Yamaha RX396 A/V Receivers

4.75/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $249.00

Yamaha Stereo Receiver - RX396/ 50 Watts Per Channel/ AM-FM Tuner/ 5 Audio Inputs/ Remote

Submitted by PaleAlejandro a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
I actually got this receiver on Christmas day 1997 from my brother along with a set of 4 Paradigm bookshelf speakers. 13 years later, it has broken in quite nicely, and sounds better now than when I first hooked it up. It compliments my 5-disc Yamaha cd player quite nicely too, requiring only one controller. For the money spent and the amount of use I got out of it, it was worth every penny my bro spent on it. Although it spent most of its time in small rooms, it made the transition to the living room just fine, putting out great sound from every corner of the room. I recently bought a 1979 B&O turntable, and the vinyl comes through flawlessly - very rich and warm tones. Well defined bass, great simple equipment, hope I get another 13 years out of it!

Submitted by Asellus a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2005

Bottom Line:
Started looking for a budget, 2 channel receiver to listen to CDs and the radio in my bedroom, to replace a stolen Sony Micro system. I did not want to repeat the same mistakes I made with purchasing the micro system, I was never happy with the sound, despite the relatively high price of such products.

I narrowed my choice down to the Denon DRA 455, Nad 720 BEE.
THe Denon, sounded somehow strained and dry, and priced at full retail at $699 NZD didn't have a "must have" sound. THe NAD was ruled out very early, being a bit on the pricey side for a bedroom system. I didn't like the bulkyness of the unit, and it didn't have a Phono input meaning more expense (and clutter) involved in purchasing a seperate amplifier.

Having seen the Yamaha receiver on special at half price, reduced from $599 to $299, the question had to be asked, how worse can this product be than the Denon, being half the price?

I did not expect much from this receiver, however, from the first few bars of the demo disc, I was immediately impressed!
The sound, to use the cliche is very "clear", bass is subtle and tight, there is plenty of detail in the treble and the receiver in general has a very musical, youthful energy I like.

Upon getting the unit home, the receiver is simple to operate, the Black styling blends in to the background. The remote control works generally well, and I was pleased to see that it controls a Yamaha 5 disc CD player that I never had the remote for !
Im pleased that this unit has a Phono stage, which sounds OK,if not amazing.

I have to point out, that this is not an AV receiver, and has been wrongly put in this category on the web site. It wont switch video. It is 2 channel audio only.

The unit sounds good at all levels and the tuner is sensitive. OK- this is not the last word in Hifi quality but at this price I am very happy with the unit.
A real "no brainer" if you can get one cheap enough.

Purchased At:   Harvey Norman

Submitted by reviewer007 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
Never having owned any Yamaha audio equipment before, I did not know entirely what to expect when I bought this amplifier. I bought it only for my DVD/VCR/TV setup as I could not handle the absolutely horrible sound I was getting out of those 3 in 1 units you see in every department store. Yes! The dime a dozen ones you don't fix when they stop working, you throw them away and buy another.
As soon A I got the AX-396 up and running, I sat back and listened and was pleasantly surprised at its, what I would call, neutral sound at low to normal volume. It was decidedly better than what I had before and I immediately took a liking to it. One thing I am sure of is that its audio output sound is only as good as the device plugged into it is. I have now got a DVD, a VCR, a TV, a tuner plugged into this amp and I can honestly say that the audio quality differs with each component. That's because the other devices are not all equal in output quality.
What does that all mean?
It means that the AX-396 is a very versatile audio amp and tends to neutrally amplify exactly what goes into it, whereas some amplifiers tend to get boomy and/or sound like someone scratching a blackboard with their fingernails. The bass and treble seem adequate but not excessive. If you think the bass is a bit conservative, just wait until the volume is turned up a little or you can adjust the Loudness control. You soon begin to see that this is not the case. It is "spot-on" and I think the speakers which are used on it, will reproduce all sounds differently from brand to brand. On my 12" speakers, there is plenty of bass and it's not just boom boom bass either, though it can be if you want it to be but it can also be very good quality bass for much slower beat music or even orchestral music, reproducing those really deep notes with ease.
The one extra piece of equipment to compliment the AX-396 and most likely all other amplifiers, is a graphic equalizer. Once I added this unit, the AX-396 was beyond words. You can find your own magic settings and sit back to enjoy superb sounds. The EQ has perfectly complimented the AX-396.
As for the apparently modest 60 watts per channel @ 8 ohms, all I can add here is that it's amazing what 60 or less watts can do when put to good use. Quality not quantity.

Submitted by Sornny a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
Nice neutral and detailed sound without the hard treble you can hear from other so called detailed performers. Bass is very detailed but a bit low. Other equipment is: Audio Pro Image 40 speakers. Yamaha CDX396 CD player. B&O TX2 gramophone. Sony DVD. Be carefull with loudspeaker matching. Though it is a low end product you will discover the weak links in your system. (I had to change my B&W DM600 - they were to hard on the high frequencies).

Purchased At:   Siba Sweden