Alchemist Forseti ADPA MkII Amplifiers

Integrated Amp

Submitted by Dave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
The Forseti (mine is a second hand Mk2) is running through a pair of Castle Severn 2's and sounds fantastic. The bass was a little light for my tastes so I added a REL Q150-e sub which made all the difference.

With the bass taken care of the stunning mid range and soundstaging come through well. Voices sound especially real and the dynamics are something else. The sound is very life-like without being harsh. The Forseti has plenty of power and does not distort at high volumes. While music is not as smooth and seductive as it is amplified by something like a Quad for example, if you like your music with plenty of energy this is a fantastic amplifier. I had read a review in the press that this amp was too smooth - however the Castles can also be a bit harsh with the wrong amp, so the two go together well.

With everything from rock tracks like Bruce Springsteen to opera from Sarah Brightman, this amp can make the eyes widen with the sheer scale and dynamics on offer.

The only critisism I could make is that there is no remote control - though many hold the opinion that remote circuitary has a detrimental effect on sound. Also, with some overly bright recordings, the Forseti can be a bit harsh, though this really is splitting hairs.

The other amps I tried were not as good in terms of sound or build quality, with the exception of the Unison Research which had a smoother, more friendly sound, but that was significantly more expensive. The retail price is around £1200 - and still good value at that. I paid £600 for mine second hand in perfect condition - a real bargain.

Purchased At:   Hifi Studios

Submitted by Peter Theodore a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
The time came to replace my Luxman after 13 years, and Lux were no longer beieng imported into OZ. Oh no, the search went for four-odd months. My limitation was the speakers. I have had Polk reference speakers and they are the best and most accurate speaker I have ever heard. Therefore the amp HAD to match these. I tried Arcam, I found it a little boring, Denon was far too clinical, the new Ishiwata Marantz series were good but I felt like I was staring (hearing) at a black and white stereo image were the Luxman could give me color.
I heard the Forseti for the first time coupled with Sonus Faber Concertos and fell inlove immediately. When I brought it home on the Polks it was great but too bold in the treble. A speaker cable upgrade sorted it all out. I was converted, there was life after Luxman and the Polks will go on for years more..
Compare: Heart will go On by Celine. mixed with 3 singers Celine centre front and left/right slightly back in triangle formation. Last note held through seven echoes.
Anyone heard Mattheus on Duetsch Grammaphone, the one with 2 choirs and the orchestra? Try unmuddling that and positioning that stereo image!! Long live Alchemist, long live Polk!

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Encel Hifi

Submitted by Roberto Almondo Gianni a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 9, 1999

Bottom Line:
The amp I heared is the same but it is a new Remote Controle version ,The Forseti RC at 100W/C , it is really amasing to discover a new product that you never expect that it could sound so good , this amp is a real bargain in every thing , I have heared many amps including the Krell integrated RC , numerous other brands with my freinds , Naim 's , Meridian's , amps which are sometimes 3 times more expensive , the Forseti is simply better than any of them , its look first of all is a delight , a peice of art , it shines with its golden knobs and silver finish , then speaking about sound quality , it is perfect in every thing , the bass is full , tight , controled , the middle is clear , the highs are just right , the detail coming from this amp makes you want to stay and listen more and more,and if you want to stay and listen more , this means , simly ,that you are in front of a GOOD component, and the Forseti RC 100W/C is indeed , A GOOD COMPONENT . I recommend any audiophile to try it , as I think it is a discovery , I am giving it easy 5 stars .

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by ben garland a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 1999

Bottom Line:
the alchemist forseti is quite a integrated amp,while searching for the best intgrated amp for $2000 i audition the naim,audio note,anthem and yes even the plinius(well over the $2000 limit)i then listen to the forseti a amp from england made by tim divarchui,it was incredible while this unit has no remote it is built great and the looks will grow on you.i used magnepans 1.2 for my test speakers it made them so alive all was fine i had power to spare the forseti is rated at 100 wpc,seems much stronger again if you can afford the plinius buy it if not do not waste your time buying anything but a alchemist forseti it is that good

Submitted by Mauri Rintamaki a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 25, 1998

Bottom Line:
Excellent product. Compared it to Classe CAP series, Celeste, Arcam, Acurus etc.It provided the best sound for a combination of jazz, blues, and rock. Sounded the best with a variety of speakers. Drives my Totem or Rogers speakers to the best of their capabilities. Highly recommended.

Wood Technology: