Air Tight ATM-2 Amplifiers

80 wpc stereo amplifier

Submitted by dpod4 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2013

Bottom Line:
I bought the ATM-2 amp and the ATC-2 preamp for a second system (main system is ARC Ref 40 preamp and ARC Ref 2se phono preamp into a Constellation Centaur stereo amp driving Magico speakers). When I listened to these in my main system to see how they sounded, I was blown away. The ATM-2 is exceptionally musical, and beats amps I have had in my system costing 20-30k. One of the few amps (solid state or tube) that can really bring my Magico speakers to life. Vocals and instruments are as natural as I have ever heard them. No electronic sheen or signature....just pure music coming through. Addition of the ATC-2 preamp provided more drive and extension and pace. Air Tight products are also some of the best looking, best built artisan pieces I have ever seen. I could keep these in my main system and be very very happy. They cost a fraction of my reference gear.

Submitted by SoundzGood a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is an extremely well designed and well built amplifier. The tube compliment is VERY important, however. It simply sounds like what you put in it! I have found NOS RCA tubes and the Telsa KT88S (see http://www.rpm.fi/rpm/010-tesla-audio.htm) to form an absolutely killer combination in this unit.

This amp was designed years ago but is still a current product. It is an absolute audio classic. If you can get your hands on one on ebay for what I paid then do it. This is the best electrical component I have ever bought!

Submitted by Jean Carmet a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
Very well built, excellent components (Tamura, Black Gate, NOS tubes), Point to point wiring.

The sound is difficult to describe because of his lack of any sonic signature as often encountered on tubes (or SS) amplifiers.
It is very well balanced from top to bottom of the spectrum; very transparent (using the front input is a must), with bags of details; deep and wide soundstage; very good dynamics (with a preamp) and pace & rythm; tones are second to none; bass are robust and not one note, surprising for a tube amp; medium is perfect, not too euphonic or too lean, very expressive ; treble has lot of colours, not very extended or sparkling but very integrated.

Overall the sound managed to be both smooth and "chiseled" refined and tasty but not nauseous; it is not a jaw dropping amplifier because it is not spectacular at all. You can listen to every types of music, rock or baroque, without any problem or listening fatigue.A match made in heaven for Quad or ProAc speakers (for sample).

Caveats : tube complements are crucial in their choices and power tubes will last only 1000h.The price when bought new.

BLG CP024: