Aronov Audio LS-960I Amplifiers

4.33/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $2800.00

Submitted by Dave Ivie a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is my second review of this product after owning and living with it for nearly two years. I've learned more about this amp, and would like to address some concerns I've written about and read from others.

First let me state, I am still very pleased with the performance of this amp. Currently, it is centered in my systems as follows:

Speakers: Dantax Vision II
CD Player: Electrocompaniet EMC-1
Amplification: Aronov LS960i (of course)
Line Conditioner: Bybee Signature
Bybee Ultra Speaker Filters
Vibrapods
Black Diamond Racing Cones
Orchard Bay Brass Cones w/Pucks
Ruby Tubes KT88 (4 matched)

I think my system sounds fantastic, and at the nerve center is the Aronov. Anything I could state here that would describe the sound has already been stated. Friends, and neighbors always comment about the imaging, or how natural the system sounds. One person seriously asked me where I hid my sub woofer.

A couple of discoveries.

First, this amp responds well to some degree of mechanical resonance control. Vibrapods worked OK. BDR Cones are better. Then my local dealer suggested I remove cover, the bottom plate, and the rubber feet, and try threading 3 BDR cones into the amp with a special screw. I placed (2) #3 cones into the back corners where the rubber feet were, and (1) #4 cone into the front center. This tightened up the bass and improved its clarity and focus.

Second, this amp likes power cords. I have the Electra Glide Fat Man. This is a better cord than the Fat Boy. This gave the amp more body and weight in the bass, but seemed to improve the midrange as well.

Third, this amp can be improved with new tubes. I've recently purchased a matched set of KT88s from a company called Ruby Tubes. This turned out to be a phenominal upgrade for only $120. Still more improvement in the bass and midrange. Better detailing, and imaging. Soundstage size improved both left to right as well as front to back. Others have utilized KT88s and KT90s with good results as well. The point here is that the stock 6550 tubes are fine, but can easily be bettered. I have not tried replacing the preamp tubes, but those will be next.

As far as complaints, I'm one of those who was plagued with that annoying intermittent hum. It frustrated me for a long time. I tightened the transformers, placed small pieces of anti-vibration material between metal to metal contact. What turned out to be the problem were a couple of loose nuts/screws on the tube sockets. These are tiny parts, but once tightened, the noise ceased. My amp has not hummed in months.

other annoyances...the left and right channel volume controls settings are about a half click off. I have to turn the right channel volume control up a half notch to match the SPL of the left channel to get things balanced and the images in focus.

Biggest complaint...Aronov keeps jacking up the price of thier products, but offer no improvements. I believe the product now retails for $4000. Two years ago it was something like $2500.

I sent a note to Aronov asking if they would ever consider offering some sort of upgrade path. Never got a response back.

Someone in a prior review mentioned not being able to sell their amp on the internet. I've seen these amps priced at approximately $1500 (give or take). For those of you reading these comments trying to decide on purchasing this amp used, $1500 is a very good price for this very good product. I wouldn't consider selling mine.

I'm giving the amp a 4 star value rating based on the $4000 retail price...this is a gouge. I'm giving this a 5 star rating overall because the amp is still great!!

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Submitted by Stephen Anderson a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've owned the Aronov 960I for about 4 years now and continue to enjoy it immensely. I am sorry that a couple of the reviewers had bad experiences but I suspect those are not the norm. The thing I like most about my Aronov is that it sounds as close to live music as anything that I have listened to. The thing an amp should do is pass thru and amplify the source signal and nothing else and that is what the 960I does. I find it has a very accurate and not a "muddy" bass at all. If you find a "muddy" bass with the Aronov then you should probably suspect your speakers. Also, if you have a "veiled" sound with an Aronov then it might be your cabling or your source component. Another thing it could be is your line conditioner. I hope this helps anyone. I hope someday to upgrade to preamp and mono's.

Submitted by John a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
I wanted very much to like this amp with it's nice retro styling. However, sonically it just does not measure up with the average modern tube designs of today. I could never get rid of the annoying hum noise and gave up trying to rescue this patient, no matter how good it looks. Sorry, this is an outdated amplifier and is virtually impossible to find a buyer for. I know, I tried to sell it and have been met with ridicule, yet probably deserving offers. sorry Aronov, but I would like to see a single positive review of this amp that does not date back to the middle ages. Reviews are useless anyways, go and hear this thing and you will know waht I mean...

Submitted by Dominik Bruecher a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
O.K. this is my second review about my beloved Aronov Integrated, but since my first one, there were a lot of changes in my whole chain....
I changed almost everything, to much better (and unfortunately also more expensive) stuff... BUT: I haven't found any better amp than my Aronov!!! YES, it is that good! I'm very happy with it, and I don't know how somebody can be so cruel and set this product to 1 star????

My chain (today):

Speaker: Zingali Horns (prof. Monitors 97 dB/W/m)
CD: Metronome transport & 96kHz DAC
Analog: Tuned Rega P3 (stone-base, tonearmlift...)
Transfiguration Spirit
EAR Phonostage
Cable: Speaker: Hovland
RCA: Harmonix Technology
Digital: JPS (best one)
Power: JPS, HMS, Marigo, Nirvana....
Tuner: Naim Nait2

There are a few important things for the best use of the Aronov:
1. Use a good powercord!
2. Set your amp on damping devices
3. Change the four 12AX7 tubes! I have tried Telefunken ECC83, but better and much cheaper are Amperex 7025 (equivalent!)
4. Change the two volume pots! I have built in stepped attenuators with 24 steps! Take the 50kOhm one! It's a very good thing to do!

If you have any questions, please send me a mail.

Submitted by Randy Banta a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have owned this amp now for 1 ½ years now. I also have The Audio Note Kit One 300b amp, highly modified. I listen to both for a week or two at a stretch. I prefer the Aronov 960i most of the time for it's better detail and precision. I like it a lot. I replace the 6550 tubes with KT-90's and the 12ax7 tubes with the new Sovtek 12ax7LP's. It sounds great with this combo. I use Von Schweikert VR-4 speakers and I do get excellent low bass out of this amp. There the KT 90's tubes really sing. I love the sound of tubes for music.

System

Room has acoustic panels front, sides, and back.
Von Schweikert VR-4 speakers