Arcam Alpha 8R Amplifiers

4.57/5 (21 Reviews) MSRP : $700.00

Integrated Amp with A/V and Remote Control

Submitted by nick200wrx a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have to say that I was a little dissapointed with this amp, it was a bit muddy and to my ears not as good as the dlta 290.

I bought one for £57.00 and for less than 60.00 I suppose is a good amp second hand, but I wont buy one again.

Submitted by justincarrick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
A class act. I love this amp. Have coupled it with Arcam CD player and B&W 602 speakers. Couldn't ask for more from an amp. Compared it against numerous other amps prior to purchase, and none came anywhere near.

Submitted by ROCKHARD a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
Mostly it's been said above . These are great value for money amps to get you into 'hifi respectability' . I used to think Technics amp/cd with Mordaunt Short speakers had good sound and power but the Arcams have power and sophistication . I got the 8 for £180 used and the 8P new at previous Augusts end of line clearance at £220 to bi-amp Celestion A1s . Bargains really . Alpha 7se cd came shortly after ( again after home demo couldn't see value in CD72 ).
The sound is warm and slightly laidback , a little to do with the amps but also the A1s I'm sure . Lots of bass , which my room probably helps with but detail and top end not bad either . Overall , smoothness is the main characteristic . 50wpc doesn't seem like much but this setup does LOUD without harshnes or fatigue .I listen mostly to rock music Zep , Floyd , Hendrix , Vai , Pearl Jam , well you know the stuff ,and thought the sound a little too rounded off and was advised to change interconnects from the cheap standards . I tried 4/5 expensive interconnects of which Straightwire Rhapsody II impressed with bass/mid but seems fatigueing with hard top end . Cable Talk Broadcast 3 had smoother top but plenty of bass welly , perhaps too much . Supra EFF/ISL seem to be spot on .

This setup is for sale now but only because I found some more bargains and splashed out on the Celestion A3s and Pink Traingle's new Intregral but that's a different story . In the time I've had the Arcams I've listened to music more and bought more cds than I have in the last ten years . This is a true quality sound and fantastic value .

Purchased At:   Wilkinsons/SoundsExp

Submitted by Neill Davies a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this integrated along with an ex-demo Alpha 9 CD and an Alpha 8 Tuner, with a view to replacing my Sony midi system. Although the sound produced by these separates was much clearer and more detailed, I decided to return the system to the shop. Why? As a rock fan I like my music to have a deep, powerful bass and soaring treble dynamics, and I found the 8R amp could produce neither. I had to turn the tone controls up full to get anything like the sound I was looking for. Music such as Pink Floyd did not rattle the rafters in the way it should, and the whole experience was too polite and refined. I am no certainly no audiophile but I am a competent musician and sound engineer. If you like rock or dance and want an amp to raise hairs on the back of your neck, this is not for you. I don't wish to sound confrontational, and I understand that many people like this amp. Maybe my unit was faulty. However it illustrates the golden rule: demo before you buy. I bought purely on magazine recommendations, and I was fortunate that my retailer offered a refund. P.S. If anyone can offer advice on affordable alternatives, please email me, before I lose my faith in hi-fi separates!

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
Great value for money. Bought to replace an old MF B1. Took a while to break in. Very realistic bass. Bass strings are firm with clear edges. No wooliness whatsoever. Sweet when it needs to be but retaining clarity and assertiveness. The NAD 350 that I had was quite bland in comparison lacking the deep solid bass of the Arcam. The Musical Fidelity B1, although over 10 years old, has a faster bass, slightly more attack and is a little more involving, projecting rock vocals slightly more to the fore. For classical music the Arcam separates strings better and has more air and gives the feel of being at the concert. The Arcam generally matches the MF though and is a pleasure to listen to. At the price definitely a true bargain.

High End: