Adcom GFA-535MKII Amplifiers

4.32/5 (31 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

60 watt, high current amplifier

Submitted by figaro a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2012

Bottom Line:
Just bought this 535II on Ebay to use as a temporary amp until I can replace a Denon that died of old age. This amp was a surprise considering it cost very little. This is a serious dual mono amp that produces remarkable clarity and sound stage for it's size. I can now take my time finding a replacement for the Denon. I can listen to this Adcom without any major complaints. This amp is an incredible value.

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2009

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Adcom GFA-355 mk2 on craigslist for $ 70. I did not hear it upon purchase and I
was furious when I arrived home to realize that it was blown. I took it to an audio tech shop and
he said he could fix it if I went for lunch somewhere ( about 2 hours ). It cost me $110. I got home
and connected it to a pair of old Bose 301, I could not beleive how GREAT it sounded. What a little
MONSTER amp.

Submitted by jeffspeak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2009

Bottom Line:
This little amp saved me. Bought new speakers and old classic Parasound died on me. HELP! Need something cheap and listenable. Adding Adcom to my tube preamp I got 80 to 90% of my high-end sound back. At moderate listening levels almost no difference. Parasound was twice as powerful. Only $100 on ebay, are you kidding me? A steal for $$. Match with modest (used) tube pre-amp and your set

Submitted by jikester a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2008

Bottom Line:
The Adcom GFA-535 (and its successor, the GFA-535 Mk II) is truly one of those rare, amazing values in audio. I’ve used it to drive my Acoustat 1100, Magneplanar 2.6, NHT 3.3, B&W 801 Matrix II, and Martin Logan Sequel II loudspeakers and not once has it disappointed me or left me wanting. It may not have the power of my Krells or Aragon amps, but it can stand with them on clarity, timbre and presentation. It’s uncoloured without being cold or sterile; transparent while avoiding transistor shrill; and it is revealing enough to reveal very subtle differences in recordings as well as cable and equipment combinations.

One thing I’ve found is that like other good equipment, it is sensitive to cabling, interconnects and warm-up. Some of those who haven’t been pleased with it, I can only imagine that they either have a bad combination or maybe it’s a defective unit. Of the half dozen 535 amps I’ve used, one did fall into the latter category.

Loudspeakers: Martin Logan Sequel II, NHT 3.3, B&W 801 Matrix II
Source: Krell Digital, Adcom
Preamp: Audio Research, Adcom, Mark Levinson
Cables: AudioQuest, Monster Cable, KimberKable

Purchased At:   eBay, others

Submitted by Tony Patterson a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2006

Bottom Line:
Very impressed with the GFA 535 II. Very powerful. Delivers extremely clean sound reproduction. The bass is tight, the mids and treble are crystal clear. Plenty of power on reserve. You probably won't need it. I'm using an Adcom 506 Pre Amp Tuner, with a new Denon CD DVD player. The speakers are B&W bookcase.
I love it.