Acurus A250 Amplifiers

4.32/5 (44 Reviews) MSRP : $995.00

250 watts per channel continuous, both channels driven into 8 Ohms 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz at no more than 0.06% THD

Submitted by leodoc a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2015

Bottom Line:
I agree with the bulk of the reviewers. Acurus a250 mated with Counterpoint 3.1, and with Thiel 3.5 speakers are musical, smooth, and very true in tone and presentation. Thiels are well known to require a certain quality to drive them to get the best out of them.

The Acurus mated with the tube pre-amp from counterpoint created a richness than was difficult to match from most all of the compeition. I had a friend that owned a high quality stereo store back in the 90's and 2000's.

I used to take the counterpoint and Acurus up to have him audition the pair with different speakers and against new equipment as it rolled in the door. That combo put all but the $20,000 systmes to shame. In my theater room, I ran a Proceed AVP with ADP and a Carver AV806x. The Proceed was likewise an excellent mate with the Acurus, but I think the tubes played off of the Acurus the best.

Submitted by BradleyP a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2015

Bottom Line:
It's all been said in the reviews in this forum. The Acurus A250 is a fine amp, especially for the money. I bought mine new in 1993, along with the matching L10 preamp. I mate the combo with a very revealing pair of Martin Logan hybrid electrostatics (completely passive) and get crazy smoothness, detail, depth, width, and control. I once heard a similarly powered Aragon amp, which had even more bass depth and control, so that's why I give the amp four stars instead of five. After owning the amp for 20 years and running it through the same power conditioner the whole time, I finally got a wild hair and wondered what it would sound like plugged directly into the wall. Well, I did that, and then my wife and I laughed out loud. The transparency increased by a whole lot. It wasn't subtle. Then I almost cried knowing that I spent 20 years with sound that was not as good as it could have been. Anyway, it's like I have a whole new amp!

Submitted by Miles Morris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2014

Bottom Line:
Same old same old....I'm with the folks here who have actually Listened to this Amplifier before AND after it has been well broken in and not someone who just likes to see their printed words saying how clever they are for buying something else after only a brief encounter or actually just repeating something else they have read somewhere and never given something a fair chance. Bought my A-250 in the early 1990s and matched it up with an Adcom GFP 564 preamp various HK and Elite CD, cassette decks, Project Turntable MIT connections and a pair of NEAR 50-ME speakers...still listen to it at least once a week and it is still sounding better than ever! When I first got the amp I had read about the harshness issue before hand but like everything else in my life at least I was willing to get some experience with the thing first because to me that is the true test of ANYTHING....giving up on anything too quickly just leads to never being satisfied and always mucking about unfullfilled in my eyes anyway. I started off my Audio journey in the 1970s with a Marantz 1060 amp Pioneer turntable and Larger Advent speakers and went through several componants over the years mostly just to increase the power involved and keep up with better sound quality. The system I had before the one I have now had Bryston 3B for power, a AGI pre-amp, Denon turntable JVC casssette deck and JBL L100 speakers Soundcraftman Equalizer Yamaha tuner...which was stolen from my apartment...which REALLY pissed me off! So I'm sticking with what has been good for me for over 20 years and have so far resisted the temptation to constantly "upgrade"...damn hard but true. The only thing I have added is a Velodyn sub and have replaced the Tweeters in the Nears....which were made just down the road from where I live. So the Acurus is still keeping me enjoying music because it just sounds really good and has plenty of power what I need...just my version from real life use boys and girls...

Submitted by Murray A. Rubinstein a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2013

Bottom Line:
The Acurus 250 is a true gem--and a price line miracle I has power, grace and with the proper speakers-my old baby MagnepanMGA--now MMG it sang.It is paired the B&K Pro MC10 Sonata preamp (now a classic)

With my new NHT Classic 3 with NHT B10 subwoofer it also sounds goup on my NAD CD player ir my MIcromega DAC ( with a SONY multi disc player with Optical cable(Audioquest Cinnamon ). or through my Project III turntable it sounds quite spectcular. Lots of fun and I did not pay $60,000.f00or theprivilege as one must to does to buy the new Don D' Agostino new monoblock Ppower amplfiers (review in the latest issue of TAS. Budget

Submitted by karister99 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2011

Bottom Line:
The Acurus A250 is one of the most powerful amps in their line and this is a great all-around sounding unit. I like the fact it has plenty of power to push most hard to drive speakers with ease. Once you've matched the unit with high quality equipment one can hear all the little details from the speakers. This unit is a well built with very clean plain and simple model with great very detailed broad sound-stage to it. This is a very musical and robust power amplifier can have a major improvement in any system with appropriate matching equipment and no worries driving speakers like Thiel's, Hale's, Vandersteen's. Don't find them much in the used market due to owners tend to keep them long, if you find one highly recommend, as you'll like what this powerful amp has to offer.

VTI: