Arcam 1 Amplifiers

3.6/5 (5 Reviews)

integrated amplifier

Submitted by Peter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
I like this little baby a lot. It was my first purchase in the separates arena; I had an old HK, then a Marantz receiver. I wanted to know if separates were better, and indeed they are. I was looking at NAD, AMC, and Cambridge Audio for an entry level musically designed integrated amp. NAD for me is great, but a little shrill and thin sounding at times. I prefer my music a little softer like the Marantz and HK. Therefore the Arcam Alpha seemed like a good choice. It has a very airy sound to it and respectable amounts of base in the nether regions, but your're speakers gotta be able to pick it up. Also you can really here tremendous detail without hurting your ears. The 35 watts seems to belly its actual power; I had a pair of Paradigm 5Se Mk III's on it for a party and it rocked pretty good. This product is perfect for someone seriously into 2 channel music on a budget. Its also nice at regular listening levels, something you don't get with receivers, and where most of my listening is done (ie under 1/4 turn).

Submitted by John Sildner a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a very good amp, and a miracle for the money. No, it doesn't cut it with the big guns, it's no madrigal, or krell etc... but it is one of the best budget components out there. The alpha one, more than any of the other arcam products in the alpha line offers serious sound for under 500 dollars. Decent amp. GREAT deal. I will give it five stars for the value, and four for the overall. (I would give it five, but come on. It really isn't as musical as many other amps. It is a winner in its price range.

Submitted by Dave a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 24, 1999

Bottom Line:
Audiophile, c'mon, I just like good music. An audiophile is someone that has disposeable income to spend 20,000 on a amp that sounds slightly better then a 2,000 one. As far as the project goes spend a little more for the ortofon super om 10 and for only $80 you'll hear a big difference. Needle doctor is a good place to call, they really know their stuff, and best of all, I only live 10 miles from them. And no, I have no affiliation with them.

Submitted by Antonio Matos Rodrigues a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 31, 1999

Bottom Line:
I needed to replace my old Sanyo receiver for some new bugdet ou higher material. Having bought medium class CD Player and tuner I started to test two NAD (C320, C340) amplifiers with rather poor satisfaction. With a couple of euros more I listened to the Alfa One witch seemed to me a more mature amplifier than NAD. I like it listining to orchestra, Jazz, piano,...I can feel and distinguish (separate) the instruments again, the sound is coloured and it puts me inside the orchestra. The bass is complete, the treble isn't agressive.
I recommend it.
Antonio

Submitted by jose a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 12, 1999

Bottom Line:
arcam 1 stereo integrated ampliifier