Accuphase A-50V
Description: 50W x 2 into 8 ohms 100W x 2 into 4 ohms 200W x 2 into 2 ohms

Submitted by Ian a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
My introduction to Accuphase was via the brilliant C290V preamp(see separate review)which had only just been released when I auditioned it. The A50 V had similarly just been released at the time following some modification to the excellent A50. Even larger capacitors and the gain controls on the front panel of the A50 were removed for an even cleaner look.

The Amp acually delivers far in excess of the rated 50 watts class A into 8 ohms - I believe around 180 but by this stage it is well and truly running A/B.

I run Sonus Fabre Guarneri's, which offer a relatively benign load. The A50 V is in my mind a perfect match. Emminently musical the overall presentation with the A50V/C290V combination is so natural that you forget about the electronics. An extremely satisfying experience. Beautiful timbre to the instruments, the delicate portrayal of harmonic structures in all acoustic instruments is incredible, tight and satisfying bass(if not truly extended of course with the Guarneri)and an excellent sound stage but it is the overall musicality with great rhythm and timing that comes through.

I do not know how the A50V handles more demanding loads and I have never seen anything past 30 W on the meters(turned off after a couple of hours - too irritating and distracting for me)at levels as high as I would ever want to listen to.

In Vietnam prices are well below US retail and while I can see how some may wonder why anyone would spend this much on a 50 Watts/Channel Mosfet amp, you've just got to listen to it to understand.

I've never had any problems - just switch it on, wait a few seconds and then listen to music.

As per my comments on the C290V, this Japanese High end gear will make you re assess any hesitation you may have had about Japanese High End. This gear is made my craftsmen who love and appreciate music.

Purchased At:   Vietnam