Antique Sound Lab Hurricane 200W Push Pull Mono Block Power Amplifiers

- Input sensitive 1.7V.
- Power request 610W.
- Fuse 10A Slow blow.
- Power cord Detachable.
- Output Termininal 5 Way Gold Plate Heavy duty.
- Chassis Finish Shinning Steel.
- Front Panel Finish Aluminium /Gold /Silver or Black Anodizing.
- Tube Complement KT88 x 8,6SN7 x 3.

Submitted by CMN a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have the fortunate financial blessings to purchase any piece of equipment i can judicate worthy of spending my hard earned money on(and yes i do work hard for my money as we all do).I have owned the 2 pair of ASL Hurricanes since 2003 and find them to hard working solid dependable and can it be possible better sounding with time amps.I cant find anything that i would replace them with and consider the $5000/pr a bargain for the rewards they have given me.You could spend $50,000 on amps and not get the "bang for the Buck these amps give.I have even listened to the Hurricane IIIs and still find the original recipe to be the best.IF YOU CAN FIND THE ORIGINAL HURRICANES RUN,AND I MEAN RUN TO THE BANK AND BUY THEM.You can enjoy them for years and probably sell them for more than you paid.I did see one pair selling for $3800 and by the time my friend called(he has wanted mine for the last 7 years)they were sadly gone...a 2 day listing!If you want your music to give you goose bumps this amp will do that and more.In one rip of the horn by Louis Armstrong I actually heard him lick his lips between breaths and almost felt the wetness as he blew out the condensation trap.WOW!!How can it get any better than that?

Submitted by Claude Fauve a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2010

Bottom Line:
French, I speak very little English...
I want to buy a pair of Antique Sound Lab Hurricane Power Amplifier New or, minimal very good... With 230 V voltage and send ito France...(2 pieces mono amplifier Hurricane 200w each)
Do you have this possibility ? Your delivery Time and the price include Port, please?
The old model oblong (your photo) where good for me...
Please your answer... when you can in French... or English...

Claude Fauve
9, allée Gabriel Fauré
F. 59250 HALLUIN

Submitted by denf a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
For many years and through many system iterations, I have always wanted to try an all-tube amplifier. Do to various reasons (not the least of which were my kids and their small, probing fingers) I was finally able to reach a long sought- after goal of building a dedicated listening room.

So, now, with no excuses not to try tubes, I eagerly dived into and purchased the Hurricanes -- sight unseen and unheard, after reading LOTS of great press, including the "gushing" review in Absolute Sound.

As a VERY interesting comparision, I also had on hand, for several months, a Spectron Musician II solid state amp. Talk about absolute opposites! The Hurricanes are basically a tube design that has been around since the 50's? 40's? The Spectron is cutting edge, 21st century DIGITAL technology -- couldn't be any farther apart from each other in design.

This is a review on the "2nd" version of the Hurricanes, with the paper-in-oil caps, and the Pentode/Triode switch. There is yet a 3rd version now available, which supposedly has further "improvements".

On to the sound; it is, in a nutshell fantastic. If I was limited to only one adjective to describe the Hurricane sound, it would be "organic". There is a certain "rightness" to the sound, that once heard and experienced, is unmistakable.

Voices, both male and especially female (try the fabulous Norah Jones - Come away with me) is so life-like and "in the room" as to be scary and uncanny. High frequencies are crystal clear, the bass is again, organic, deep and real sounding.

Soundstage W-I-D-T-H is incredible, depth is also dramatic.

These were the characteristics that I long suspected a great tube amp would deliver, and deliver the Hurricanes do - in proverbial spades. The background is "black" and dead quiet, I hear absolutely NO hiss, or other artifact with these amps. Something I frankly did NOT expect with an "antiquated" tube design.

I thought the Spectron Musician II was pretty darn good, but the Hurricanes simply take the reproduction to a whole other level -- in the all important terms of REAL-ism and that ineffable "musicality".

Are they perfect. No. The top end, while clear as a bell, lacks the very top most extension and "air", especially compared to the Spectron or other good solid state designs. (One caveat -- this is when the Hurricanes are running full range into my Prodigys, which drop to a nasty 1-2ohms at the upper frequencies. I DID NOT hear this lack of air when the 'Canes were powering a pair of VMPS RM40's that I also had for a short time.)

Also, while the bass actually surprised me with the tighness and depth, overall, as as somewhat expected for a tube design, won't send any Krell's or other "powerhouse" solid state amps running for the hills in a bass contest.

But again, if overall musicality is paramont in your quest, these are minor quibbles, and are thankfully "subtractive" in nature, so as not to draw notice to them.

Lastly, I do not hear any "euphonic colorations" or "character" to these amps. They are very neutral, and easily reveal changes in up-stream components, cables, recording quality, etc.

Overall, the best sound this audio pilgrim has found.. so far.

As one audio buddy who recently heard these in my system put it "I just don't know how it could sound any better, or any more real...."

Nuff said.

My system;

Martin-Logan Prodigy
Audio Aero Capitole 24/192 cd
Analysis Plus Oval 9/Silver Oval bi-wire
Analysis Plus Oval Crystal intrc.
Acoustic Zen Tsunami ACcords
PS Audio P300
Well Tempered Labs Classic V t.t.
B.A.T. P5 all tube phono stage
Shakti "Stones" and "on lines"
various isolation feet/cones, etc.
Dedicated room with dedicated AC runs and various sound treatment throughout.

Purchased At:   AudioGon

Submitted by a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
Nothing to say really, simply the best anywhere, at any price, for every kind of music. Buy them. Now.

Purchased At:   Audio Dealer