Audio Alchemy OM150 Amplifiers

4.67/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $1195.00

150 watts/channel (8ohm) solid state amp with tube like characteristics. Class A up to 20 watts/channel.

Submitted by Old Newbie a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2011

Bottom Line:
I've owned a second-handed OM-150 for a month and I really like its sounding quality. I'm very interested in Tyxxon's review, especially his recommendation to "change the input and output caps to greater capacitance (15KuF instead of 10KuF) and degree rate because the input resistors located near input caps runs very hot".

Since I'm a real newbie and have little electrical knowledge, I would be grateful if Tyxxon and/or anyone who know gives me detailed instructions and answers to:
- In case I can find only 2 greater caps, is it OK to change 2 caps only? If yes, which ones? please kindly show me, the 2 caps in front part or rear part of the board?
- In case I cannot find any 15KuF caps, can I use each cap 5KuF/80v to wire parallely with each existing 10KuF?

I'm looking forward to your kind instructions. Please kindly send your reply to my email havhoa@gmail.com. Thank you very much in advance.

Submitted by Tyxxon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2005

Bottom Line:
I use this amp in my system in dual mono mode around a 1.5 year. Wery powerfull device. In my opinion it has clean, precise sound with warm midrange and accurate bass. I have change the input and output caps to greater capacitance (15KuF instead of 10KuF) and degree rate because the input resistors located near input caps runs very hot. These mods add the depth of sound and bass.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Joe Ede a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
simply superb, so much detail seperation and warmth.

Purchased At:   hongkong

Submitted by Andrew Hand a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
excellent sound quality. has no problem with my acoustat model 3 which arent to easy to power. got used for 450 with both power supplies. best bargin ive ever found. matched with a dlc best sound for the dollar ive ever heard.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by wayne a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've been using this amp for five years and don't see any reason to spend more money on anything more esoteric. This is a terrific amp. Two detachable power supplies provide dual mono operation. I've used the amp with both Martin-Logan SL-3s and Alon II speakers and it works great with both. A very lush, warm midrange that provides more then a hint of tubes, with a powerful bass.

PANAMAX: