Adcom GFA-5800 Amplifiers

·250 watts continuous average power into 8 ohms at any frequency between 20 Hz and 20kHz with both channels driven at less than 0.18% THD.

Submitted by Chris a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2016

Bottom Line:
This is an amazing amp and is everything Adcom planed and expected of it. At first I was a little disappointed expecting a bit more from it, more meaning clarity and sharpness. The power is there no doubt this amp puts out no complaints there. When I purchased my system I also bought the Adcom preamp and CD player expecting matched perfection. I was quite impressed for the dollars spent especially hearing it all through Dunlavy III speakers. Amazing, even in less than ideal room setup it is so pleasing to listen to, that was until the preamp went south and then the CD player shortly after both only lasting about 4 years. This is when I discovered the adcom preamp wasn't doing the amp justice. Let me explain. I Purchased another Adcom preamp on ebay being true to the brand thinking it was best for the system since all were made to match with one another, not the case. The newly purchased (used) Adcom preamp sounding exactly exactly like the old (which I thought was spectacular) However, the new unit had a glitch in one of the controls no biggie I paid just $110 for it so I went back on ebay but saw no Adcom units but did come across a NAD preamp model number 1130. This is NAD's second from bottom line from what I can tell. It turned out to be the right buy the new found sound coming from the Dunlavys was OMG! The open clarity, sharpness, crispness and depth of bass! WOW! It just opened everything up and plays with so much more power compared to Adcom's preamps. Who-da-thunk such a simple preamp from another manufacturer could be so different? My 5800 amp and Dunlavy speakers found new life just as I did as well when listening to my system. My Adcom amp and Dunlavy IIIs after 22 years still sound amazing. To anyone out there with an Adcom GFE 5800 amp, you must try the NAD preamp, I paid $100 on ebay for mine, what a bargain! What a sound!

Submitted by MrBasund2 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2011

Bottom Line:
When I saw the fan on the back I thought!
Will this be good then!

I connected to the Silencio trio from Basund audio!
BI wire. Adcom 5800 on top. and Basund audio's Potent amp on the bottom.

The sound literally rolled out of the speakers, detail-rich and the pressure.
it played so loud that, the microphone that we measured with turned inside out!
This I had not really imagined!
Now I am looking for a smaller amplifier
The bass did not play so loud (108 dB) so I have to down size on top.

Regards Johnny Borge båsund

Submitted by eikm a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2009

Bottom Line:
This amp can jam! I exploded a drinking glass once. no kidding. Sounds great

Submitted by caesar148 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2007

Bottom Line:
II bought this amp new based on the good reviews from previous Adcom amps and the reputation Adcom had. This amp uses MOSFET drivers which they called HEXFETs, as opposed to bipolar transistor in the majority of other amplifiers. I wanted a tube like sound with the bass control of solid state amplifier and the Adcom GFA-5800 provided the best of both worlds - so I thought.

Well, I was disappointed. The sound was poorly defined with total lack of clarity. I was using the Mission 753 speakers which are not difficult to drive so I can't point the finger on the speaker as a contributing factor. It sounded like I was listening to it behind a thick curtain. No imaging, music sounded dead. I compared it to the Sony TA-N77ES amp and the sound was miles apart. The Sony amp was clear, defined, a little bit harsh but much more involving. The Onkyo M-508 was even better. The bass for well controlled and the mid range has good imaging I used the Adcom amp for two years hoping it would break in with time but it never did improved.

It has been a while since I last heard it but the bad experience remains vividly etched in my mind and I feel compelled to write this review. This product gets a 1 star from me.

Submitted by Ray H a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2005

Bottom Line:
Dunno what all the fuss is about from the naysayers. I've used my 5800 since 1997 without any probs. (Oh, it "bumps" momentarily at turn on - big deal...) It's now 2005. Mine's driving a pair of VMPS Tower IIs. Yes, it would be nice to have the fan-less 5802, but my 5800's fans never intrude - just a soft whisper right at the amp. (Might have something to do with the Tower IIs 92 dB/watt efficiency and an impedence curve that never drops below 4 ohms - I doubt my 5800 has ever shifted out of Class A mode.)

Purchased At:   Good Guys