Yamaha RX-V995 A/V Receivers

4.6/5 (337 Reviews) MSRP : $999.00

Dolby Pro Logic/Digital/DTS - Yamaha's Digital Sound Field Processing (recreates the acoustic personalities of actual concert halls and other venues), Cinema DSP, and Tri-Field Processing - 100w x 5 channels - 6-channel direct input - 5 composite A/V inputs - 1 s-video input - 3 analog audio inputs - 4 digital audio inputs

Submitted by Brandon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2011

Bottom Line:
To preface this summary/review, I am a custom CE design/sales/installer and have done home theater rooms in excess of $30k. So I've heard GOOD sounding equipment and speakers before. I have it hooked up to bookshelf fronts and center, and satellite rear surrounds, with a Canton 10" subwoofer in a 15' x 15' concrete floor room. My sources are a HTPC (blu-ray/HD-DVD), Satellite receiver, CD Changer, & Phonograph. I also have an older Pioneer SA-940 which only runs my tower speakers for Vinyl & two channel stereo listening. There's still nothing like an old integrated amplifier for pure sounding music.

I purchased this Yamaha receiver for $65.00 at a Goodwill Auction in Austin, TX. I guess I got a great deal. It will decode DTS and Dolby Digital, so it suits my needs very well. I plugged it in, in place of my Marantz SR5001 which has HDMI and Component Video inputs/outputs. And let me tell you.... It sounds great! 100wpc x 5 and loads of surround settings! It doesn't have as much clean power as pre-pro and separate power amplifier would, but for an A/V receiver it sounds very nice for bookshelf fronts and satellite rears. It instantly sounded better than the Marantz, even though the Marantz did an adequate job for surround sound, the Yamaha sounds loads better for surround sound AND two channel stuff like CD's and iPod. The only thing this receiver lacks is assignable digital inputs. They are all just pre-set and you can't rename them. But for a receiver from the year i graduated high-school (1999) it still looks new and sounds great. It also has zone two pre-out for audio and video. You just turn the knob on the front to select what you want to hear from the zone two pre-out. If i found another one of these for the same price i paid, i would pick it up and resell it for about $300 like the ones i saw on Amazon.com yesterday (4-12-11). If you find one of these surround receivers in good working order, it should still satisfy your needs if you don't need HD video switching. Good luck.

Submitted by alfonzo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have had other brands of receivers before but kicked them to the curb with in two years. Purchased this unit new more than ten years ago and have used it non stop. I paid $1000 for it new and still performs like day one. It has taken the abuse of moving a dozen times. Volume at max for hours with no sound distortion which means never a blown speaker. I have never even opened it up to clean the dust. I hate to say it, but I have abused this piece of electronic all its life and it just keeps on going. Yamaha really put this one together well. From music blasting to clear Digital Theater Sound, you will not be disappointed.

Submitted by rukiddinme a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2009

Bottom Line:
So, how 'bout $30 on craigslist? That's what I paid a couple of days ago for one. I couldn't believe the guy was willing to unload it for that little. As soon as I saw it on craigslist, I immediately jumped before someone else snatched it up. All it needed was a bit of cleaning, and it looks almost new...and it sounds awesome...absolutely incredible for $30. I'd say that it may be the best 30 bucks I've ever spent in my entire life!

Submitted by Translunar a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2009

Bottom Line:
Craigslist....$65.00 Im still laughing. Connected to B&W 601's and a 10" Velodyne. Insane! This 2 ch set up will floor you! I have Martin Logans, Infinity, Klipsch, Boston, but this is my favorite set up. So much from so little. Great old receiver. It refuses to die.

Submitted by Tonyvdb a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
The RX-V995 exsibites amazing clarity and difinition to all 5 channels. Its true 100 watts per ch. is clear all the way to the cliping point Many companies do not rate the receivers to true peak watage and over estimate the amount of power that they produce.