AMC 2100 2-Channel Amplifier Amplifiers

Submitted by MikeD a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2012

Bottom Line:
I am running 2 of these, in bridged mode, in my 2-channel setup and they work very nicely. They are being fed through an AMC CVT-2030 tube pre-amp with sources including a vintage Technics BD-23 turntable with a Shure 1000E cart/N97xE stylus, a Sherwood Newcastle CDC-680T changer, an SAE 2 T-14 tuner and a media PC running Lubuntu for streaming Internet radio, MOG and the in-progress conversion of vinyl and CD sources into FLAC media stored on a NAS. Speakers are currently a set of older Dahlquist (from the Audiosphere days) PDQ-26 towers with a Def Tech PF-1500TL filling in the bottom octaves.

The speakers present a 6 ohm nominal load to the amps and I have had zero issues with the amps overheating or dropping into protection mode even when the system is cranked up to a fairly high SPL even though the manual declares bridged mode output only into 8 ohms. They are cooled passively and have never gotten warm enough for me to be concerned despite living in the "man loft" where hot air goes to die.

They sound quite nice with no bad habits that I can detect that cannot be traced to speaker issues with congestion on complex material at higher volume. At lower listening levels they are simply amplifying the signal presented without adding or subtracting anything. They image nicely (I ran a pair of EPI 100V's that I recently refurbed for my son that sounded amazing - I kinda wish I had given him the Dahlquists and kept them) and always seem in control.

At Ebay prices I think the AMC equipment is a steal - but keep that quiet until I have finished buying more of it.

Premier Mounts: