Adcom GFA-5800 Amplifiers

3.98/5 (65 Reviews) MSRP : $1600.00

·250 watts continuous average power into 8 ohms at any frequency between 20 Hz and 20kHz with both channels driven at less than 0.18% THD.

Submitted by MrBasund2 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2011

Bottom Line:
When I saw the fan on the back I thought!
Will this be good then!

I connected to the Silencio trio from Basund audio!
BI wire. Adcom 5800 on top. and Basund audio's Potent amp on the bottom.

The sound literally rolled out of the speakers, detail-rich and the pressure.
it played so loud that, the microphone that we measured with turned inside out!
This I had not really imagined!
Now I am looking for a smaller amplifier
The bass did not play so loud (108 dB) so I have to down size on top.

Regards Johnny Borge båsund

Submitted by eikm a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2009

Bottom Line:
This amp can jam! I exploded a drinking glass once. no kidding. Sounds great

Submitted by caesar148 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2007

Bottom Line:
II bought this amp new based on the good reviews from previous Adcom amps and the reputation Adcom had. This amp uses MOSFET drivers which they called HEXFETs, as opposed to bipolar transistor in the majority of other amplifiers. I wanted a tube like sound with the bass control of solid state amplifier and the Adcom GFA-5800 provided the best of both worlds - so I thought.

Well, I was disappointed. The sound was poorly defined with total lack of clarity. I was using the Mission 753 speakers which are not difficult to drive so I can't point the finger on the speaker as a contributing factor. It sounded like I was listening to it behind a thick curtain. No imaging, music sounded dead. I compared it to the Sony TA-N77ES amp and the sound was miles apart. The Sony amp was clear, defined, a little bit harsh but much more involving. The Onkyo M-508 was even better. The bass for well controlled and the mid range has good imaging I used the Adcom amp for two years hoping it would break in with time but it never did improved.

It has been a while since I last heard it but the bad experience remains vividly etched in my mind and I feel compelled to write this review. This product gets a 1 star from me.

Submitted by Ray H a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2005

Bottom Line:
Dunno what all the fuss is about from the naysayers. I've used my 5800 since 1997 without any probs. (Oh, it "bumps" momentarily at turn on - big deal...) It's now 2005. Mine's driving a pair of VMPS Tower IIs. Yes, it would be nice to have the fan-less 5802, but my 5800's fans never intrude - just a soft whisper right at the amp. (Might have something to do with the Tower IIs 92 dB/watt efficiency and an impedence curve that never drops below 4 ohms - I doubt my 5800 has ever shifted out of Class A mode.)

Purchased At:   Good Guys

Submitted by The Defiler a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
You either have to love or hate this product. When I first bought this thing I hated it. Using this thing to power full range speakers ,with the exception of Energy and possibly Martin Logan Speakers, can be an exercise in frustration. Highs are as clear as steel and become quite grating and annoying after 5 or ten minutes. However this thing is perfect for use in a biamplified setup with a set of midranges, alone.

After a while I took that system apart and sent the Adcom to my home theater system were it was banished to surround sound duty. Although the Adcom proved to be acceptable in this role the grating highs proved to be quite annoying.

However fate came calling one day when the Adcom was asked to join the parasound in HCA 2200 II in stereo system. At last the Adcom has found its place "under the sun".

Instead of being the unwanted step child ,that was about to be traded for something else, the Adcom and the Parasound operate together to in create "beautiful music. As a stand alone midrange amplifier the Adcom is powerful and detailed. Norah Jones is conveyed in all her detail and grace. It's not just a matter of listening to music I can truly experience it, that's how well the Adcom does it's job as a midrange amp.

Note only is the detail incredible the dynamic power is unreal. Compared to the Citation 7.1 that it replaced the Adcom and the Parasound can produce high volume music with a minimum of fuss or distortion.

Purchased At:   echohifi.com