Audio Refinement Multi-5 Amplifiers

4.67/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $2495.00

Multi-5 5.1-Channel Power Amp
  • 5-channel power amplifier
  • 125 watts by 5 into 8 Ohms and 200 watts by 5 into 4 Ohms
  • Massive twin stacked toroidal transformers, isolated from the chassis
  • Custom made capacitors and resistors
  • MOSFET output design using a fully symmetrical signal path layout
  • Inputs: five RCA
  • Outputs: 5 pairs speaker binding posts
  • Adjustable input sensitivity controls next to each RCA input jack
  • 12-volt input for remote turn on and off
  • Fused IEC component AC cable
  • Three point ultra stable chassis platform

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Boniccie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2009

Bottom Line:
    I have been a tube amp fan for many many years.One day i was browsing Audiogon when i came across this amp it was listed for a very low price due to the two rear channels not working. I paid $275 for it and i was ready to use it for my HT to amplify my center and my rear speakers. Iwhen the amp arrived i opened it and changed the fuses for the 2 rear channels and voila all the 5 channels worked just fine. I was blown away by the sound of this amp that i start using it to drive my main speakers(sonus Faber) and i put my awesome CJ MV60 for rest for a while..Believe me when i tell you it is an awesome amp awesome high, mid and really great deep bass i am sure my speakers also has a lot to do with the great sound this amp produce..Buy it without any hesitation..

Submitted by antero a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
    Prior to getting the AR gear, I went through a Kenwood receiver ... the VR 6070 I think... and a Denon AVR 4802. I came across AR for the first time at a mid hifi store in Toronto with the complete alpha cd player and the integre running into a pair of Martin Logan Clarity speakers. That sound started a journey that has led me and my wife into the world of high fidelity audio. I was mesmerized that day, and the virus started working immediately ... "what was I to do to get a system like that?" became an never-ending question ...

fast forward a year, and to my great fortune I did have the opportunity to run through all of AR's gear (cd player, integre, pre-5, pre-2 DSP, and Multi-5) in my home through 2 different systems (a 2 channel and a HT).

I am now left with the Pre-2 DSP and the Multi-5 in my HT system, so I'll start with the Pre-2 DSP.

Overall I find the sound of this AR processor supremely musical compared to the receivers I previously owned (especially the Denon which had a terribly annoying treble bite inherent in its preamp despite its decent resolution, and I could not rid myself of it even after I got the Multi-5, therefore I went out and got the Pre-2 DSP also). Soundstaging depth, width and focus are much better than anything in its class and it matches the AVM-20 from Anthem in all these areas and surpasses it in resolution. Above all it's musical enough that it can be enjoyed for non-critical listening. Bass management is I think one of the weaker areas in this processor. Despite a number of attempts to change this I have had moderate success (an audioquest (AQ) NRG-5 powercord (PC) on it and an AQ king cobra sub cable out to my Tannoy TS-10 sub have provided the best results so far, but deep bass resolution and articulation are still lacking, even in 2 channel mode when running the speakers full range). The highs are crystal clear as others have mentioned but can become fatiguing rather quickly when used for extended music listening, and that is quickly evident with electrostatic speakers. I found that the monster sigma retro gold interconnects (IC) and speaker cables (SC) were the absolute best match for the AR gear (only it becomes rather expensive to run an entire HT with such cables). Clarity, focus through both highs and lows as well as that magical sense of air became evident with the sigmas and made me realize how good the AR gear is. Only problem really was the mild fatigue in the highs (which for the most part is related to the preamp, afterall YBA is known for their amps, not their preamps/processors where they still have a ways to go). Careful system matching does help alleviate this problem, and the matching AR complete alpha cd player sounds very good with it (provided that a Cardas Golden Reference pc is used here with either sigma ic's or cardas neutral reference ic's, otherwise it can sound rather digital), but with those considerations in mind I was able to find a pretty good balance throughout the system with neutral tonality, decent bass and non-fatiguing highs. I tried a variety of isolation devices on it ranging from Goldmund cones, to Isoclean and then to Symposium junior rollerblocks which were the best.

The Multi-5 amp is better than the pre-2 DSP and can with a better processor or preamp bring more joy. In its price class this amp is the BEST. I liked it better than the Rotel/Anthem/Arcam/NAD competitors and easily as good if not better in terms of decay than the Bryston ST series (which sounded dull in comparison). Furthermore, I found through experience that the AR gear is very sensitive to pc's. I tried aq's NRG-2/3/5 pc's on it, cardas' golden power and golden reference (poor choices for amps, slow the pace down too much) and revelation audio labs' precept and precept II (OK, the precept was serious overkill for it but at least I know that the NRG-5 was the way to go here). Overall this amp offers a level of transparency that is only beaten once you get into the 5K price range (not surprisingly, since it's made by YBA), a wide soundstage, but depth is not optimal, good tight bass (but limited here by the pre-2 DSP), excellent highs for the money, fluid and rich tube-like midrange.

I do think that silver ic's and sc's should be avoided with AR gear due to the rather fatiguing highs it can accomplish with such cables. Copper is greatly preferred unless the source is in a higher league than the AR components and even then it can be risky.

MY system:

Modwright Sony NS999ES with signature truth level upgrades (monster sigma ic's with shunyata black mamba v2 pc on player and RAL precept II on tube power supply, with RAL umbilical)

AR Pre-2 DSP and Multi-5 (with aq NRG-5 pc's and RAL Paradise ic's inbetween)

Martin Logan speakers (Aeon i's, Logos, Clarity's)

Cardas Cross sc to fronts and center, Mit Terminator 2 sc to rears

Value: 5 stars (cost/perfomance)
    Overall: 4 stars (nowhere near reference quality but still best for the money)

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   ovation audio

Submitted by mistertee a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2005

Bottom Line:
    I have been looking for an amp for the past year. I've tried B&K,Sherborn,Parasound and Marantz but this amp is one of the best built and the most dynamic amp that I've heard in its price range. This amp is the queitest I've heard.You turn it on and there is no hum or any noise from the tweeter at all.

It has a thundering bass, a huge sound stage and great clarity.

Purchased At:   Audiolabs