.

Submitted by raymz a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
i like it very well, but anyone can help me to get or email me the copy of it's owner's manual. coz i bought it secondhand without it.
now my cd input have distort sound,
anyone know what is the problem?

Purchased At:   malaysia

Phase Linear 8000A linear tracking turntable

So how about anyone's thoughts on the Phase Linear 8000A linear tracking turntable or its twin, the Pioneer PL-L1000A? I'm now the somewhat-proud owner of one with a missing counterweight and head shell. I think I've found a source for those, but do these turntables have some fatal flaw that will ... Read More »

AudioLab 8000A

I 'm looking for a used AudioLab 8000A. Anyone out there willing to sell.Location:Subang Jaya, Malaysia)Read More »

CSB 1206 BLK: