Adcom GFA-5503 Amplifiers

4.67/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $1300.00

3 channels 200 W x 3 into 8 ohms 350 W x 3 into 4 ohms

Submitted by Chris a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
Let me start by saying that when I came upon this amp, I wasn't looking for one. It was sitting on the shelf in a fellow audiophile's office. He had upgraded to separate music / theater systems in his house and no longer needed it. I asked how much, he told me the price and I figured, for that much, no matter what it sounds like, I can't go wrong.

I took it home and hooked it up to run my mains and center channel. It replaced my favorite main speaker amp up to this point, the NAD 2700THX (still an awesome amp). After turning it on and recalibrating my system, I started hearing more air, a little better detail and best of all, my Energy 5.1e's no longer had the sightly flabby mid-bass that I thought was inherent to their design. The amp, while not night and day better, did sound better on music.

I then worked it out on all my theater demo material. Again, it just punched the crap out of everything I threw at it. It didn't start to sound fatigueing at very high volumes as the NAD did once in a great while.

This is an awesome amp - my first Adcom piece for a diehard lifetime NAD owner. Given it's normal price, you probably couldn't touch anything that sounds this good in this price range.

My system:

Energy e series speakers (5.1e, 3.1e)
NAD T761 (as processor/pre)
NAD 2700THX (now for rears)
NAD 512 CD
Toshiba 2705 DVD
Pioneer 605 LD
Sony T60 DirecTivo
Monster Power Center 3500
Tara Lab's Interconnects
Monster CX12 biwire

Purchased At:   from a very, very ni

Submitted by Ray a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
I got into the home theater thing by bits and pieces. First it was just a DVD movie here and there. Then going from a 27" TV, to a 32" TV, then up to a 61" TV. Prior to DVD, I really didn't like watching TV that much. But I now like watching movies on my home theater system much more than going out to the movies.

I've been a big fan of Adcom power amps since I purchased a GFA-555 way back in 1987. The GFA-5503 was a great idea: three channels at 200 wpc. The sound is lush, detailed, and powerful, with great dynamics.

System Equipment List:

Source Components:

Sony KP-61V85 61" Rear Projection TV
Sony SLV778HF VCR
Panasonic PY-9661 VCR
Sony DVP-S7700 DVD Player

Amplifiers:

Sony TA-E9000 ES Digital Preamp (version 2.01 software)
Adcom GFA-5503 Power Amp for front and center speakers

Polk Audio PSW650 Powered Subwoofer

Interconnects and Speaker Cables:

Monster Z100i interconnects for preamp to power amps
Monster Video 3 component video cable for TV
Monster Lightspeed 200 fiber optic interconnect for DVD Monster Z2 Reference speaker cable for center and front speakers
DSR Silverline interconnects for VCRs
DSR Silverline 8 ga. speaker wire for rear speakers

Purchased At:   Kief's Audio Video

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
Purchased this amp to drive my front speakers and my center channel. Fell in love with this amp right away before it was even broke in. Sound was dynamic, clean and clear, bass was punchy and tight which is what I was looking for in an amp. I am going to give this amp a high rating in both areas because it truly deserves it. Do yourself a favor, if your in the market for an amplifier that will not only sound GREAT for stereo listening but also spectacular for home theater this is the amp for you. Buy one and see for yourself.

Atlantic Technology: