Aragon 8008X3 Amplifiers

4.88/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $2500.00

200 watts x 3 channels

Submitted by william graft a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have been very happy with this amplifier. I tested this against krell, proceed, tag mclaren, mcintosh and less expensive models such as adcom, acurus, nad, etc and found this vey much to my liking. Aragon seems to have found the right combinatiion of amps and watts in their 8008 series and do not have to take a back seat to anyone. The sound was much smoother than the more expensive krells and fuller at lower power than the equally priced proceed and tag. I was not even willing to listen to more than a few minutes of the mac when compared side by side with my aerial 10t's...the mac just did not cut it. I have just upgraded to the aragon 8008bb x 5 and will give a report in the next 6-9 months or so.....btb......the aerial 10t's if anyone is interested are a perfect match for the aragon 8008bb's.....just biwire or biamp them for their best sound...

Submitted by Trance a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
Well it’s been 7 years now that I have been testing and checking out almost any audio component I can get my hands on. I finally sold my acurus system and upgraded to the Aragon family of amplifiers. I’ve had the Aragon 8008BB for a couple of years so I was not surprised to hear the same performance from the 8008x3. This Monster amplifier is larger than the 8008BB due to its extra channel. Its built like a tank and very well constructed. It sounds dynamic and powerful especially on the bass. The highs are smooth and sweat. The Mids are natural and warm sounding. There is not much to say about this fantastic amplifier except for the fact that it has endless power and sounds great, it can drive any speaker on the market and it is built to last for many years to come. One thing that confuses me with the company that makes these wonderful amplifiers ( Mondial ) is that they always insisted that a real multi channel amplifier cannot have more than 3 channels due to the size factor ( not enough space to power all 5 channels so each channel will give out enough power needed according to mondials specs ) and the fact that a real 5 channel amplifier would be to big and heavy and yet they just released a 5 channel Aragon rated at 200 watt. I wonder why they changed their mind?

Submitted by John Dooley a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
I was amazed at what the Aragon 8008BB amp did for my Martin Logan SL-3's speakers back in Feb. 1999, & I thought Aragon (Mondial) was the answer for the best price per sound ratio. Now I am having second thoughts...I first bought audio equipment to upgrade my stereo system from Yamaha separates (pre-amp, amp, & surround sound) with Polk Audio SDS-2 (mains) & Infinities (rears) speakers over to Audio Research pre-amps (LS-9 then LS-16) with Aragon 8008BB amp with Martin Logan SL-3's. I then added a HT to this with an Acurus ACT-3 pre-amp with Adcom 5503 3 channel amp, which was about $1000 cheaper than the Aragon 8008-X3, to Martin Logan Logos (center) and Scripts (rears) speakers. I had nothing but troblue with the Acurus ACT-3 pre-amp & when given the 1st chance with a trade up progran to the Aragon Soundstage, which I tested, I ended up with the Theta Casa Nova instead. Later a Mondial rep E-mailed me some strange philosophy about "NOT" possible problems with the Acurus ACT-3 pre-amp, which has bought my love affair with Mondial to a low point. I also bought an Aragon 47K phono amp, but Mondial was very vague on its delivery & its O.K. for the price range. I started checking out the Theta Dreadnauhgt amp & was impressed with its clarity & tonality, but the price was a too high. The Adcom 5503 3 channel amp did O.K. for the last year & a half, but I always wondered what if I had the Aragon 8008-X3 3 channel amp in its place. I was thinking that to have matching amps to matching speakers would round off the tonality of the audio system. Later I was given a very good deal with an Aragon 8008-X3 3 channel amp & I have been burning it for the last couple of days. Its a little cleaner sounding than the Adcom 5503 3 channel amp, but not that much more to write about except that the Aragon 8008-X3 3 channel amp looks better in my front room because it matches the color of my Aragon 8008BB amp (it has a green light & the Adcom had a red light). Sometimes I wish I had the money for the top of the line audio gear (for my ears it's Audio Research & Theta), but there are other things in life more important. Mondial dealers in southern CA. have always been good & that makes me happy, but I am left still wondering...

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   YAWA

Submitted by Steve Phelps a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
Man this thing rocks. I running it for the front sound stage in my 29' x 21' home theater. The Arogon runs the big Polk Audio SDA 2.3TL's on Left & Right and 2 Polk CS350's in the center (3 Ohm Load) Feeding the amp with a Lexicon DC-1 with version 4.0 software. I have a dedicated 20 amp circuit breaker just for this amp. Its quite power hungry. It seems that it has no limit to its power output.
I run NAD218THX for the rear channels for a totally mind shaking experience in the home theater.

Submitted by Kevin Magee a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
The best way to describe this amp is the it
is a gentle giant. Have you seen the movie,
"The Green Mile." with Tom Hanks? Well this
is the big black guy. Looks like a brute
but boy is it special and the sound very
delicate and detailed but oh so forceful
and powerful when the material calls for
it. The sound reminds me of Krell, but for
a fraction of the price. Vocals are some of
the most natural that I have heard and the
sound stage is very good, though not as
good as some of the best tube amps I have
heard.
In summary, this amp. is hard to beat at
this price point. I have heard better but
at 3 times the price they should be better.

Premier Mounts: