Accusonic MB400
Description: (See reviews)

Submitted by wineau a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
Excellent sounding amps in a somewhat cheesy home theater get-up.

Purchased At:   Online

Submitted by Geoff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was reading the latest "The Absolute Sound" and these little monoblocks were given a Golden Ear Award by Anna Logg. I read the article and thought, "for $740 bucks apiece, I'll get a couple and play around (don't laugh-you've all done it too)". Well they weren't $740 apiece, THEY LIST FOR $740 a PAIR!!!!!! New company trying to penetrate a pretty tough market I guess??? Read on.

First, Peter at Acoustical Concepts was wonderful (they aren't a mail order company per se', but they took my order nonetheless) and he was very complimentary of these amps without much prompting. These guys are very nice and I will do business with them again.

Second, the hookup. Nothing to it if you are reading this board, you can hook these simple amps up blindfolded. Each amp is the size of 2 cartons of cigarettes (not that I would know) and weigh about 10 pounds each. AT this price please tell me you aren't expecting balanced inputs....gold plated RCA's are provided and 5 way binders. Very solid, utilitarian (they do have a red and green light on the front for those who must have constant feedback).

Third, the sound. Right out of the box they are quite neutral throughout the ranges with plenty of headroom and no lack of low and mid-range crispness (and bloom and soundstaging YADAYADA. I don't know what kind of break in is required as I have only had them a week. But during that time, OH MY! They continue to smooth out and are really clean. I'm not trying to over rate these, but I'm not BSing when I tell you I would be a satisfied customer if I had paid $2,000 for the pair! Certainly worth EVERY penny paid.

Associated equipment:
Adcom GFP-750 pre
Accusonic MB400 monoblocks (130w each, bridgeable 460w/pr)
(other amp is/was Rotel RMB 1075, fate unknown)
Cal Audio CL15
B&W Nautilus 805's
(Paradigm Reference 60's also evaluated from my home theater setup)

Bettercables.com Bi-wire
Bettercables.com silver serpent interconnects

The performance of these Accusonic MB400's has totally impressed me. They already provide a more realistic, deep soundstage and perform much better than my current Rotel amplifier. I listen to Jazz, some R&B/pop and vocals. Dianna Krall should be heard through these. I'm a true believer and I hate like hell to agree with Anna Logg and say these amps are terrific. Factor in that they are $740 a pair and I feel like a thief! I highly recommend those of you who love music, but have chosen not to live in a trailer so you can afford to buy the to of the line Levinson du jour, to buy a pair of these and prepare to giggle between tracks.

If only they had balanced outs for $20 more.......(hahahaha)

I expect their next models to add features and fluff, who knows.

Purchased At:   www.acousticalconcepts.com

Submitted by Mike Gleason a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 14, 1997

Bottom Line:
I found the Accusonic Monoblock MB 400 to achieve a high level of performance in a five channel home theater environment . My system is modest including a processor and DVD player . The MB 400 provided accurate accoustic imaging with full dynamic range . The MB 400 is rated at 130 watts with .08 THD @ 4 - 8 ohms THD . The unit's build standards are excellent and are to industrial standards not your run of the mill consumer standards . A friend of mine , John Gerjovich ( johng0477@icdc.com ) is the East coast sales manger for the line and can answer any questions .