Adcom GFA-5500 Amplifiers

4.25/5 (60 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

·· 200 Watts continuous average power into 8 ohms at any frequency between 20Hz and 20kHz with both channels driven at less than 0.18% THD.

Submitted by Shaftish a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2013

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp new back in 1995 I guess, I realy cant remember exactly.
It have been hooked to a pair of Mirage speakers who is tough to make them "sing"
I tried out a number of amps but all of them were to weak not being able to make the umphf I was looking for. When I tried the Adcom amp I knew I was home, this was it, never ran out of power, to my neighburgs complaint, bas steady as a rock.
If any, there could be a touch of more resolution i in the highend, well well.
My preamp, a Edisone one, tube RIAA and a passive line preamp I used for quite a while.
When playing LP´s it sounded exellent! When playing CD´s it needed something else.
When I stoped buying LP´s I bought a Rotel preamp & a Rotel CD.

I still have it & I wont sell it

Submitted by Bangnovice a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2011

Bottom Line:
I just got older Adcom GFA 5500 amplifier (and switch for shifting sound to other rooms) and Bang and Olufsen active Penta III speakers. What is best way to hook up iPod or iPad to 5500? If I wanted to add other audio inputs or TV sound, what is best solution?

Submitted by t-bones a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2011

Bottom Line:
Price paid: $350 from a friend.

The Adcom 5500 is a fantastic amplifier. I use mine along with a 555 and 5300 for my home theater system. I have done direct listening comparisons between all of the above amps using the same pair of Energy Connoisseur 6 ½ inch 2-way speakers for comparisons. I have noticed the newer Adcom MOSFET amps have a very controlled low end and very smooth highs compared to the older GFA555, which is still a very detailed amplifier. As others have stated the Adcom will bring out all the good and bad of any speaker as I did switch to a less expensive pair of older Pinnacle AC800s while testing the sound of the amps.

I don’t quite understand some of the reviews of the 5500 being dead, fatiguing, or even one review stating it’s not powerful enough! Can’t help but think the reviewers may have been using lower quality speakers, poor program sources, or may be hard of hearing. The friend I purchased mine from upgraded to all McIntosh equipment. He used to design amplifiers for phase Linear for a living and custom modified my GFA5300 to be bridgeable (see my review on that in the GFA5300 reviews). He stated that his $5000 McIntosh does sound a touch smoother, but has the same or less output power and is also rated at 200 watts per channel.

There are better amplifiers out there, but you will pay 5 times the price for 5 percent better sound. The Adcom is built like a tank, runs hot even at idle, and is not energy star compliant by any means! But it sounds smooth and refined, has more than enough power for any home environment, and at $500 or less on ebay, is an audio bargain.

Submitted by Mordant Short a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2007

Bottom Line:
The Adcom GFA 5500 is a great amp. Too bad Adcom is no longer making power amplifiers. I wanted to purchase the GFA 5802, but their were none to be found brand new at the time I wanted to purchase an amplifier. Discontinued items suck. Adcom definetly needs to manufacture more power amplifiers like they have in the past. I hate 3 to 7 channel amplifiers for audio, they're okay for surround sound but not for audio reproduction. I haven't been disapointed by purchasing this amplifier, it produces clean sharp bass. Tight bass. Real tight bass. If you're the type of person who likes muddy bass, this amp is NOT for you!!! The distortion LEDs work! They let you know when the source music is crappy or there's just too much umph from the source calling for bass. This amp definetly rocks! I've got a fan installed on the back of the enclosure I placed the amp in because of my old Yamaha M-80 power amplifier. Even with the fan the Yamaha got hot, the Adcom stays cool with the fan going, it's awesome and I'm driving this amplifier @ 2 Ohms driving 2 Cerwin-Vega DX-9s per channel, this baby cranks!!!

Purchased At:   OneCall

Submitted by Renegade5 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2006

Bottom Line:
The ADCOM GAF-5500 has been a welcome addition to my audio system for over a month now. I find it absolutely superb. I was a little reluctant to purchasing this unit because of some of the reviews that was posted on this site, but after listening to it in my system I have no regrets. The entire musical range is very detailed at any listing level. I am particularly impressed by listening at high sound levels for extended periods without fatigue. I have no idea what another reviewer meant by saying that it got dull and tiring. I have several pairs of speakers including, Infinity Kappa 6, Infinity RS-6b, Rectilinear III, and a pair of speaker that I built myself. This amp has no problem driving any of them. Since it has so much clean power, ear shattering volumes can be obtained in my rather large family room without any clipping. This is a truly impressive amp for the money. Certainly, there are many amplifiers on the market that sound better if you are willing to pay considerably more. Overall, the ADCOM GAF-5500 is an excellent sounding amplifier and is hard to beat in its price range. I am really puzzled by the widely contrasting reviews. I guess with this amp, you either love it or hate it. I would strongly recommend this amp to anyone that is interested in purchasing an amplifier in this price range.

Premier Mounts: