Acurus DIA-150 Amplifiers

4.4/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $1500.00

High-current, 150W/ch, remote control, no pre-amp required

Submitted by nick fournier a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2004

Bottom Line:
i replaced my rotel ra-971mk11 6 months
ago for the acurus dia-150.
the model i purchased was one of the last ones produced by mondial designs in
2001.
right off the bat this integrated has guts..lots of it,thanks to its 150watts
per channel under 8ohms!
its a smooth operator tough!its solid on
all the frequency range without been too
aggressive sounding,this amp has lots of
airyness for an SS integrated.
one thing everyone should think about doing with this amp if they own one is too upgrade the power cord,i switched the
factory supplied cord for a xindak fp-1
power cord and voila! the soundstage
opened up way more,lows were deeper and
slammed with authority..this is a must!
i am driving a pair of monitor audio silver 10's with this amp,even with my transport been fed to a muse model 2+DAC
wich has a very low output of 1 microvolt,i do not need a third of the amps output to easyly drive my speakers!
this integrated is a bargain in the audio
industry,definetly if you can aqcuire one
used unit wich go between 600$ to 750$ u.s on audiogon.

Purchased At:   from an audiogon mem

Submitted by evcommish a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
Wow! talk about an improvement to my audio set-up. I could not believe my ears when I first heard the Acurus DIA-150. I was not sure if I was hearing the door bell ring or the phone...or was it the tv in the other room. There were so many different sounds coming from my old CD's that it left me to wonder why I hadn't purchased this amp sooner. I was totally enlighted by the music from this integrated amp. This Acurus angle will live with my system for a long time.

Purchased At:   audiogon

Submitted by Chris Younkman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
The DIA-150 is a simple, elegant concept that is executed to a level that belies its affordable price. It is an efficient, high-current amp that includes a passive volume control and source switching.

I acquired mine as a demo from my local dealer (for ca$1750) after it compared favorably with the Musical Fidelity A3 and A300 integrated, which I was considering. At the time, I was powering PSB Stratus Minis with a Bryston 2B. The difference was astounding; although it's not that remarkable considering the power difference and the inefficient load presented by the Minis. They need a good deal of juice to really perform. (See my review)

Since then, I have spent 8 months with the large and current-hungry Apogee Centaur Majors. The Acurus powered them without any problem, and handled itself with aplomb even at uncomfortable listening levels.

The Apogees were borrowed from a friend. When he needed them back, I brought home what must be the most incredible bookshelf speaker out there: the Reference 3A MM De Capo. (See my review) Thankfully, I got the last of the old ones, with the beautiful black gloss finish. (Take a look at the new ones and you'll see why). These speakers are very efficient (92 db) compared to the others I've been using, but definitely take advantage of the power offered by the Acurus. Bass heft and definition is incredible.

The De Capos are extremely musical, but still very revealing. I am still trying to figure out of they need more refined amplification than the DIA; I may audition the CJ CAV-50. The DIA is definitely open and transparent, but it may be a little on the cool side harmonically. Hence the tubes.

The DIA-150 is an excellent amp, though. Because of the simple design, it has a clarity that most integrated amps can't match. Its impressive power reserves make it a good choice for genuinely difficult loads like the Apogees (Apogee and Acurus demonstrated together at a number of shows, specifically with this amp), while it is delicate enough to avoid embarrassment driving a top-flight monitor like the De Capos.

Like any amplifier, AC makes a big difference. For some time, I ran the DIA straight from the wall with the included ac cable. Don’t do it. Its true colors were not revealed until I made two changes: 1) bass definition and harmonic integrity increased remarkably when I added a Van den Hul Mainsstream power cable. 2) The noise floor and clarity improved remarkably when I plugged it into an APC Smart-UPS1000. This is an uninterruptible power supply designed for network servers that uses a sinewave generator. Highly recommended. It generates 700 watts max; I confirmed with the folks at Acurus (now owned by Klipsch) that the DIA pulls 500 watts max. Do not spend the money on a PS Audio unit until you try this thing.

The DIA is an excellent package, and offers real power and refinement at an affordable price. In the sincerest form of flattery, a start-up audio company is now making a much-publicized unit which is essentially the same design. Given the demise of the Acurus brand, I can see why.

Value: 5
Overall: 4

System:
Micromega Stage 6 (Musical Fidelity NuVista interconnect)
VPI HW-19 Jr, Musical Fidelity X-LPS (Van den Hul D102 mkIII)
Acurus DIA-150
Reference 3A MM De Capo monitors on Lovan Reference 24" stands (Van den Hul D-352 Hybrid)
Van den Hul Mainsstream power cables, APC Smart-UPS 1000VA w/ sinewave generator
Monitor Audio ASW 100 subwoofer (movies only!)

Future upgrades:
Conrad Johnson CAV-50 (?)
Musical Fidelity A3-24 Upsampling DAC
bi-wire run of VdH D-352 Hybrid
Reference 3A subwoofers (to be released 2003)

Purchased At:   Audio Excellence, To

Submitted by Myrt a

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
Tough and tight with my Martin Logan Scenarios.

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I received a DIA 150 this week at an amazing price. I am most impressed! It is lovely to look at and a perfect match to my NAD c540.

It has more power than my B&W CDM 7 se's need. This thing really is a strong amp. The bass is fast and exceptionally clear. The amp is neutral - with little coloring of the sound. I wouldn't call it bright in the least, just accurate and different than some of the English integrateds that I've heard that have warmth as their strongsuit.

It seems to work well with my varying musical tastes. Classical is lovely - the clarity of strings is astounding. I have never heard voilin sound better. Though my speakers clearly are not the best for good ol rock and roll, there is a vast improvement here with the Acurus. It is great with jazz.

All in all a beautiful, rock-solid, great sounding product. FAR better sounding than the Bryston B-60. It's worth the money.

SFLAT: