Anthem PVA 2 Amplifiers

• 2 Pairs Speaker Binding Posts
  • 500 VA maximum power output

Submitted by myron4ski a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2010

Bottom Line:
I purchased one second hand locally, at a very attractive price. I did some research prior to buying it, and all of the published reviews I could find were favorable. A common opinion among those was this amp had a bit of a forward presentation in each of the reviewer's systems. My experience is much the same. It is however not necessarily as bad thing. In fact, in my set up, I liked it. I used it in a second system running digital audio signals from both iTunes (uncompressed files) from my computer, as well as the audio from satellite TV into an MSB Digital Director to de-jitter and re-clock the signal, and then to a TacT RCS 2.0 (by passing the exceptional room correction features as to not alter the sound of the amp) into the PVA 2 and then to an old pair of Energy 5.1e floor standing speakers. All interconnects and speaker cables were Audience Conductors.

With this set up in my room, the presentation was more forward than I am normally used to, but it did not detract in any way. In fact, I liked this for use with TV. Movies, and football especially. (This might be desirable for some.) At the same time, my sound stage was fairly deep, as well as wide. Across the frequency band, I found it to be very linear. Nothing was missing, nor over emphasized. I was surprised by the amp's bass performance, and control.
This is not a top tier high-end amp. But at its original retail price, I think this is a very nice amp, and a great value. Based on what I have seen these sell for used, they are a steal. They are solidly constructed, with nice understated cosmetics. Too bad they are not bridgeable. I would get another and run them as mono's for fun. There is a limitless amount of gear out there re-selling for much more money than the PVA 2, but very little of it can stand with this thing at its current market value. I have committed to sell it to a friend, as I, like many here, continue to buy gear at a pace quicker than I sell. I have other gear at a considerably higher price point I own and feel compelled to use, otherwise I would keep it.

Strengths:
Great detail, and natural sounding amplifier, with very good bass performance. Exceptional at its current value.

Weaknesses:
Not really, at this price.

Submitted by stovie_14472@yahoo.com a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent all-around amplifier. Extremely detailed and natural, especially in the treble range. Good imaging, but lacks the soundstage of more expensive amps.

Purchased At:   Rowe Photo, Video, &