Arcam Delta 290 Amplifiers

4.69/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $900.00

Integrated Amp - 75 watts

Submitted by Jarvis a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2016

Bottom Line:
The 290 was the top of the line integrated of Arcam's prestigious Delta product range (the next step from the entry Alpha range). It enjoyed a long production run until the end of the '90s, while its price significantly increased, from a little under 500GBP (without the phono) at the beginning to almost double that towards the end.
Bought mine used for 300 Euro + shipping without the phono 3 years ago in near mint condition. I was very impressed to say least. Clear, dynamic yet smooth, excellent projections, real 3D soundstage, superbly balanced sound.
It easy bettered by A-B comparison my holy trinity of integrated that consisted of my Audiolab 8000A mk2, Quad 77, and Naim Nait 5i. I somehow knew it was gonna be better than my Audiolab, and I expected it to be a close call with my Nait. But I most certainly did not expect the 290 to sound better than my beloved Quad 77. Well, it did sound better overall. So the 290 became a keeper and sold the Audiolab.
Arcam Delta 290 integrated amps are rarely offered for sale, because people that have them love them. So, be careful: Check thoroughly if one comes in your way, usual faults include transistor insulation melt that blows fuses, input selector, and balance pot.
This is an all time great integrated amplifier up there with the best of the best at any price, so yes buy it, you will enjoy it. A lot!

Submitted by nick200wrx a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2009

Bottom Line:
Amazing for the money in the second hand market. Less than £100 gets you a lot of amp.
Sounds better than arcam alpha 8 and 9 to me.
Just look for dodgy input selector.

Submitted by ericburnley a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
Being a music lover on a budget is a difficult thing. As a college student, I never was able to purchase any sort of listening gear (too busy paying for musical instruments- guitars, keyboard, amps, etc.). So, after being out of college for 6 years, I found myself thoroughly tired of listening to the Realistic brand record player/amplifier that had sat in my parents' garage for the duration of my youth, and decided to take the plunge and purchase some real equipment.

The amplifier was the first thing to go for. I did a lot of reading reviews on this site (great site btw!), and decided on a price range of about $200-300. For that price, a home theater system was pretty much out- plus, I figured I could hold off until the market (and the many coding formats) settled and pick something up used in a couple years. So, I learned about some quality integrated stereo amps and figured that's what I could afford. Some of the other amps I considered: Creek 4330, Rotel, NAD 350/3020, Cambridge A500, Denon DRA775. I knew I wanted a decent phono stage too, to jump into vinyl eventually. Ultimately, I decided on the Arcam based on the reviews here.

The sound of this amp is amazing. Everything is tight and controlled- from tasteful bass, to midrange vocal presence, to crisp yet warm highs. Good recordings have such a presence I never expected- jazz vocal recordings (which I have a soft spot for) appear to be right in the room with me. There's a natural, neutral quality to everything. I've heard amazing things about soundstage, but have yet to upgrade other items in my system (cd player/cables) and have only experienced marginal amazement in that category. Still, this amp astounds me. I've paired it with Axiom M22ti speakers (amazing inexpensive quality speakers!) and an old Revolver turntable, and am very very happy with the results.

Submitted by galvonised a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
This amp is stunning eventhough it is a couple of years old now. Bass is very tight and treble is clear and warm.
The arcam has shed loads of power on tap and 75wpc is plenty i have 2 pairs of jr149 speakers and it can power them easily. at 40% volume the speakers clip but at that volume your ears hurt!!!!!
It does need to warm up and when it does the sound is truly incredible.
I have recently purchased a denon 1803 av reciver and the arcam blows that away.
when phono board fitted can make turntables sound thier best.

Submitted by Adam Davies a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a very versatile amp. Full remote control and a facilty to override the volume control when used in a home cinema setup. There's also the option of a phono stage. I agree with comments that this amp needs to warm up to perform at it's best. It's well worth the wait, you get a wonderfully rounded rich sound with bags of detail and superb imaging. If thats not enough, try adding a Delta 290P power amp, then you're into a whole new ballgame. Improved separation greater dynamics and also there is noticeably more bass at the subsonic end of the spectrum. Originally I used these amps with an Arcam Delta 270 CD player and was more than happy with the results. I have now upgraded?? to a cheaper Marantz CD6000 KI. The sound is now stunning. Taut rythmic and very fast, with a real 3 dimentional soundstage. Speakers are Acoustic Energy AE1 Series II. A brilliant amp. To hear it at it's best it needs to be partnered with a high quality clean sounding source and speakers. A tip I picked up from a Hi fi dealer: if you are biamping with a D290P, try using the power amp to drive the tweeters and the integrated to drive the bass. This is the opposite to what Arcam recommend, but it tightens up the bass and improves imaging. Try it you may be pleasantly surprised.

Purchased At:   Second Hand