Acurus A200
Description: 200 watts per channel continuous, both channels driven into 8 Ohms, 300 watts per channel continuous, both channels driven into 4 ohms

Submitted by Brandon25373 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2013

Bottom Line:
I took advantage of a used version of this amp that I was able to trade my Adcom for. I was happy the second I hit play and hadn't even made it over to the sweet spot for critical judgement. I used this amp with Monitor Audio RS6's and a B&K PT3 Preamp.

Pros: Large capacitors and and a massive transformer provide excessive headroom and reserve for speakers as sensitive as mine. This amp had a very warm, almost tube-like sound quality. The sound stage was very transparent and the imaging was precise.

Cons: Noticable hum when sitting idle, but that's likely due to the fact that it's nearly 20 years old. The ground on this amp bleeds into the interconnects and will BUZZ if you're not using a grounded preamp. Isolating the ground loop with a piece of wire going from the amp chassis to the preamp chassis solved the issue immediatly.

In a nutshell: These amps are selling on Ebay and other places for around the $400-$500 price. I believe this amp is a STEAL at that price. You will not be disappointed!

Submitted by RadialElite a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have two a200 running my PSB Stratus Goldi's bi-amped and use an a200x5 for the surrounds and center.

The a200 is a tank! I can describe it better than that. When the amps are asked to deliver they wake up and make the music sound full and rich.

The only moving parts are the power switch and the binding posts so it is as quiet as can be.

The toroidal transformer is massive enough that might seem silly to have one for each (get a monobloc if that is what you want),

The capacitor is almost the size of a coffee can and it always has reserves. I have had the levels at full volume when the power went out and the a200 will continue to play for at least 5 seconds!

I love them!

Submitted by timrhube a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've owned this amp for about a year now and it has performed flawlessly. It is the coolest running amp i've had in my system, no matter how long it stays on or how hard it's pushed. The only way to describe the sound is nuetral, nothing accentuated that shouldn't be. It also is extremely quiet when idling, not so with the Rotel amps (RB-981s)I used before the Acurus. The build quality is superb, this amp looks like it'll run forever. Too bad it is no longer in production. For the price this amp is unbeatable.

Submitted by kevin5brown a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
Very nice two channel amp. I'm using it with an Acurus A200x5 for a 7.1 system.

There's not much else I can say! It does the job in a very understated way. Always have enough power, never runs hot, doesn't add anything to the sound, very well built, I expect to have it in my system for a long time.

Purchased At:   HTF

Submitted by Cory a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
First, I am sorry to learn that Acurus is now defunct. Klipsch bought Mondial(Aragon/Acurus) and dropped Acurus to concentrate on Aragon. I hope that they don't ruin the company. I have two A200s used as monoblocks. They are smooth, detailed, neutral and image well. Bass is well defined and controlled. Mids are reproduced correctly without overweigting them. Highs are nicely extended without becoming "silvery". I strongly reccomend their products, they are bargains and mine were NIB, probably a few still left out there.

Purchased At:   returnbuy.com