Yamaha RX-V793 A/V Receivers

4.33/5 (66 Reviews) MSRP : $800.00

Submitted by Aduma a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2006

Bottom Line:
Needed something for a basic surround setup. I wanted something with two coax digital inputs, which this has.

Mains: Event 20/20s.
Center: EV Sonic XS (very sweet for computer speakers)
Surrounds: Polk R15 (needed something, they are cheap)
Sub: McCauley 6232 in a custom box driven by QSC PLX 1602.

This receiver has plenty of power to drive the 20/20s and preouts for all channels which is nice. (I drive the center channel using the preout.) I can only ride the volume control up to about 1/4th before it is too loud.

I would highly recommend as a basic receiver, provided you don't absolutely need component switching. If you can find it cheap, it is a worthy receiver.

Purchased At:   Buy-Sell-Trade

Submitted by imgettingcloser a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
Bought it new in 1998 when DD 5.1 was still a bit new. This is a very good reciver. Has many DSP's that are very good ( Jazz, Rock Concert, And of course the DD and DP.) and some that aren't ( Church, Concert Hall, And Stadium ) they sound like your in an echo chamber. Remote is a liitle out there, too many buttons and most are to small, I use the One for all kamelon ( it is a great remote ). The sound from the onboard amplifier is very good, clean power. Features of this reciver are decent, has all the main inputs and outputs ( love the fact that it has the 5.1 outputs to hook up seperate amplifiers ). But it needs more Digital audio and S-video inputs plus there are no component video inputs but as there was no component video when it was made that is understandable. But I think this was/is a great reciver for HT and music. Great sound and looks. But since I started upgrading my system this will get replaced, but it will be the last part of the system to go.

My System:

Speaker & interconnect cables: Blue Jeans Cable

Purchased At:   Sound Advice

Submitted by Bob R a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
My first entry into Dolby Digital. Have owned since 1998 and love this receiver. Tried Sony, Teac, Pioneer and this blew them away. Sound is crisp and clean. Use nearly 100% for Home theater. I am now n process of upgrading to newer 6.1 DTS ES discreet, Pro Logic 2 model... probably Yamaha HTR-5590. No regrets with the 793. I'm sticking with Yamaha.

Purchased At:   Good Guys

Submitted by Drexel Smith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
I heard the Yamaha RX-V793 at The Wiz in stereo mode only and the Salesperson told me for the price that it can't be beat. I took it home and hooked it up to Polk Audio RT55 for the fronts Polk Audio 400 for the center a pair of Polk
Audio fx/500 for the rear and a velodyne sub. The sound is unbelievable. I love this reciever. Thank you The Wiz.

Purchased At:   The Wiz

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is my first venture into home theater and i must say that i am quite impressed. I used this for home theater, music listening, and for throwing parties. I took this to college for my junior and senior years and it survived a bit of abuse and moving, but i have never had a problem with it. My dvd player did not have a dolby digital decoder in it and this reciever did the job just fine. I love this piece.

my system
yamaha rx-v793
paradigm monitor 3's main speakers
paradigm cc-350 center channel
paradigm ps-1000 powered sub
cheap surrounds (soon to be mini monitors)
sony cdp-ca70es cd changer