Acurus A250 Amplifiers

4.33/5 (42 Reviews) MSRP : $995.00

250 watts per channel continuous, both channels driven into 8 Ohms 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz at no more than 0.06% THD

Submitted by Miles Morris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2014

Bottom Line:
Same old same old....I'm with the folks here who have actually Listened to this Amplifier before AND after it has been well broken in and not someone who just likes to see their printed words saying how clever they are for buying something else after only a brief encounter or actually just repeating something else they have read somewhere and never given something a fair chance. Bought my A-250 in the early 1990s and matched it up with an Adcom GFP 564 preamp various HK and Elite CD, cassette decks, Project Turntable MIT connections and a pair of NEAR 50-ME speakers...still listen to it at least once a week and it is still sounding better than ever! When I first got the amp I had read about the harshness issue before hand but like everything else in my life at least I was willing to get some experience with the thing first because to me that is the true test of ANYTHING....giving up on anything too quickly just leads to never being satisfied and always mucking about unfullfilled in my eyes anyway. I started off my Audio journey in the 1970s with a Marantz 1060 amp Pioneer turntable and Larger Advent speakers and went through several componants over the years mostly just to increase the power involved and keep up with better sound quality. The system I had before the one I have now had Bryston 3B for power, a AGI pre-amp, Denon turntable JVC casssette deck and JBL L100 speakers Soundcraftman Equalizer Yamaha tuner...which was stolen from my apartment...which REALLY pissed me off! So I'm sticking with what has been good for me for over 20 years and have so far resisted the temptation to constantly "upgrade"...damn hard but true. The only thing I have added is a Velodyn sub and have replaced the Tweeters in the Nears....which were made just down the road from where I live. So the Acurus is still keeping me enjoying music because it just sounds really good and has plenty of power what I need...just my version from real life use boys and girls...

Submitted by Murray A. Rubinstein a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2013

Bottom Line:
The Acurus 250 is a true gem--and a price line miracle I has power, grace and with the proper speakers-my old baby MagnepanMGA--now MMG it sang.It is paired the B&K Pro MC10 Sonata preamp (now a classic)

With my new NHT Classic 3 with NHT B10 subwoofer it also sounds goup on my NAD CD player ir my MIcromega DAC ( with a SONY multi disc player with Optical cable(Audioquest Cinnamon ). or through my Project III turntable it sounds quite spectcular. Lots of fun and I did not pay $60,000.f00or theprivilege as one must to does to buy the new Don D' Agostino new monoblock Ppower amplfiers (review in the latest issue of TAS. Budget

Submitted by karister99 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2011

Bottom Line:
The Acurus A250 is one of the most powerful amps in their line and this is a great all-around sounding unit. I like the fact it has plenty of power to push most hard to drive speakers with ease. Once you've matched the unit with high quality equipment one can hear all the little details from the speakers. This unit is a well built with very clean plain and simple model with great very detailed broad sound-stage to it. This is a very musical and robust power amplifier can have a major improvement in any system with appropriate matching equipment and no worries driving speakers like Thiel's, Hale's, Vandersteen's. Don't find them much in the used market due to owners tend to keep them long, if you find one highly recommend, as you'll like what this powerful amp has to offer.

Submitted by CCC a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought this piece from a dealer that had it burried in their stock room, new old stock for $400.00. Hooked it up to a pair Usher loudspeakers. A/B it to my McIntosh amp with HiVi speakers, the unit sounds neutral, clear and accurate. Most problems of harshness or brightness is most likely caused by having inferior speakers, preamps or other source components. Great sounding, great buy for an amp, if you can find one.

Strengths: Great neutral, clean amp, built to last amp for a great price.

Weaknesses: Must be matched to other high quality componests to get best sound quality.

Other componets:

McIntosh MC2120 Amp Pioneer PD65 Reference CD player
McIntosh MR7082 Signature Audio Srd23 Tube CD player
Acurus A250 Amp Luxman D105U Tube CD player
B&K PT3 Preamp Nakamichi CD2 & CD4 CD players
Hivi, Vifa, JBL and Usher monitor speakers.

Submitted by PerryC a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2011

Bottom Line:
I totally agree with you automaticmojo. It's as simple as garbage in, garbage out. You have to sit down and listen. Not for one minute. Try hours of listening and let your ears adjust to the sound. Tha's what I did. First I thought it was bright. Well it was not. It sounded way better that my modified Dynaco ST70/VTA amp. I'm talking wider sound stage, transparency, reat imaging and presence, very dymamic. right amount of bass, and great with vocals. I listen to classic and modern jazz, classical, motown, and the more I listen, the more I get into the music. I can listen for hours with no fatigue.
Forget about the reviews. Audio is all about matching. Expensive does not mean it will give you the best sound, you are wrong brother. I got mine for $400 and I can say it's a great score.

Set up: