Yamaha RX-Z1 A/V Receivers

4.78/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $4299.00

Home theater receiver.

Submitted by lylesonbob a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2006

Bottom Line:
Yamaha receivers have long had the reputation of possessing the best surround effects processing available, and the RX-Z1 is near the pinacle in that regard. But what is most impressive about this receiver is the quality of sound, both musical and theatrical, that it produces. This is one of those rare home theater receivers that sounds superb both when used for watching movies and when listening to music.

As a multi-channel home theater controller, it creates astounding surround sound, and the exclusive Yamaha front effects channels add a sense of depth and spaciousness no other receiver manufacturer can match. It is also capable of utilizing all the latest surround mixes:Dolby Digital EX, DTS Digital Surround, DTS 96/24, DTS-ES and also includes Dolby Pro Logic II decoding for producing multi-channel sound from stereo sources. (The Dolby Pro Logic II Music mode works particularly well for surround sound with stardard music CDs.)

When listening to music, the RX-Z1 is a neutral, dynamic controller that adds virtually no coloration to the music being reproduced. Musical timbre and soundstaging is accurate, as is spacial imaging and coherency. And while the amplifiers in the RX-Z1 are the best Yamaha has produced to date (with the possible exception of the RX-Z9, which runs very hot!), the flexibility of being able to use main, center and surround RCA outputs on the back pannel allows the owner to add amplifiers of their choice to improve the sound even further.

In conclusion: This is one of those rare components that reveals more and more of the detail and subtleties in reproduced sound with each improvement in the other parts of the sound system: CD/DVD player, speakers, amps, turntable, interconnects, cables, etc. I have used many receivers and controllers over the years, but the Yamaha RX-Z1 stands out from the crowd in every important aspect. Highly recommended!

Purchased At:   Good Guys

Submitted by rzelinka a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
As is typical with a Yamaha offering, the build quality is absolutely solid. This unit weighs nearly 70 lbs, so getting it in a rack is no easy task.

Yamaha has always prided itself on it's DSP settings. Too be honest they are interesting but can't say I'll ever use any of them, other then the movie theater settings and 8 channel stereo.

Since my application is mostly home theater, I typically will watch a movie in either Dolby Digital or DTS. The Movie Theater DSP settings were an improvement for some movies but a step backwards for others. It's a trail and error thing to see which setting is best for your viewing pleasure. I did install the 2 front effects channels, I can't say that I could tell a noticable difference with them hooked up or not, tried them both ways (on and off), and either way, the way this unit handles movies is tremendous ! I think it is just as good as the Denon 5803.

I was one of the earlier fans of THX and the standards it stood for but over time I think it's become more of a good housekeeping seal of approval and I feel that Yamaha can do as good of a job without the THX certification.

There was one fly in the ointment with the performance of this unit with movies. For some reason, there were a couple of DTS encoded DVD's that expereinced severe drops in the audio. There was a time when all the channels were flashing on and off on the units display and the sound was going on and off. At first I thought it was the DVD so I changed the DVD player only to duplicate this, then I switched back to the Denon AVR 5803 and it played fine. This was really odd, and only happened with a few DTS encoded discs (DTS Demo disc 1 and 3 for example)

So being over all thrilled with it's movie performance I moved on to concert videos. When viewing concerts and music videos, I first tried either Dolby Digital and DTS settings. For some odd reason in these settings many of my music DVD's (Cher, Jouney 2001, Billy Joel) seemed to send the voices (singing) to the 2 main channels (L/R) and away from the center channel. At first I thought that somehow my center channel was disconnected as little or no sound was coming from it, so after checking it I tried several of the DSP settings. Although there was a noticable difference in acoustics, etc, the same issue with dialogue was present. Perhaps this was only the case with the music videos I was playing, or it's just the way the Yamaha likes to do things. My opinion was it made the sound seem hallow, or lacking in clarity.

One thing I really liked about the unit was it's volume control. At -25 DB the unit fils the room, at -15 db, it's riddiculous, and believe me I like it loud but it was even overkill for me. I think the 130 WPC is conservative on this unit, just I thought the 170 WPC on the Denon 5803 was over stated.

The unit is a solid unit, it's a great offering for Home Theater, and pure stereo offerings. It is really well defined and offers perfomance that is hard to beat. Only the Denon and B&K are better (and not by much) in my opinion in this category and those receivers are at least $ 1000 more.

My only concerns were listed in the Weakness section of my post, and many of the weakness' can be overcome, except for maybe the DTS audio issue on a few DVD's.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by mchughfour a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have finally updated my Yamaha RV-1105 amp (which I was very happy with) to the new Yamaha RX-Z1 - all I can say is WOW!! What a difference!!! This amp has 6 channels that are rated at 130Watts/channel (although I had read it is tested at 147 Watts/channel) and 2 front effect channels that are rated at 45 Watts/Channel. In addition - the 64 surround effects make my living room feel like I am really in the theater settings that it simulates - this is why I have always like Yamaha.

The added power and additional surround effects really gives that amp a big boost from what I had before - it sounds very, very clean even at theater volumes.

I am running the unit with full bandwidth loudspeakers that helps to give an extra kick since you can run them as large speakers when you setup the amp for all the speakers:
DCM KX12 - 12" woofer- for Main Speakers
DCM 16S - 6" woofer - for Front Effects
DCM KX6 - 6" woofer - for Rear Surrounds
DCM OW-2 - 6" woofer - for Rear Center
2 - CAS 200 Watt 15" Subwoofers
All Speaker Wire - 12 GA Monster Wire - with Gold Bananna Plugs to make a clean connection with the Amp
Toshiba 3780 Progressive Scan DVD
Teac 5 Disc CD Player
36" Sony TV
TOS Fiber Links
Monster cable - Gold Tip RCA Jacks

This system really kicks for $4K investment compared to my friends $20K investment in Denon 5803 /Atlantic Technology System.

The only complaint that I have is that this amp is very heavy at 64lbs! To get it into my glassed enclosed entertainment center was a job - I had to re-adjusted the selving for the added height and cooling for the amp - and cut out the back to handle the wiring - and was very time consuming to get everything wired up - with 10 speakers (8 channels + 2 subwoofers) It is also costly if you are purchasing additional speakers to handle the 8.1 channels vs. the 5.1 channel amps out their. But is is worth it!!

Purchased At:   e-bay

Submitted by mr rdr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have had this receiver for 3 months and i ahve nothing but good things to say about it. Beautiful sounding receiver with plenty of head room and plenty of power to spare

Purchased At:   american tv

Submitted by DigitalGriffin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is clearly Yamaha's best product to date. Excellent damping characteristics (fast speaker response), low noise floor, better DSPs.

Simbalance in center channel has improved considerably over my previous RX-V2095. Lot's of abundant power and soundstage without sounding compressed at louder volume levels. Lacks the power of Denon's 5803, but it's $1000 cheaper, and hooked to my 5500 total watts in 5 subs it's really not an issue.

Yamaha's are extremely flat in frequency response. Sometimes this is perceived as being "bright." If you have bright speakers (ie Klipsch) you might want to look to another another brand.

Working on controller software for RX-Z1 that automatically switches sound field based on CD disc/song in Sony CD megachanger. (Thanks yamaha for publishing the spec.)

Dolby Prologic II (PLII) is a big improvement over Pro Logic. However other DSP's sound like they don't use PLII with 2 channel sources. (ie Cinema Specticle, Sci-Fi, General, Adventure) I could be wrong about this.

Would give this product 4 1/2 stars.

Purchased At:   Tweeter