Anthem Statement A5 Amplifiers

• Input Impedance: 15 kO
  • Power Requirements: 1800 W

Submitted by balloonknot32 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2007

Bottom Line:
Had an Anthem MCA 50 for the past 2 years. It was a great amp. But in the back of my mind, I alwyas heard a voice telling me that I should get a Statement A5. Well that voice spoke up again this past week and I sold my MCA 50 and bought the A5. In a word........AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

First off this amp just looks first class. Love the curved handles and the blue LED's on the front. The back of the amp just screams sheer brawn with those speaker terminals.

Right out of the box the A5 sounds better than the MCA 50. I think this is due to the fuses that are used in the MCA 50. They hold the amp back a bit, compared to the A5 which uses a circuit breaker and just lets everyhing come out. The first improvement I noticed was that dialoge from the centre channel was more detailed. Everything was crisper. When I listened to 2ch (Pink Floyd -Comfortably Numb) I was literally was numb. The music comes out of nowhere. The first few notes just come at you and surround your ears. Very impressive.

The Anthem Statement line of amps is so good, that I feel the need to go get a Statement A2 for my 2ch set up. Mkaes me wonder how good the Statement D2 is?

Well done Anthem. The A5 is my amp for today, tomorrow and the future. 100% recommended.

Purchased At:   Trutone Electronics

Submitted by tngiloy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2006

Bottom Line:
Price is for bothe A5 and A2 amps.I bought these amps to replace an anthem pva-7 because I wanted a little more power. About a year ago I tried replacing the pva-7 with a B&K reference200.7. To be honest, I didn't notice much of a difference between the two. After a couple of weeks the B&K started to make a hissing noise thru one of the channels so I returned it and went back to the Anthem pva-7. A coulple of months ago I decided to try to upgrade again, this time to Bob Carver's Sunfire Cinema Grand signature 400.7. I did notice a marked improvement with this this amp, but unfortunatly the rt. front amp section blew out after 2 weeks and I was having difficulty getting Sunfire to work with my local dealer to replace the unit, and because of my displeasure with the customer service at Sunfire I decided to return the amp and continue my search.
I then decided to look into Anthems other larger amps. The reason I hadn't looked into the more powerful Anthems before was that they didn't have a 200 watt amp in seven channels and I thought because of space restraints in my home theater rack I wouldn't be able to use a 5 and 2 channel amp set-up, but after some re-thinking and shifting things around I figured it was feasible and worth a try, so I ordered the A5 and A2.
When I received them I hooked them up with balanced cables to my Anthem avm30 pre/pro and paradigm signature s4,c3 and adps and fired them up.
At under 200 watts into all channels I was worried I might be disappointed in the A5/2 compared to the Sunfire(which I had really liked). No problem. They were at least as good as the Sunfire IMHO and much better than the B&K.(In fairness I should note that the B&K was hooked up via unbalced rca connections as was the pva-7).
All the clarity, depth and Bang! I had gotten from the Sunfire was there with the Anthems. No step down at all. And surprisingly the Anthems run as cool as the Sunfire, Which is good since I have the A2 in the bottom part of my storage unit behind closed doors.
Now, Anthem suggests that you break in the units before doing any critical listening but they sounded fantastic right out of the box. Of course,if they get better I won't be upset but if they don't get any better I will still be very, very satisfied.
The biggest differences I noticed wirh the A2/5 over the pva-7 and B&K ref 200.7 is the clarity and detail and reality these amps give to both dvd's and cd's.

Purchased At:   Cherry Creek Audio