Aragon 8008ST Amplifiers

4.58/5 (19 Reviews) MSRP : $2000.00

Submitted by nurxhunter a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2005

Bottom Line:
Very close to tube sound. Really. Excellent width of stage. Ptetty good depth--I listen to rock and R&B, so with 4-8 piece band, opportunity for depth is probably limited by recording. Very smooth highs, only the slightest bit rolled off. Pre and DAC quality very important for smooth highs. Bass depth and control is outstanding. Gets only moderately warm (I use efficinet speakers) A great value. Runs class A <25 Watts, a lower volumes, sound is particularly smooth and cohesively detailed.

Purchased At:   Agon

Submitted by Rabby a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have owned this amp for more than a year and I'm still in love like I was in the honeymoon. If you consider high power amplifiers try any 8008 (st, bb or MkII) before buying Hi-End brands like Mark Levinson, Krell, etc...

This amp is highly musical and enjoyable! The highs are as clear as crystal, the mids are as realistic as you could touch, and the lows are among the best of best regardless of price. 8008 BB might do a little bit better but in my system I can hardly tell any difference.

This amp is built to last for decades, but if I ever have chance to buy another amp it will be Aragon!

My system:
CD: Accuphase DP-65
Amp: Aragon 8008 ST
Speakers: Dynaudio Coutour 3.0
Cables: Cardas Neatral Reference

Purchased At:   Authorized Dealer

Submitted by kyle a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have own this amp for 3 years and never looked back sence.
This amp can hold its own with the big boys. Rock solid bass, great detail and depth within the soundstage. Top end is detail but not overly etched. I am a college student and for the money this this is a frickin bargen. My only complaint is when driven hard the top end turns dry, starts to jump out at you.

Equip.
Aragon 8008st
Thiel 2 2
Mit 750
Audio Research LS-3
Micromega

Submitted by Jim a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
Out of the box this amp sounded ok, but given a week to burn in it sounded 1000 times better!! Sound stage is incredible, and even though I've noted a few of the reviews stating problems with the upper end, teamed up with the Audible Illusions this thing sounds transparent, detailed, and surprisingly warm for a solid-state.

The low end is very strong and it can handle any speaker you throw at it. For the price it is outstanding! I would think you'd have to spend about $6000 to get anything notably better.

I am considering upgrading to the BB when I get my new speakers.

Purchased At:   Audio Breakthroughs

Submitted by Jeff a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my previous review dated 1/7/00. I have had a chance to really burn in the unit for a year and it has
become an amazing performer. The sound is crystal clear,
and the tonal shadings and dynamics are stunning. I have not experienced such articulate, powerful bass in an amp anywhere near the price. Clearly, this amp is a true reference instrument - it easily can delineate any change in components or recording. The best reproducer of female voice and piano from a solid state amplifier. This is the first amplifier that I have owned that improves with each component upgrade.
With the best recordings, the sound is spectacular. I enjoy all types of music from classical, to jazz to the outer edges of rock. Although Nine Inch Nails might not be everyone's cup of tea, their latest album "Fragile", one of the best engineered rock recordings probably of all time, has a number of cuts that will show you just how spectacular this
amp can be when the recording is top notch. I've been told the 8008BB upgrade is even better! So, if you are one of those caught in the dilema of purchasing the 8008ST vs the 8008BB - you won't be disappointed with the 8008ST - you can upgrade anytime. My apologies for the four star review in January - this amp clearly deserves FIVE STARS!!!

Award-Winning Axiom: