Arcam Alpha 8R Amplifiers

4.59/5 (22 Reviews) MSRP : $700.00

Integrated Amp with A/V and Remote Control

Submitted by Jarvis a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2016

Bottom Line:
Amazing sound quality! These amps sell used nowadays for around 250 Euro, which is very little money for such a great sound. The Alpha 8 replaced my Alpha 7 and made clear audible difference for the better. For those out in the market now for an Arcam Alpha integrated keep in mind that models 8 & 9 sound exactly the same (the 9 being more powerful off course) and are both significantly better than the 7, but sound inferior to the superb Alpha 10.
Overall the Alpha 8 is fantastic value for money to buy used, its vey versatile and will fit easily in most systems. Sound is rich, thick, a little dark in a way, warm, very forward, detailed and clear. A touch of high end for peanuts now, but mind you it was very expensive for only 50W when new.

Submitted by nick200wrx a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have to say that I was a little dissapointed with this amp, it was a bit muddy and to my ears not as good as the dlta 290.

I bought one for £57.00 and for less than 60.00 I suppose is a good amp second hand, but I wont buy one again.

Submitted by justincarrick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
A class act. I love this amp. Have coupled it with Arcam CD player and B&W 602 speakers. Couldn't ask for more from an amp. Compared it against numerous other amps prior to purchase, and none came anywhere near.

Submitted by ROCKHARD a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
Mostly it's been said above . These are great value for money amps to get you into 'hifi respectability' . I used to think Technics amp/cd with Mordaunt Short speakers had good sound and power but the Arcams have power and sophistication . I got the 8 for £180 used and the 8P new at previous Augusts end of line clearance at £220 to bi-amp Celestion A1s . Bargains really . Alpha 7se cd came shortly after ( again after home demo couldn't see value in CD72 ).
The sound is warm and slightly laidback , a little to do with the amps but also the A1s I'm sure . Lots of bass , which my room probably helps with but detail and top end not bad either . Overall , smoothness is the main characteristic . 50wpc doesn't seem like much but this setup does LOUD without harshnes or fatigue .I listen mostly to rock music Zep , Floyd , Hendrix , Vai , Pearl Jam , well you know the stuff ,and thought the sound a little too rounded off and was advised to change interconnects from the cheap standards . I tried 4/5 expensive interconnects of which Straightwire Rhapsody II impressed with bass/mid but seems fatigueing with hard top end . Cable Talk Broadcast 3 had smoother top but plenty of bass welly , perhaps too much . Supra EFF/ISL seem to be spot on .

This setup is for sale now but only because I found some more bargains and splashed out on the Celestion A3s and Pink Traingle's new Intregral but that's a different story . In the time I've had the Arcams I've listened to music more and bought more cds than I have in the last ten years . This is a true quality sound and fantastic value .

Purchased At:   Wilkinsons/SoundsExp

Submitted by Neill Davies a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this integrated along with an ex-demo Alpha 9 CD and an Alpha 8 Tuner, with a view to replacing my Sony midi system. Although the sound produced by these separates was much clearer and more detailed, I decided to return the system to the shop. Why? As a rock fan I like my music to have a deep, powerful bass and soaring treble dynamics, and I found the 8R amp could produce neither. I had to turn the tone controls up full to get anything like the sound I was looking for. Music such as Pink Floyd did not rattle the rafters in the way it should, and the whole experience was too polite and refined. I am no certainly no audiophile but I am a competent musician and sound engineer. If you like rock or dance and want an amp to raise hairs on the back of your neck, this is not for you. I don't wish to sound confrontational, and I understand that many people like this amp. Maybe my unit was faulty. However it illustrates the golden rule: demo before you buy. I bought purely on magazine recommendations, and I was fortunate that my retailer offered a refund. P.S. If anyone can offer advice on affordable alternatives, please email me, before I lose my faith in hi-fi separates!

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds