Adcom GFA-5400 Amplifiers

4.15/5 (33 Reviews) MSRP : $680.00

125 watts continuous average power into 8 ohms: 20Hz and 20kHz with both channels driven at less than 0.18% THD

Submitted by Mike Reilly a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2014

Bottom Line:
Drove a pair of martin logan aierius electrostatics for over 15 years....what more can i say

Submitted by Jim boyle a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2011

Bottom Line:
The gfa 5400 is by no means outdated! Older model is more appropriate. It is one of the few amps in today's wattage game that bests it's claimed specs in every way. It is rated at all ch driven from 20 to20 (not at 20k w one ch driven) and rated at .05% distortion ( not 1%) and will drive 4ohm loads all day long. These amps are realistically putting out 140-145 wpc kind of like the rotel rb1080 rated at 200wpc but was bench tested at 235wpc. These amps will satisfy all but the most finicky loudspkrs,very controlled mid bass and bass but can be a little loose and unforgiving On top buy only at high volumes. Overall excellent performance

Submitted by edlchiang62 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2006

Bottom Line:
This Adcom 5400 amp that I purchased is a wonderful amp at a great price. It sounds great with my system. The amp neither sounds too bright nor too warm. The amp sounds just right to me. I don't know how well the amp is able to drive difficult speakers since my Paradigm Signaure S2 speakers have good sensitivity and they do not have a very low impedance from 20 HZ to 20K HZ.

I like the fact that it has distortion and thermal protection lights, but they are probably just "bells and whistles" and not that useful since I can't imagine actually driving my efficient speakers with that much power to trigger those lights. I only play my music to moderately loud levels.

This amp is an older model (i.e. first sold in 1996), but since SS amp technology has not really changed much that is o.k. with me. In fact that is good for me since hopefully it should be reliable. The only problem is that it is not the most up-to-date amp in that it does not have all the modern features such as a 12-Volt trigger, signal sensing turn-on technology, etc, but since I hook it up to my Adcom ACE-615 surge protector and use the surge protector to turn on all my components those features are not necessary for me.

In summary this amp is a wonderful unit that give you a taste of hifi without having you mortgage your house

Purchased At:   One Call

Submitted by a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
I just wanted to say that this amp is absolutely stunning. I've never heard a solid state amp sound this good. This thing sounds even better then my "now sold" Jolida intergrated tube amp. I don't consider myself an audiophile by any means, due to the fact that I simply can't afford $20,000 speakers, amps and other audio toys. But, I do know good sound when I hear it. I have a very small, inexspensive system. Acoustic Research Hi-Res AR9 loudspeakers, Yamaha HTR 5250 a/v receiver, Pioneer DV-563A DVD/SACD player, Monstercable HTS 2500 MKII powercenter, dirt old Teac Hi-Fi stereo VCR ( which never gets used anymore ) and an old 27" Emerson T.V. My cabling, including the speaker cable are all Stout's. Nothing top dollar here at all. But, if this amp brings the slightest hint of audiophile sound to my system, I will be a devoted Adcom fan for life. It did! I would just like to point out that despite what other reviewers of this and other Adcom amps had to say, there is absolutely no shrilly, grainy highs at all and no "invisible veil" over the midrange. Fatigue.... What's that? If anything, I find myself staying up later listening and enjoying the music that this little jem is producing. The sound is sweet from top to bottom. My speakers use titanium tweeters which are known to be quite harsh at times. I found that out with my old Mac MC2100 amp. Now, I've finally found an amp that tames them quite well. The midrange is very open yet completely smooth. The bass is extremely tight and deep. Sounstaging seemed to always be a problem with my AR's. Not anymore! :-) This amp has cured just about every little problem that I've ever run into with my speakers and other amps, including a tube amp. Adcom has brought the warmth and sweetness of a tube amp and intergrated it with the power and authority of a solid state amp to produce one heck of a power amp. Even the rated power of 125 watts per channel seems to be under rated. I've heard 200 watt per channel amps that don't even come close to comparing to the power and musicality of this amp. Bottom line is, if you are looking for a straight forward, well built, excellent sounding power amp, try Adcom. And did I mention affordable.... I've finally found an amp that I want to keep. And to all of the other reviewers that aren't particularly fond of this amp, and or Adcom amps in general, need to rethink there loudspeaker positioning. Proper speaker placement is a must, not cramming them up against walls and usage of cheap lamp cord for their cabling is highly unacceptable.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Wayne Kyle a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
This amp has plenty of power and for the most part delivers good sound at all levels. It can be bright and also very deep. Sometimes I feel there is a haze over sound, and voice are grainy. It runs hot, but is a trooper. Overall, a good amp for those considering separates. Good sound, but I often have felt the sound from my Adcom 2535 was more open and clearer, although lacking the tight base of the 5400.

Purchased At:   Ovation Audio/Video