Yamaha RP-U100 Five-Channel PC Receiver A/V Receivers

The first product to consider the PC an audio source, the RP-U100 is designed to work with a computer. It provides analog and digital inputs and outputs, high quality audio amplifier, AM/FM tuner with more than 200 possible presets, and a home theater experience via Virtual Dolby Digital and Yamaha's Near-Field DSP.

Submitted by Roy Eassa a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
For the incredible price I paid ($30, after a $50 Yamaha rebate), this is a great product. The buy of the century! It has nice features and appears to work as advertised. It looks great. But like anything, it does have some drawbacks.

(Also, my ATI All-in-Wonder card *requires* 2 connections to an analog sound card, so I can't replace my Sound Blaster anyway, greatly reducing the value of the Yamaha in my setup.)

Purchased At:   buy.com

Submitted by Henry Underwood a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
The RP-U100 is NOT a five-channel receiver as the description of the product states. It is a 2 channel stereo receiver with 30 watts per channel. It is very good looking and comes with it's own software that is compatible with any version of windows. This software controls the DSP effects, volume, input selection and turning it off or on. It is made to act as an external soundcard for a computer through a USB connection. Setup was easy. I have found it is the best product for me to connect my computer to my stereo. And the great thing is it has it's own amplifier, so i just connect my speakers to the back to get awesome souind from my mp3 collection and great sound for computer games! It has other inputs on the back, too. It also has optical in/out, digital out, and many line level in/outs. This means you can use it as a recording device! The RP-100 is 1 out of 4 of yamaha's external sound cards. It has the most stereo power, but no remote. The best model tehy make has surround sound, but less power to each channel. Right now I have one CD player connected to it, my computer, and a turntable to the digital in. I use PSB Alpha minis which are another incredible value. Check out PSB's line at www.psbspeakers.com. Another main reason I chose this was the fact is has a subwoofer output. To the I connected a Hsu Research VTF-2. The sound is Incredible, and i highly recommend looking at a powered subwoofer. 30 watts might not sound like much, but to bookshelf speakers, It plays louder than I have ever cared to listen or party to music.

Purchased At:   www.yamahamultimedia