Antique Sound Lab AV-25 Amplifiers

• Tube-rectified power supply
  • Output tubes: 6L6 X 2

Submitted by JimmyBlues a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
After my Dynakit Stereo 70 blew an electrolytic capacitor during the Winter of 2006/2007, I decided that it was time to invest in a new tube amplifier.

I didn't want to spend a fortune on one (which one can do easily on hi-end tube gear), yet wanted an amplifier which would give me the lush tube sound that I've come to enjoy over the years, while also offering reliability.

After doing some research, I narrowed my purchase down to the VTL 25 mini monoblocks, the Antique Sound Lab AV 25 monoblocks, and the Quicksilver Mini Mite monoblocks; all tube amplifiers.

The Quickie and VTL 25's had already established an excellent reputation for musicality in a low powered amplifier. So price became a prime consideration here.

Given that the VTL 25's were $500 more than the Quickies, I decided to purchase the Quicksilvers, and with the $500 savings, add another $200 and also get a pair of the ASL AV 25's.

For $200 more than the VTL 25's, I had two nice pairs of tube monoblocks.

As for the sound, I'd have to give the edge to the Quicksilver Mni Mites, as well as to the build quality.

However, that in no way should impugn the ASL 25. This is a neat little amplifier that is well built, affordably priced, and just happens to sound surprisingly good. The only drawback compared to the Quicksilver is that the version of the AV 25 that this author owns only accepts the 6L6 output tube, while the Quickies will allow you to tube roll at least six other types of tubes.

Moreover, while the ASL AV 25 must be manually biased each time the amps are put back into my system, the Mini Mite mono's are self biasing - a pleasure for sure.

That aside, the AV 25 continues to be a reliable and very good sounding amplifier after 4 years of light use (I have several other amplifiers), and one which I can gladly recommend to any penurious hi-fi enthusiast.

I paid $700 for the pair back in 2006, and that included the small cages as well as shipping from Canada to the United States.

It's nice to be able to afford quality tube gear without having to take out a second mortgage on one's home, and companies like Quicksilver and Antique Sound Labs have made this possible.

Enjoy The Music!

Jimmyblues...

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by craigb a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2008

Bottom Line:
Having been a solid-stater all my life, when the opportunity to pick up a pair of these little guys as demo units came around, I couldn't resist the chance to dip my toe in the tube waters.

These slotted into my system to temporarily replace a 20-year old B&K ST-140. At first I expected a significant drop in apparent power output, but that didn't happen. While the sound quality is very nice - smooth and detailed with a decent soundstage, it wasn't a drastic change from the B&K. Most noticeably the sound gained a bit of bloom, probably from what I'm perceiving as a bump in the upper bass, at least compared to the old amp. This sonic signature works extremely well in the service of classical and sparsely-instrumented jazz. It adds a dimension that seemed to be missing before on all of these recordings, good and bad. It tends to sound a little bit on the boomy side, though, on rock and pop recordings.

All in all, though, for the price, it was definitely worth pursuing, and they piqued my interest in tubes enough for me to try my next experiment - a second-hand PrimaLuna Prologue 2.

Associated equipment -